diy solar

diy solar

Do NOT discard a Dead Victron MPPT 100/30 or its kind

Very likely the fuse blown. If you can open up the casing/enclosure carefully without damaging other components, bypass the fuse and hook up to the battery. If it powers up then, your fuse is bad. The difficulty task is to open up the casing without damaging the other components.

Very likely the fuse blown. If you can open up the casing/enclosure carefully without damaging other components, bypass the fuse and hook up to the battery. If it powers up then, your fuse is bad. The difficulty task is to open up the casing without damaging the other components.
The casing doesn’t open even if I remove the screws. Is it glued in

Given I believe these are enhanced synchronous converters , these designs have a mosfet in parallel with the output instead of a typical fast diode. My view is that diodes Vds spec was exceeded and it’s blown short.

I have a Victron mppt 100/20 damaged by lightening strike. The output mosfets I suspect are gone as there is a direct short on the mppt dc output.

Is it possible to open these ? What’s involved
What sort of lightning over voltage protection did you have on your array or house that it failed to protect the Victron?

The casing doesn’t open even if I remove the screws. Is it glued in

Given I believe these are enhanced synchronous converters , these designs have a mosfet in parallel with the output instead of a typical fast diode. My view is that diodes Vds spec was exceeded and it’s blown short.
Fuse is there to protect other components. If you decide to trash it, please let me know.

Some updates on mine and beginning to think it is not related to a fuse. So I get an error that comes up #21 Current Sensor issue. I can disconnect the solar side and re connect it will work but still only with the amp setting at 1amp. If I change this setting to 2amp the amperage rises and then it disconnects or watts completely drops to 0. After some time you see the watts come up to around 20watts then drop again. So it will run a good long time set at this 1amp but that isnt going to charge anything. I have 60v coming in on solar but can only limit it to 1amp charge to battery. Guess I am stuck with un-reparable one.

Some updates on mine and beginning to think it is not related to a fuse. So I get an error that comes up #21 Current Sensor issue. I can disconnect the solar side and re connect it will work but still only with the amp setting at 1amp. If I change this setting to 2amp the amperage rises and then it disconnects or watts completely drops to 0. After some time you see the watts come up to around 20watts then drop again. So it will run a good long time set at this 1amp but that isnt going to charge anything. I have 60v coming in on solar but can only limit it to 1amp charge to battery. Guess I am stuck with un-reparable one.
Current Sensor is typically a Shunt Resistor. Might be burnt up. Wouldn't be surprised if it is between the 2 negative terminals. Have you shorted them together of bypassed one?

Current Sensor is typically a Shunt Resistor. Might be burnt up. Wouldn't be surprised if it is between the 2 negative terminals. Have you shorted them together of bypassed one?
I think you are 100 percent correct and I did have a issue once with friends hook up that the connector polarity to battery was incorrect. But as I recall it was working ok after that. I have it as a portable setup with Anderson connectors and his setup had the polarity switched in the connector. But from a device such as this would not think such of a thing would damage it whereas so many cheap devices have protection for reverse polarity.

I think you are 100 percent correct and I did have a issue once with friends hook up that the connector polarity to battery was incorrect. But as I recall it was working ok after that. I have it as a portable setup with Anderson connectors and his setup had the polarity switched in the connector. But from a device such as this would not think such of a thing would damage it whereas so many cheap devices have protection for reverse polarity

I have a similar problem (current below an amp). Could you fix it in the end?

I though the charge controller restricts current if over paneled
Yeah Victron is somewhat unique in this respect. Most MPPT’s wouldn’t be damaged by having more amps available than they will pull - for some reason Victron actually can be damaged by having too many amps available in addition to having too much voltage. I wonder how they seem to be fundamentally different in this way…

Back