diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 randomly shuts down

I'm about to go offline for the day, but I recently saw another post about a "known issue" with EG-4 firmware where a shutdown would happen about every 24 hours while on PV. Sounds like you're not the only one.

Can you let us know what exact firmware you use cuz I'm in the same exact position just waiting on support
I used the latest one on the EG4 website, U1 79.66 is what fixed it I think. U2 61.12 is the same one that I installed last week so that one did not change. I hate windows computers so this has been a pain in the ass. I hope this is the last update or you might see me on YouTube shooting my inverters with a shotgun! I would still like to change to a better inverter but the sol arc is around $8500 so these will have to do until something better comes out.

When I download the latest it shows up as 63.13. That's from the downloads page. You must have a 6500EX as that has the 79.66 version. I have a 6000EX. I guess I am stuck with the issue for now util support is happy with my photos and videos.

When I download the latest it shows up as 63.13. That's from the downloads page. You must have a 6500EX as that has the 79.66 version. I have a 6000EX. I guess I am stuck with the issue for now util support is happy with my photos and videos.
Yes I have the 6500 units. I was thinking about switching to the 6000 model but I guess they have issues too. I have two outback low frequency systems going strong for years so I am now concerned about the light weight high frequency models. I will update if my power goes out again.

I went with the 6000 specifically as they seemed to have fewer issues and by my research would handle my pumps starting better then the high frequency units even though the 6500s had more power and seemed newer....

Has anyone else had their EG4 6500s in split phase shut down only while charging with PV? I am only inputing around 5500 watts using 3 strings. I have the 6 EG4 rack of batteries off grid and 14 times in the last month my system turns off and within 5 or 10 seconds turns back on. I recently updated firmware to resolve the flickering lights which did not help but the inverters still turn off every day or two, my electronics are likely not happy about that. Any recommendations of other inverters that communicate with the EG4 batteries? I have had no help resolving my bad inverters so I think its time to jump ship and find a product that works. These are replacement inverters, my first two did not have these issues but were before the bad batch was shipped so I think I have more bad inverters.
Mine are doing the exact same thing. Power randomly shuts down for a few seconds, then turns back on. No errors. This is also after receiving a replacement unit. I also upgraded firmware to the latest. Still happening. I switched from SUB to SBU to see if that changes anything. We will see today.

Do you know what your SOC and load is at around the time of the outage?

Do you have option 23 enabled?

I had started noticing on the latest firmware that my system was “overloading” and falling back to grid at certain times when it never happened on past firmware.

Do you know what your SOC and load is at around the time of the outage?

Do you have option 23 enabled?

I had started noticing on the latest firmware that my system was “overloading” and falling back to grid at certain times when it never happened on past firmware.
Option 23 is DISABLED. It is interesting. I Switched to SBU and have not had the issue occur. Of course the battery state is low whereas when it was SUB the battery power was always 99-100%.

Option 23 is DISABLED. It is interesting. I Switched to SBU and have not had the issue occur. Of course the battery state is low whereas when it was SUB the battery power was always 99-100%.
Have you been able to determine a pattern of when the shutdowns happen?

Mine are doing the exact same thing. Power randomly shuts down for a few seconds, then turns back on. No errors. This is also after receiving a replacement unit. I also upgraded firmware to the latest. Still happening. I switched from SUB to SBU to see if that changes anything. We will see today.
I had the same issue. I switched to USE/USE mode from EG4/USE. No shutdowns in a week (was multiple times a day)
I had BMS test connected to my system all the time, I'm wondering if that was the real problem but I'm afraid to touch anything since it has been working with no issues now. The manual says "You cannot use BMS test and a closed loop inverter at the same time", well you can but shutdowns may be the result.

Back