diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 18k issues. Unable to run for over month of attempts

JPLPS

I have had this system over a month and was able to set it up quickly. The wifi dongle has never worked and SIGNATURE Solar has already sent 3 replacement units.

They tell me the system needs firmware but until I am able to connect the system to the dongle I am forever waiting.

I am familiar with being off the grid 100% of the time. Between growatt and bluetti I have been off grid for over a year. The last month has been tough, to have a system that Will continues to put out positive reviews for and it definitely hasn't JUST WORKED for me is disappointing. Suggestions? What am I missing?

Attachments

• 16908465514293242323258325539033.jpg
    16908465514293242323258325539033.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 16908465890518400244157931113173.jpg
    16908465890518400244157931113173.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 16908466069566239726247002793184.jpg
    16908466069566239726247002793184.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 16908466331387055355550395637560.jpg
    16908466331387055355550395637560.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 89
I have had this system over a month and was able to set it up quickly. The wifi dongle has never worked and SIGNATURE Solar has already sent 3 replacement units.

They tell me the system needs firmware but until I am able to connect the system to the dongle I am forever waiting.

I am familiar with being off the grid 100% of the time. Between growatt and bluetti I have been off grid for over a year. The last month has been tough, to have a system that Will continues to put out positive reviews for and it definitely hasn't JUST WORKED for me is disappointing. Suggestions? What am I missing?
I don't have anything I can help with. I've been watching this inverter since it was released, and this is the first post I've seen of any real issue/complaint/unhappiness, as such, I'm following with interest. I hope you can get the help you need to get it working.

Other than firmware/wifi, is it at least producing power and such?

JP,

You're having the same problem I had and I wasted the last week on it, but I did get it figured out. I think I can help. I'll write up a quick guide and post a link to it here and in the main forum since I think everyone using this inverter and these batteries will have this exact problem.

Here it is... https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-18kpv-problems-and-solution.66568/

Luc

Last edited:
You're not alone, I'm going back and fourth between Signature Solar staff and Gilbert, the Luxpower guy. The most important aspects of this inverter are not working as advertised, regardless of whom works on it. Pulling my hair out to say the least.

Why don't you have the load neutral hooked up?

Does the dongle show any lights?

How about throwing together a quick video of the dongle and how you set it up.

when you connect to the eg4's wifi. What frequency is it at? 5ghz or 2.4? Is your wifi network the same frequency? Some devices I have will only work on one of the two wifi frequencies.

Looks like you have solar hooked up but no batteries...is that accurate?

Show us you battery setting screen (goto Advance and click Down Arrow Once) if you are using Lithium...you need to have comms. Comms won't work with LP4 batteries unless you have battery firmware 3.26 or the Lifepower4 Communication Hub.

Hi guys,

For anyone have problems with this inverter AND eg4 LifePower4 batteries, here is the solution. I wrote it up because I wasted a ton of time and all of this could have been better documented. If you have questions let me know in that thread of DM me.

Luc

1) Download the battery utility from eg4electronics.com and then get and install the correct firmware for your LP4's

2) Get a USB stick, format it FAT32, put the firmware on it. Turn everything off, plug it in, turn it on. Display will show the update in progresss.
alternate
2) Register your gear at monitor.eg4electronics.com, Download the app on an android device. Connect wifi to the device. EG4 app "local connect" to the device. verify things are working. Exit, Back to normal connection. EG4 app download firmware, it should show up in the list. Wifi back to dongle, connect and upgrade.

Why don't you have the load neutral hooked up?

Does the dongle show any lights?

How about throwing together a quick video of the dongle and how you set it up.
I had it tied in; I was trying something suggested on another forum. It didn't work; I hadn't tied it back in yet.

The dongle has always consistently shown a solid bottom light, a flashing middle light, and no light at the top. The only time it would change was when it needed to reset; then, it went back to the same as it was before the reset.

I already did the video and screenshots and sent them to Signature Solar. (3 separate times) I have been sent 4 total dongles already.

Just do things one at a time, if you get stuck we can help. You can also use the EG4 app and connect the dongle to your home wifi (Dongle connect). Once it's online @Markus_SignatureSolar 's team can get in and do all the upgrades for you. Touch here before you get in the weeds.
Thanks, I spoke with Markus today. It has been a tough month :)

I don't have anything I can help with. I've been watching this inverter since it was released, and this is the first post I've seen of any real issue/complaint/unhappiness, as such, I'm following with interest. I hope you can get the help you need to get it working.

Other than firmware/wifi, is it at least producing power and such?
No power going out yet. That is where the frustration is coming from.

Keep in mind, these boxes are really new, and have a lot of different functionality. Don't get in a rush, and things are not going to work very well until you get the firmware upgraded on all the components. Then attack your problems one at a time, not all at once.

Keep in mind, these boxes are really new, and have a lot of different functionality. Don't get in a rush, and things are not going to work very well until you get the firmware upgraded on all the components. Then attack your problems one at a time, not all at once.
Understood, trying to stay positive has been the toughest part. I get the newness of the product, and Signature Solar has done nothing but try to assist to get it going so I can get back to off-grid status again.

Back