diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP Released, ordered. Let's Go!

Well I got my 2 units installed last night, this morning I double checked everything and then fired them up. They seem to be working flawlessly, I just ran a load of laundry through the washer and had zero issues. My LVX6048'S power really gave my washing machine a problem. I had zero dimming of the lights during the wash cycle with the 6000xp's, no problem with turning the microwave on during the cycle, which is on the same breaker as the washer.

I do get a small flicker when the oven kicks on.

the noise level seems to be pretty low, even when I was running 11kw through them. (Dryer, oven, 2 top burners running, plus miscellaneous small loads)

The manual is nicely written and normally sized, 8.5x11 paper size.

DISLIKES:

The screws to take off the front panels are ridiculously tight and very easy to strip, be very careful.

It seems if you have a DIY LifeP04 battery you can't use the lithium battery setting on the inverter, I had to use the lead acid setting because my bms doesn't have a communication port that's compatible. Not a huge problem.

The mounting hardware is lacking, don't drill the holes too deep for the anchors or the bolt wants to disappear in the wall.

One negative about the manual is the parallel directions, they show you how to hook 4 of them, or 1 of them up and that's it. But if you put the parallel cable for 2 of them on like Will Prowse has in his 12k diagram for these units, it works.

I can't say much about the PV input because it is very cloudy here today, but it is working at low light levels.

The units are considerably bigger than the LVX 6048, so if you are replacing them and your install location is tight, you'll have to plan accordingly.

Overall I am very pleased.

Well I got my 2 units installed last night, this morning I double checked everything and then fired them up. They seem to be working flawlessly, I just ran a load of laundry through the washer and had zero issues. My LVX6048'S power really gave my washing machine a problem. I had zero dimming of the lights during the wash cycle with the 6000xp's, no problem with turning the microwave on during the cycle, which is on the same breaker as the washer.

I do get a small flicker when the oven kicks on.

the noise level seems to be pretty low, even when I was running 11kw through them. (Dryer, oven, 2 top burners running, plus miscellaneous small loads)

The manual is nicely written and normally sized, 8.5x11 paper size.

DISLIKES:

The screws to take off the front panels are ridiculously tight and very easy to strip, be very careful.

It seems if you have a DIY LifeP04 battery you can't use the lithium battery setting on the inverter, I had to use the lead acid setting because my bms doesn't have a communication port that's compatible. Not a huge problem.

The mounting hardware is lacking, don't drill the holes too deep for the anchors or the bolt wants to disappear in the wall.

One negative about the manual is the parallel directions, they show you how to hook 4 of them, or 1 of them up and that's it. But if you put the parallel cable for 2 of them on like Will Prowse has in his 12k diagram for these units, it works.

I can't say much about the PV input because it is very cloudy here today, but it is working at low light levels.

The units are considerably bigger than the LVX 6048, so if you are replacing them and your install location is tight, you'll have to plan accordingly.

Overall I am very pleased.

Is there a BMS that works with diy batteries and the 6000XP? I have a pallet of batteries for diy packs I will be building and have not bought a BMS yet. I have 3 6000XP's ordered I am going to be using the batteries with.

Is there a BMS that works with diy batteries and the 6000XP? I have a pallet of batteries for diy packs I will be building and have not bought a BMS yet. I have 3 6000XP's ordered I am going to be using the batteries with.
Not sure, hopefully someone else can help with that. I have the JBD from overkill solar.

Last edited:
This might be an option

What do you think of this?

I know you can have close loop with External BMS like this one its just getting the right software or protocol selected and figured out. Their are a handful of people here on the forum that i know of who are doing this.

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but can someone explain this option to me? Especially DC source mode.

PV Input Mode: This allows the user to select the PV source for the Inverter. This can be:
0: DC source mode, 3: Two MPPT connects to same string, or 4: Two MPPT connects to
different string.

I've been waiting for this as a "sweet spot" for my cabin build. The 18kpv is sexy but overkill for my needs (though I had my finger on the trigger). Lux has demonstrated their ability to build a high-quality product...hoping this is no exception to that rule.

I will be sure to document my experience.
I have a question, this unit is nice, but do I have to actually use server rack or the 14K battery? or can I buy the 12v 100a lithiums on sale at Amazon to use with it? I understand they wont have the communication and smart features, but I cant afford the crazy high tech stuffs... I just need to expand as I can afford to. Sig Solar sells these guys as refurbs, too, so I can save a little there

I have a question, this unit is nice, but do I have to actually use server rack or the 14K battery? or can I buy the 12v 100a lithiums on sale at Amazon to use with it? I understand they wont have the communication and smart features, but I cant afford the crazy high tech stuffs
You would have to series four of the 12V together to get to the 48V nominal battery this inverter requires. Which then brings up potential issues with balancing between those four (or more) batteries. But can be much cheaper than an off the shelf rack mount battery.

or can I buy the 12v 100a lithiums on sale at Amazon to use with it
4 x 12V batteries in series will work, kind of, with the 6000XP. Two problems.
1) Balance issues as Brucey mentioned.
2) The discharge rate of the 100Ah batteries would exceed 1C if the inverter had a 5,000W or more load on it.

You would have to series four of the 12V together to get to the 48V nominal battery this inverter requires. Which then brings up potential issues with balancing between those four (or more) batteries. But can be much cheaper than an off the shelf rack mount battery.
or, go for broke and get 48v... man. I wish I made more money. saving currently. (currently..lol punny)

4 x 12V batteries in series will work, kind of, with the 6000XP. Two problems.
1) Balance issues as Brucey mentioned.
2) The discharge rate of the 100Ah batteries would exceed 1C if the inverter had a 5,000W or more load on it.
I try like hell to not use anything that uses more than 1500W at any given moment. We are pretty primitive out there. No large appliances. But, I like the idea of having the capacity if I need to.

I thought I'd add my own quick install story to this thread.

I purchased a 6000xp through Current Connected along with one of their 5 unit SOK 48 volt rackmount kits, a pair of chargeverters and the bus bars and additional cables needed to wire everything together.

I've installed all of the above at an off grid cottage in Michigan. Over two visits the inverter has performed just as I'd hoped. It comfortably handles the surge from a 1 HP well pump and runs all my remaining house loads without issues. I see modest transient pulses of my LED lights when turning on high draw items like vacuum cleaners and a microwave but that's about it.

The inverter began communicating with the SOK battery bank right away, without any further configuration needed. (SOK seems to provide the same over the wire RS485 protocol as the EG4 batter line.)

The chargeverters are doing exactly what they are advertised to do. Together I've measured them delivering the full 10 kW of charge current, allowing me to run an existing pad mounted backup generator at a very healthy percentage of its capacity and minimize the amount of time I'm making noise in an otherwise quiet environment.

Current Connected were great communicators, particularly around the challenges associated with delivering freight to a more remote location and were responsive when I had a few concerns during the install.

I'm looking forward to adding panels sometime this spring.

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but can someone explain this option to me? Especially DC source mode.

PV Input Mode: This allows the user to select the PV source for the Inverter. This can be:
0: DC source mode, 3: Two MPPT connects to same string, or 4: Two MPPT connects to
different string.
Did you ever get a reply? I have a single PV string and wondering if it needs to be supplying both MPPTs. I believe doing so would keep the voltage constant but divide the total Amps between PV1 and PV2…

Did you ever get a reply? I have a single PV string and wondering if it needs to be supplying both MPPTs. I believe doing so would keep the voltage constant but divide the total Amps between PV1 and PV2…

The MPPT's can parallel an array at the inputs or have two separate arrays for each MPPT.

Back