diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kpv Install Progress

Watts Happening

I call it like I see it.
Howdy there! I just upgraded our main service from 100a>200a. I would have considered putting the entire house on the 18kpv, but I didn’t have anywhere realistic to put the batteries. So I went with a 100a critical loads panel that has 90% of the home loads in it. Inverter is in the garage, batteries will be on top of the gun safe.

I’ll be pulling 2awg wire from the inverter to the transfer switch tomorrow as well as adding a 50a circuit from the garage subpanel to feed the line side for days of low production.

Here’s the progress thus far (I’ll keep it updated as things get done):

Attachments

• IMG_5736.jpeg
    IMG_5736.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5737.jpeg
    IMG_5737.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5741.jpeg
    IMG_5741.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5743.jpeg
    IMG_5743.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Update - 7/18/23

Ran (3) #2 wires plus a #6 ground from the garage, under the house and out to the transfer switch today (not the most fun thing in the world). Then trimmed them out on each side and added a grounding lug to the Wireway. Also pulled a 14/2 and cat6 for emergency shut off and CTs.

Then mounted 600a bus bars and made battery cables.

She’s getting close!

IMG_5831.jpeg
IMG_5832.jpeg
IMG_5833.jpeg

Looks Great! The PVC pipe makes the job so much easier and the DC cables look protected. I'm glad to see positive comments of some one's work.
Much appreciated!

I considered doing all EMT but I already had plenty of 2” schedule 80 PVC laying around from the main panel upgrade. I figure if it’s good enough to protect my home outside, it’s plenty safe up high inside. Honestly it’s very thick pipe.

I did however do the PV wires in 3/4 EMT, per code it’s required and it didn’t seem worth taking a risk to get called out on it. It’s pretty easy stuff to work with anyhow.

I understand, I'm in the process of changing out my pv wire as well to EMT to keep it all happy.

Much appreciated!

I considered doing all EMT but I already had plenty of 2” schedule 80 PVC laying around from the main panel upgrade. I figure if it’s good enough to protect my home outside, it’s plenty safe up high inside. Honestly it’s very thick pipe.

I did however do the PV wires in 3/4 EMT, per code it’s required and it didn’t seem worth taking a risk to get called out on it. It’s pretty easy stuff to work with anyhow.

I installed my arrays 20 years ago with 1" PVC, #6 wire 48v nominal voltage - there wasn't high voltage controllers then

Looks good! Building mine as well.

6AWG ok to run from main panel 60A to the inverter and then from the inverter to the critical load? less than 12' each way. Would be only 5' if I didn't have to run an external disconnect switch. ;)

Back