diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP Released, ordered. Let's Go!

Do you leave the chargeverter on all the time or do you use some kind of notification system that alerts you when to turn it on to start charging the batteries? I would be fine using this method most of the year, but during the late fall and winter months I would need to clear out more trees to provide more sun power!
It's controlled by the dry contacts on one of my AIO's.
The same way a generator would be. (Fully automatic)

Anyone with this unit running Solar Assistant? How does it compare to the online system? Wanted to see how to get data from inverter to Home Assistant, one way is SA, another would be a lux power module someone has written... If you use SA do you lose access to the cloud data?

The ChargeVerter is extremely useful.

I can run my smaller 3.2K 120v inverter generator (open frame) and Set the ChargeVerter between 30-50 amps.
Can you give a brief overview of what the Chargeverter is used for? I haven’t gone down that rabbit hole yet. :)

The adjustable voltage and amperage is very useful for top balancing a new battery.

Accepts a wide range of input voltage/hz.

Can be hooked up to automatically charge (assuming you are comfortable using generator dry contacts and high amperage relays.

Last edited:
Please do! Do you have grid power connected already?
Question - Overloading the 6000xp when grid is connected.

The 6000xp will switch to grid bypass when overloaded.

The 6000xp will switch back to battery when load drops under inverter limit and/or 4 minutes (didn't test with stopwatch)

Question - Overloading the 6000xp when grid is connected.

The 6000xp will switch to grid bypass when overloaded.

The 6000xp will switch back to battery when load drops under inverter limit and/or 4 minutes (didn't test with stopwatch)
Wow, that's a nice feature! Really appreciate you testing it out.

Any possibility SS will send you a 2nd inverter to test in parallel? @Markus_EG4

Anyone with this unit running Solar Assistant? How does it compare to the online system? Wanted to see how to get data from inverter to Home Assistant, one way is SA, another would be a lux power module someone has written... If you use SA do you lose access to the cloud data?
I have one on order from Current Connected. I do plan to use Solar Assistant with it - I'll report back on how it goes.

I may be wrong but it appears that with the LuxPower units like this one and the 18kpv - that you might be able to use both SA and the EG4 monitoring system simultaneously. If so it should be interesting to compare the two as far as features and data...

FOR ALL MODULES, THE CALCULATIONS NEED TO BE PERFORMED OR VERIFIED BY USING A STRING CALCULATOR OR CONSULTING A PROFESSIONAL.

The inverter has two MPPT PV charging circuits. MPPT #1 and #2 will utilize up to 17 amps, which means two strings can be paralleled for any modules having less than 8.5A (Imp) rating.”

That makes it sound like 8.5a for each MPPT.
Do you know how much v
Each, according to the math.

Edit: actually I don't know. It could be either way.
what about the v
Per MPPT
Eachi
Agree with @timselectric . It's per MPPT. Also keep in mind that the voltage max is a hard stop - if you go over it you're at a high risk of damaging your inverter. The amp max, typically, is a soft stop. If you go over it the inverter will simply clip at it's max rating (or below). The manual on this inverter says 17a is nominal and do not exceed 25a. These are both per MPPT. I think you can likely expect clipping above 17a but I would definitely avoid exceeding 25a.

And finally, if you're close to the max on the voltage you need to do the calculations on temperature coefficient. In cold weather your voltage will increase. Run the numbers before you do the installation just to be sure. There's a good calculator -> here and all the information you need should be on the spec sheet of the panels.
so I have 12 50v 11a solar panels. So I can do 6 per series and x 2 mppt and it will bring me to 300v and 11a at each mppt. And is ok with the inverter? Sorry I’m new to this trying to get all 12 panels in one inverter to keep the cost low.

Back