diy solar

diy solar

EG-4 18kw pv inverter, generator won't with it

JJB

Need help please, probably something I'm doing wrong. Signature Solar stopped communicating with me and I don't know where to go from here.

So I've had my EG4 18kw pv inverter functioning for about 9 months. Been happy with it! I am trying to connect a Generact ecogen 6000 kw generator to EG4 generator input terminals. My problem when generator is running and EG4 connects to generator, generator will fault out (voltage too high).

Please note I have an interlock with generator that automatically unloads some of my house load.

Thanks JJB

Make sure you have the latest available firmware because there are a lot of improvements made to the generator functionality from I think 1717 on. 1919 is the current firmware.

Need help please, probably something I'm doing wrong. Signature Solar stopped communicating with me and I don't know where to go from here.

So I've had my EG4 18kw pv inverter functioning for about 9 months. Been happy with it! I am trying to connect a Generact ecogen 6000 kw generator to EG4 generator input terminals. My problem when generator is running and EG4 connects to generator, generator will fault out (voltage too high).

Please note I have an interlock with generator that automatically unloads some of my house load.

Thanks JJB
Hi JJB! I'm so sorry we've lost contact with you! I've Dm'd you to request your email so that I can get you reconnected!

Thanks JJB
What voltage is your gen putting out?

18kpv seem to be pretty picky about generator power. My 12k gen, which worked fine with my old schneider system, will only run loads through the 18kpv. It will never switch over to battery charging. Had to add a chargeverter for that

Hi JJB! I'm so sorry we've lost contact with you! I've Dm'd you to request your email so that I can get you reconnected!
Hi SS Jess

Thanks for your concern. I know your technical staff are busy , but my problem has been
ignored. So I believe my problem now will be addressed and also we can share results to help other forum members.

Thanks JJB

Make sure you have the latest available firmware because there are a lot of improvements made to the generator functionality from I think 1717 on. 1919 is the current firmware.
Hi Quattro head

Thanks will check that

Hi SS Jess

Thanks for your concern. I know your technical staff are busy , but my problem has been
ignored. So I believe my problem now will be addressed and also we can share results to help other forum members.

Thanks JJB
You're so welcome! We will get you taken care of today!

Hi SS Jess

Thanks JJB
Hi SS Jess

Is it possible for your technical staff to also share conversation with Diy forum?

What voltage is your gen putting out?

18kpv seem to be pretty picky about generator power. My 12k gen, which worked fine with my old schneider system, will only run loads through the 18kpv. It will never switch over to battery charging. Had to add a chargeverter for that
Hi

My generator noload voltage is 242 volts.

My generac Ecogen 6000 also worked fine on an old Schneider system. Yes I do realize a chargeverter would solve my problems, but shouldn't EG4 be addressing this problem? After all we did buy a 18kpv so we could have a all in one system. The old Schneider works. I can only assume SolArk does also

Sounds like the 18kpv is backfeeding the gen?
My thoughts exactly. My Generac Ecogen 6000 monitors voltage and frequency very closely. It will not change voltage to match inverter. 18kpv has to match my generator or igenerator will fault out

What is the measured inverter voltage output
Well I've viewed voltage previously with grid voltage on. Inverter will match grid voltage and is usually between 245 - 250 volts. I haven't been able to note voltage when grid is off and generator is running.

I'm reluctant to try generator any more til this problem is fixed, back feed may damage electronics in generator

Is your generator feeding the 18kPv through a whole house transfer switch? Or is it feeding directly into the gen terminals on the 18kPv? You said:
Is that in a transfer switch with load shedding?

If you have a transfer switch on grid side, where if grid goes down the gen feeds into grid terminals on the 18kPv (via the transfer switch), then the 18kPv won't know not to backfeed with excess solar.

If you are feeding into the gen terminals this is obviously not the case.

I'm not familiar with the 18kPv (I know the specs etc., but haven't used one yet.) but we use a lot of Sol-Arks. I will say that in general we have not had good success with Generac gens on inverters! That goes for even brands like Schneider, etc.

We had a job where we installed a Sol-Ark and were going to use the existing Generac, but it simply didn't work and we ended up swapping the gen out for a Kohler 14kW. This was NOT the Ecogen like you have, though. It was an older Generac. However, when I called the local Generac dealer to discuss the issue, he pretty much told me that in general the Generac generators are not a good fit for inverter systems, as they tend to not put out clean enough power.

I am not saying it will never work! But if the Generac is putting out dirty power it will be very hard for the 18kPv to stay in sync with the gen, therefore the chances of backfeeding will be higher! Very likely some of the reason that the 18kPv has issues, when the old Schneider system worked with it, is that the 18kPv is trying to more-or-less "work with" the gen. In other words, it wants to use available solar power alongside the gen power when possible. Therefore the general theory of operation will be a little different than a Schneider inverter/charger. (I do realize that the Schneiders can do grid assist and/or peak shave depending on the model, but it's still a bit different than an all-in-one inverter, and it's also related to the internal topology, e.g. HV DC bus, vs transformer stepping up the voltage.)

Reactions: JJB
Is your generator feeding the 18kPv through a whole house transfer switch? Or is it feeding directly into the gen terminals on the 18kPv? You said:

Is that in a transfer switch with load shedding?

If you have a transfer switch on grid side, where if grid goes down the gen feeds into grid terminals on the 18kPv (via the transfer switch), then the 18kPv won't know not to backfeed with excess solar.

If you are feeding into the gen terminals this is obviously not the case.

I'm not familiar with the 18kPv (I know the specs etc., but haven't used one yet.) but we use a lot of Sol-Arks. I will say that in general we have not had good success with Generac gens on inverters! That goes for even brands like Schneider, etc.

We had a job where we installed a Sol-Ark and were going to use the existing Generac, but it simply didn't work and we ended up swapping the gen out for a Kohler 14kW. This was NOT the Ecogen like you have, though. It was an older Generac. However, when I called the local Generac dealer to discuss the issue, he pretty much told me that in general the Generac generators are not a good fit for inverter systems, as they tend to not put out clean enough power.

I am not saying it will never work! But if the Generac is putting out dirty power it will be very hard for the 18kPv to stay in sync with the gen, therefore the chances of backfeeding will be higher! Very likely some of the reason that the 18kPv has issues, when the old Schneider system worked with it, is that the 18kPv is trying to more-or-less "work with" the gen. In other words, it wants to use available solar power alongside the gen power when possible. Therefore the general theory of operation will be a little different than a Sch

neider inverter/charger. (I do realize that the Schneiders can do grid assist and/or peak shave depending on the model, but it's still a bit different than an all-in-one inverter, and it's also related to the internal topology, e.g. HV DC bus, vs transformer stepping up the voltage.)
Hi

You do have some interesting input. For me input about SolArk educated me, good to know.

To answer some of your questions. I am feeding generator directly into generator terminal in inverter.
This generator has a little bit of history. At one time before my solar, generator
was used only for power outage. In my house I had a small UPS for one computer.
This UPS would accept my generator power. My experience with small UPS
is they are very fussy with voltage and frequency.

Me, not knowing how inverter accepts generator power would think inverter manufactures
would only use generator to power battery. Something like a separate charge better.
That would make a desirable system.

Is this how inverter manufactures are designing? Any thoughts about this?

Back