diy solar

diy solar

EG4-6500 switch from battery to utility

I think the SA power management feature made the change for him.

I’m actually running a test right now to see what happens if you have the SA power management feature enabled and you have options 12/13 set to values that could trigger the inverter to change modes before SA “wants the change done”.
Spoiler alert.
It will switch according to whichever setting tells it to, first.
SA just acts as a remote control. The inverter sees it the same as if you manually changed something from the inverter screen.

Spoiler alert.
It will switch according to whichever setting tells it to, first.
SA just acts as a remote control. The inverter sees it the same as if you manually changed something from the inverter screen.
Yes and no. I need to try and repeat the test but it looks like if the inverter tells it to switch, SA might switch it back. The voltage drops because charging stops during the switch, which could then cause the voltage to be under the value set for option 13. Then the cycle begins again.

Very annoying till you figure out that’s actually happening. Just need to try and repeat it.

I have SBU priority, not SUB.
Do you ever see Grid Ac in being used even when plentiful Solar is available? Today I had 2.5 KW coming in to each inverter and battery was around 54 volts and inverters were still accepting voltage from grid Ac in. I turned of grid AC in and PV input jumped up on each inverter to 3.5 KW. I hate to be wasting PV during the day.

Yes and no. I need to try and repeat the test but it looks like if the inverter tells it to switch, SA might switch it back. The voltage drops because charging stops during the switch, which could then cause the voltage to be under the value set for option 13. Then the cycle begins again.

Very annoying till you figure out that’s actually happening. Just need to try and repeat it.
Are you saying if you are using SA for those settings then you change it manually on the inverter that SA changes the settings back? I'll be interested in your test results.

That can happen if the low and high settings are too close. No matter which device is controlling the switch.

Are you saying if you are using SA for those settings then you change it manually on the inverter that SA changes the settings back? I'll be interested in your test results.
I’m not sure about the manual switch, guess I can add that to my test.

Note if you hit Setting 12 the inverters will NOT revert to battery again until Setting 13 is hit regardless of what you tell it to do. It remembers Setting 12 was hit and will charge batteries with either solar or AC until the Setting 13 value is hit even if you change modes.

I'm unsure if SA can alter this as I am not using it.

Note if you hit Setting 12 the inverters will NOT revert to battery again until Setting 13 is hit regardless of what you tell it to do. It remembers Setting 12 was hit and will charge batteries with either solar or AC until the Setting 13 value is hit even if you change modes.

I'm unsure if SA can alter this as I am not using it.
You can change setting 13 to a value lower than the battery SOC voltage and the inverter will switch to battery mode. You can use this same method to go back to grid by changing setting 12 to a value higher than the battery SOC voltage; although it may be difficult to achieve this unless you run your batteries below the high limit of 51V for setting 12. You can also just switch to SUB to force inverter to grid.

To be clear I am OK with this functionality. I think the behavior of the mode should be more clearly explained in the manual or in a FAQ. You just need to understand how it works or at some point you'll get very confused why it's doing what its doing.

It took 3 months for me to hit a strange situation and I only found it because I was playing with settings trying to test something else while Setting 12 was active.

Do you ever see Grid Ac in being used even when plentiful Solar is available? Today I had 2.5 KW coming in to each inverter and battery was around 54 volts and inverters were still accepting voltage from grid Ac in. I turned of grid AC in and PV input jumped up on each inverter to 3.5 KW. I hate to be wasting PV during the day.
If the battery declined to the point of your 'to grid' setting and then the sun came up it's in that cycle and stuck there until it reaches your 'back to battery' setting. so yes, it is possible that you would have lots of solar but still be on grid because you're back to battery voltage is set too high.
RTFM

If the battery declined to the point of your 'to grid' setting and then the sun came up it's in that cycle and stuck there until it reaches your 'back to battery' setting. so yes, it is possible that you would have lots of solar but still be on grid because you're back to battery voltage is set too high.
RTFM
I would understand that but this was well after early morning sun.....as soon as I cut off the AC in to the inverters it never linked backup after I turned the breakers back on. I hate to waste solar.

I would understand that but this was well after early morning sun.....as soon as I cut off the AC in to the inverters it never linked backup after I turned the breakers back on. I hate to waste solar.
Open the manual for your inverter charger. Go to the place where the settings are for to grid voltage and back to battery voltage.
Set back to battery voltage to a lower number!
The way you're doing it is interrupting a process. Sort of like powering off and back on your PC when it's in the middle of a boot.
Get the settings correct and it will operate the way you want it to.
Oi vey

Open the manual for your inverter charger. Go to the place where the settings are for to grid voltage and back to battery voltage.
Set back to battery voltage to a lower number!
The way you're doing it is interrupting a process. Sort of like powering off and back on your PC when it's in the middle of a boot.
Get the settings correct and it will operate the way you want it to.
Oi vey
Well now that's nice....I just checked the settings.....guess what, the inverters had reset themselves to 110 volt instead of 120, don't know why, they just did. I never touch this setting. Maybe it's when they decide to switch between host and slave at random times like they do. I then lowered the voltage return to inverter power and even though the battery was above this and was not using grid power at the time, everything shut down for a second or two.....shit, freeze drier now has to re-do a load.

Well now that's nice....I just checked the settings.....guess what, the inverters had reset themselves to 110 volt instead of 120, don't know why, they just did. I never touch this setting. Maybe it's when they decide to switch between host and slave at random times like they do. I then lowered the voltage return to inverter power and even though the battery was above this and was not using grid power at the time, everything shut down for a second or two.....shit, freeze drier now has to re-do a load.
I've been hesitant to put our freeze dryer on solar so far. It has to run such long cycles for some stuff and, as you obviously know, it's a pain to have to restart a load. It's more seasonal use for us but when it's that time, man, that thing is an energy hog. How long have you been running yours on solar?

I've been hesitant to put our freeze dryer on solar so far. It has to run such long cycles for some stuff and, as you obviously know, it's a pain to have to restart a load. It's more seasonal use for us but when it's that time, man, that thing is an energy hog. How long have you been running yours on solar?
Just started yesterday. It was on it's own circuit from the grid, but I was not utilizing all my panels and felt like I was wasting them. Heck, I was running a load ( couple of towels and pair of pants) of clothes in the washer just so I could run the dryer....gotta use electricity to make electricity.....So like you said, it being a real energy hog, I started it on the solar. Now my only load not on solar is my heat pump. Might try getting a soft start or even a sperate mini-split to run off the solar.

Just started yesterday. It was on it's own circuit from the grid, but I was not utilizing all my panels and felt like I was wasting them. Heck, I was running a load ( couple of towels and pair of pants) of clothes in the washer just so I could run the dryer....gotta use electricity to make electricity.....So like you said, it being a real energy hog, I started it on the solar. Now my only load not on solar is my heat pump. Might try getting a soft start or even a sperate mini-split to run off the solar.
I'd like to put at least one heat pump on solar but I'm dealing with existing wiring and figuring it out. I got a quote a few days ago on replacing all three units, a 3 ton and two 2 ton, mostly because they're 11 years old and I wouldn't mind something more efficient. But at $60k to replace 3 units I'm thinking I can keep these running a few more years. Gonna get more quotes but that seems nuts to me. That was for 18 seer Goodman, which isn't exactly top of the line. Ugh.

The tech in the current mini splits is pretty amazing. I don't want to go that route for the house but I'm going to keep it in mind for anywhere it would make sense.

Back