diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000 Power Outage Causes Operation Faults

earthcub

I'm working with an electrician who's an AC expert and DC novice. We've installed an EG4 6000 with LifeForce battery, just purchased in December. I'm adding a diagram of the setup. It's minimal as my intention is to expand as money permits. At this time, I would like the system to function solely to keep my fridge, computer and router running during power outages which we get many of where I live.

We hooked everything up and shut off the power at the pedestal to my manufactured home and it worked brilliantly. The EG4 drew power from the battery, sending it to the main panel and powering the circuits that were open to the house from the main bus. The next day, the power company shut off the power to do replacements of power lines in the area and our system failed. I heard beeping before it completely shut down. I tried starting it back up and it produced a fault 53 (internal components failed), followed by a fault 05 (output short circuited, check if wiring is connected well and remove abnormal load). I called Signature Solar and they had me send in video and pictures and while doing this, I also got fault 07 (overload error, the inverter is overload 110% and time is up). They weren't able to figure anything out but suggested that we check the wiring to the AC of which they couldn't support. The electrician double-checked everything and insisted that everything was set up correctly.

When the power was turned back on by power company, the EG4 returned back to normal function, however, I'm not able to get the unit to supply power to the main panel when turning off the power at the pedestal any longer. The unit shuts down without producing a warning or fault. We're baffled.

Questions/Thoughts
  1. Is the unit truly malfunctioning or is it not capable of being set up in the way we have set it up?
  2. Did the power company not really turn off power to the home but only disconnect the neutral, causing the EG4 to still receive voltage with no return causing it to malfunction?
  3. Is the EG4 able to operate as a transfer switch in the way we have it wired or do we have to install an ATS between the pedestal and the main panel?
Thank you in advance for your attention to this issue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.31.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.31.13 PM.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 6
Back