diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18KPV-Using the Smart Load Feature to EV Charge

Henderson

Solar Enthusiast
Hello and happy new year to everyone. I recently wired in my EV to charge from solar and batteries using the 18KPV and it has been working great. The EV charger is wired on the load output side of the 18KPV inverter and whereas this does work well, wiring using this method, the EV could potentially take all the charge from the battery leaving no charge to sustain regular house loads. To address this, I am going to rewire the EV charger to use the GEN terminals to utilize the smart load feature of the 18KPV.

I have 60KWH of batteries so far (hoping to add another 30KWH this year) and plan to set the smart load to turn on only if SOC is greater than 90% and turn off smart load if SOC drops below 40%. I believe this approach will work well for my scenario. My question however is this....can I tell the 18KPV inverter to only discharge say a maximum of 30KWH through the smart load terminals? I know I can tell it how many KWs to discharge while the smart load discharge is occurring, but would be really great if I could tell it as well how many KWHs maximum to discharge while the batteries are between that SOC 40% to 90%. I'm looking for a way where I can charge up the EV at night without having to give any thought to the EV draining the batteries leaving nothing to power the regular house loads.

Thanks.

No native function to do that.

Suggestion: Set the EV charger to charge at 6kW, and to charge between midnight and 5am.
Thanks, sounds like a decent workaround. Will probably make the charging window earlier to ensure I can start the charging during the higher SOC range but this could definitely work.

Back