diy solar

diy solar

EG 4 3kW inverter no ac output

Wineguy

I have a new EG 4 3kW AIO powered by a solar array (4 390W in series Voc of 192V) and a new EG4 LL 48V LFP 100ah battery. I fired it up for the first time today and PV seems to be charging the battery fine but I have no AC out from the inverter. I called Sig Solar and actually spoke with someone and then sent pics and readings but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I get no load information on the screen and I have no AC out. I checked, checked again and then checked again that all was set up correctly and that all connections were tight and positive. I have good battery voltage and PV voltage going in to the inverter but nothing coming out as AC. Thanks

I assume you turned inverter on with the switch on the unit. After booting up what does the screen indicate for the various values of input? A photo of your setup would help.

I have a new EG 4 3kW AIO powered by a solar array (4 390W in series Voc of 192V) and a new EG4 LL 48V LFP 100ah battery. I fired it up for the first time today and PV seems to be charging the battery fine but I have no AC out from the inverter. I called Sig Solar and actually spoke with someone and then sent pics and readings but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I get no load information on the screen and I have no AC out. I checked, checked again and then checked again that all was set up correctly and that all connections were tight and positive. I have good battery voltage and PV voltage going in to the inverter but nothing coming out as AC. Thanks

If possible, would you be able to post a few pictures of this on the thread?

I am still waiting on a reply from Sig Solar. However, I went in and changed the battery type (setting 05) from L1 1 (LFP) to User (user defined) and it appears that things are functioning correctly. I am not quite yet ready to claim victory on this but am feeling better that things are functioning as designed at the moment. Yesterday, I turned the system on for about 5 hours and the battery was charged from ~ 50% SOC to 100% SOC on a day of some sun and some clouds and some rain. BTW, I went back in and changed the setting back to L1 1 and, once set, heard an audible "click" inside the inverter and the original condition returned (no AC output and no load information showing on the screen). Therefore, I changed setting 05 battery type back to "User", and all seems to be functioning properly again. I will update once I get some info from Sig Solar. Here is a pic of the setup. Note that this is a temporary set up that I am home testing for at least a few weeks before I take it to a remote cabin location with boat in only access, no grid power, no cell service, etc. You get the picture here, best to troubleshoot as much as possible when I have comms and ability to drive somewhere. One line is roughly: Following the positive from the Battery: battery to t class fuse to bus bar to nader breaker (supplied by EG4) to inverter. Negative from battery to bus bar to inverter. Solar input has an inline fuse on positive, breaker, then input into inverter. AC Output to a main lug load center with a 30 amp breaker and stacked 15/20 amp breaker. DC output to a 48V to 12 V converter with in line fuse on positive and then breaker. N/G bond in the load center with a conductor to earth ground from the ground bus inside the load center. (FYI, I did send this one line to Sig Solar before installation and got a thumbs up from then before firing up the system) No AC input so far, although I have a 12 awg power tool cord wired into the AC input lugs on the inverter if, at some point, I need to charge the battery with a small generator that I have at the cabin. I have not yet checked on whether AC input will function from a generator.

One question I do have is whether I should also ground the EG4 LL battery to earth ground (same earth ground as the load center and the solar array) once I permanently install at the cabin.

Attachments

• EG4system.jpg
    EG4system.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 7
I would recommend trying BMS communication again. However, moving to the RS485 port on the battery and making sure the protocol is set to EG4.

OK, I did get continuing help from Sig Solar (Thank you to Leila!) and I think the situation has been remedied. I did two things as recommended by Sig Solar rep. First, I changed battery setup setting 05 to Li 4. Next, I re-established RS485 BMS connection by changing dip switches, shutting down the BMS and then making sure protocol was correct on the EG4 battery. I then changed the dip switches back to the original condition. I now have a functioning system (at least for the last hour!) and I tested loads and all seems to be working as designed. I will update if something runs amiss.

Back