diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 and refrigerator breaker issue

I have a dedicated 20 amp breaker with 12 AWG wire. I have one of these new arc fault breakers… I’m wondering (hoping) that is my issue and a simple swap out will
Do the trick.
You have to know what the loads for anything you you want to place on a circuit, (reason is more devices more amperage. I know you see the fridge go off/trip breaker, you need to see what load in amps is on this,( clamp mutimeter can be purchased today at any big box store)

You have to know what the loads for anything you you want to place on a circuit, (reason is more devices more amperage. I know you see the fridge go off/trip breaker, you need to see what load in amps is on this,( clamp mutimeter can be purchased today at any big box store)
Make sure it has AC and DC input, think Klien can be had for under $60.

I have a dedicated 20 amp breaker with 12 AWG wire. I have one of these new arc fault breakers… I’m wondering (hoping) that is my issue and a simple swap out will
Do the trick.
Rather than try to explain myself, here's a good summary of LRA, RLA and a couple other abbreviations from Emerson. I think you're on the right track to switch that AFCI breaker out for a standard breaker to test it. If it were me, I'd switch it out anyway and leave it that way, but don't take that as an official recommendation. That's just me. ?

• Maximum Operating Current (MOC) - Current which serves as a reference in determining the performance of the relay contacts. Used by European Customers. MOC is measured at the top right hand corner of the operating envelope to show the amperage at the highest discharge and suction pressures.
  • Rated Load Amps (RLA) - Reference current used in contactor and wire selection for US Customers. RLA is calculated from the Maximum Continuous Current (MCC) and serves as a running current value for the compressor. UL uses an RLA value 64% of the MCC (MCC 156% of RLA rating) while Emerson Copeland uses a more conservative RLA value which is 71% of the MCC (MCC 140% of RLA rating) for contactor selection.
  • Maximum Continuous Current (MCC) - Current measured just prior to protector trip.
  • Locked Rotor Amps (LRA) - Current drawn by the compressor if the rotor is locked and can't move while electric power is applied.

Rather than try to explain myself, here's a good summary of LRA, RLA and a couple other abbreviations from Emerson. I think you're on the right track to switch that AFCI breaker out for a standard breaker to test it. If it were me, I'd switch it out anyway and leave it that way, but don't take that as an official recommendation. That's just me. ?

• Maximum Operating Current (MOC) - Current which serves as a reference in determining the performance of the relay contacts. Used by European Customers. MOC is measured at the top right hand corner of the operating envelope to show the amperage at the highest discharge and suction pressures.
  • Rated Load Amps (RLA) - Reference current used in contactor and wire selection for US Customers. RLA is calculated from the Maximum Continuous Current (MCC) and serves as a running current value for the compressor. UL uses an RLA value 64% of the MCC (MCC 156% of RLA rating) while Emerson Copeland uses a more conservative RLA value which is 71% of the MCC (MCC 140% of RLA rating) for contactor selection.
  • Maximum Continuous Current (MCC) - Current measured just prior to protector trip.
  • Locked Rotor Amps (LRA) - Current drawn by the compressor if the rotor is locked and can't move while electric power is applied.
Thank you sir! Appreciate this great explanation. I’ll keep you all
Posted! Love this forum.

Not applicable here as I believe all the above on breaker is the issue. But a note along the lines of LRA. As motors age sometimes you will get a damaged bearing/sleeve/shaft. On start up the friction will hold the motor in place longer than when it was new and the LRA duration can trip a breaker before the motor can start spinning.

Can't say I've seen it in a fridge. But I have seen a 50hp 480V electric motor have a bearing fail. The resulting LRA surge caused the pole transformer to pop before the building's breakers would trip. This made everyone else in the industrial park super happy.

Update- wanted everyone to know I replaced the arc fault breaker with another new arc fault breaker and my problem has resolved. 5 days now since the replacement and issues. I guess that shows those breakers are finicky and can be bad out of the box. IF my problem returns I will be swapping it out for a standard breaker. Thanks again for all the input.

Back