diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP Released, ordered. Let's Go!

So if one was running a single 18K PV totally off grid and pondering whether it would always be able to handle it or add a second, would it be better to order three or four 6000 XP and set those up instead?
What if anything would you actually lose?

So if one was running a single 18K PV totally off grid and pondering whether it would always be able to handle it or add a second, would it be better to order three or four 6000 XP and set those up instead?
What if anything would you actually lose?

You’d lose a bit in idle consumption. Otherwise the xp seems just as capable in most areas. A bit weaker in line balancing.

I have a question for those using their 6000xp (or xp’s) as the grid input for their 18kpv:

since even in a non-export mode, brief pulses of power will backfeed into the AC output of the 6000xp when a large load turns off in the house, can this damage the 6000xp(s)?

I have a question for those using their 6000xp (or xp’s) as the grid input for their 18kpv:

since even in a non-export mode, brief pulses of power will backfeed into the AC output of the 6000xp when a large load turns off in the house, can this damage the 6000xp(s)?
The XPs simply reverse and push the dump load into the batteries. I'll check if I uploaded a video showing this.

Note: this isn't an officially supported setup.

That bodes well for this platform being able to support AC coupling in the future.

LXP has a couple other inverters with good track record of reversing, too.

Yay - finally have a shipping label created by CC today for my 6000xp ordered back on 10/30. ?

I'm especially glad since my current EG4 3000 EHV unit acquired a problem somehow - I can only charge it from (or even have it connected to) the grid if I turn off the inverter. It worked perfectly for a few months, and then one day the inverter turned off and it had a fault light with an over voltage error code. I eventually discovered that if I disconnected the grid input, the inverter works perfectly and also charges from solar, and if I turn off the inverter I can connect the grid input and charge it from AC when needed, but I can no longer have it connected to the grid and have the inverter on at the same time. So strange. I also found that the AC input terminals have 120 volts from line to ground - but only when the inverter is on. I connected an LED smart bulb connected to the AC input terminals to see if there was any actual power behind the voltage, and it was enough to light up the bulb. Argh. I have no idea why it would be fine for months and then suddenly have this issue.

After I replace it with the 6000xp I'll try and work with SS on the 3000 unit, but I did open up the unit to put the N-G bonding screw in place to see if that would make a difference (it didn't). I hope I didn't void the warranty by doing so.

It has been frustrating to say the least to get our hands on inventory...we really do appreciate your patience though! Feel free to call us if you have any issues or need help getting it setup.
Thanks Dexter - no problem. I know you guys are at the mercy of the inventory you can get from EG4. ??

At this point I think the only information I don't have yet is what "customer code" to use when setting up the monitoring account with EG4.

Thanks Dexter - no problem. I know you guys are at the mercy of the inventory you can get from EG4. ??

At this point I think the only information I don't have yet is what "customer code" to use when setting up the monitoring account with EG4.
Since you purchased through us, use "Current Connected".

What happened to @solarenvy ?
Ordered, received, and sitting in the box until I get time to set everything up :/ In the meantime I ordered a 2nd 6000XP to parallel, which is backordered until late Dec. Also had to trench some conduit and get the ground mounts started.

This is all happening at my cabin 2.5hrs away so I have limited time to do actual doing.

If you have 4 of these together will that increase its startup load capacity (large amp draw), meaning running 220v shop equipment, 40 amp 220v welder etc or is that still limited to what just one of these can do?

If you have 4 of these together will that increase its startup load capacity (large amp draw), meaning running 220v shop equipment, 40 amp 220v welder etc or is that still limited to what just one of these can do?
Yes it will increase.

So I can still use grid power as backup and or for battery charging if need be with this inverter as well?

I was going to go with 2 schneider xw pro's but these look pretty attractive especially considering how much less expensive they are. I want reliability (will be for my home, pole barn and work shop) and needs to have enough oomph to handle large startup loads. These are looking pretty attractive right now. Considering 3 of them for a spring solar install (located in Michigan).

I think if you have no problem with sourcing replacements if they die (and if you're buying 3 or 4 of these you have on-site redundancy anyway, of course if things are up on the wall connected to each other they could also all smoke each other at the same time), there's not a huge risk. Also XW Pros will likely take way more wall space.

Back