diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX F08 Error

American-Thunder

Hey Everyone,

I have 2 EG4-6500ex I use to power my off grid shop. Strictly solar charging into 10 EG4 48V Batts and there is no AC input. Since last June I have had no problems after switching to the User battery type since I had the 61 code for loss of communication. Yesterday i got in the shop and power was out. The 2P2 inverter was showing a fault code of F08. I turned everything off and it restarted as normal but after about 30-45 mins I got the same error and this repeated itself over and over throughout the day. I should add that after the second time I updated the firmware on both units to the latest but still had the same issue. I looked at the other two threads on here regarding this fault code but it doesnt appear they were solved.

I attempted to contact signature solar but those guys seem overwhelmed. I also sent an email to the tech line and still have no response which is why I am here. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what was dont to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

DC bus voltage in the inverter too high, seems to have been a problem with Voltronic inverters for the past 10 years.
Board or full inverter replacement required or maybe this thread has a different fix....I only looked at the first and last page - https://powerforum.co.za/topic/4721-axpert-mks-ii-5kw-error-08/
Looked a little more and it could be leakage in the panels when wet. If your error is consistent, try disconnecting the panels.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your assistance.

@Quattrohead Yesterday it seemed to be when the batteries were almost full that it would error out. Interesting thought though because yesterday It was pouring rain here in southern az which is unusual but we have had alot of rain this past year and never a problem. Never heard of or thought of leakage when a panel was wet.

Bens going to have tech support contact me I will report back what we find.

No, but I just set these up and bus voltage seems high. But I can’t find any docs on what exactly is bus voltage.

No, but I just set these up and bus voltage seems high. But I can’t find any docs on what exactly is bus voltage.
"Bus Voltage" is just referring to any bus in the inverter circuit whether it be a breaker panel ground bar or a battery rack bus bar. I assume that the 450v is coming from your PV array? If so, this is completely fine, and honestly a perfect PV voltage.

Last edited:
"Bus Voltage" is just referring to any bus in the same circuit as the inverter whether it be a breaker panel ground bar or a battery rack bus bar. I assume that the 450v is coming from your PV array? If so, this is completely fine, and honestly a perfect PV voltage.
Clueless LOL

I'm going to DM you a short Troubleshooting guide for that Fault code.
Could I please get a Troubleshooting guide for Fault Code 08 on my Growatt SPF 5000 ES? I receive this code when charging my battery from the grid. My solar panels are not installed yet. Voltages in Settings 19 and 21 are set per the recommendations in the manual.

Could I please get a Troubleshooting guide for Fault Code 08 on my Growatt SPF 5000 ES? I receive this code when charging my battery from the grid. My solar panels are not installed yet. Voltages in Settings 19 and 21 are set per the recommendations in the manual.
Error 08 is a lot easier on Growatt units. I'll send it over tomorrow.

Error 08 is encountered when BUS voltage is too high. Error 08 has several different things that cause this error code to appear. There are 3 different BUSes on these units, and each one could be the cause of the problem. You will want to start off by isolating the inputs of the inverter. Battery power is usually the best place to start here, as battery power is necessary for each of our inverters. Power on the inverter with JUST battery power connected, and see if the inverter throws the error 08. If it does, then you will want to check the BUS bar that your batteries are connected to. If your battery capacity exceeds the amp rating of the BUS bar, then this is likely what is causing your Error 08. If you’ve powered it on with battery, and the error did not appear, you will want to try powering it on with grid power and battery. The two main causes of the error 08 are BUS bars and grid power. If you start the inverter with grid power and battery and the inverter throws the error 08, then there are a few steps that you will want to take.
  • Check to see if the AC input voltage is within 5v of the AC output.
If the AC input and AC output have more than a 5v difference, this can cause an Error 08.
  • Determine if the AC input and AC output are in the same sub panel.
If the input and output are looped (landing in the same subpanel) this can cause and Error 08. If the error 08 does not occur when you power on the inverter with battery and grid power, try adding PV to the mix. If the error 08 occurs once you add PV, you will want to see if the PV is landing in a subpanel with the AC input or output. If DC voltage is encountering AC voltage in a panel, then you can get an error 08.

@BenFromSignatureSolar Could uneven lengths of battery cables cause error 08? My + and - battery cables were previously inconsistent lengths, and I noticed the load numbers on the inverter did not make sense, as well as getting Error 08 when charging the battery from grid power.

I cannot say for certain making the + and - battery cables as close to the same length as possible fixed everything, but I can say that after I made the battery cable length equal, my load numbers have been accurate, and I've received no more Error 08.

No solar panels are connected to my system yet.

@BenFromSignatureSolar Could uneven lengths of battery cables cause error 08? My + and - battery cables were previously inconsistent lengths, and I noticed the load numbers on the inverter did not make sense, as well as getting Error 08 when charging the battery from grid power.

I cannot say for certain making the + and - battery cables as close to the same length as possible fixed everything, but I can say that after I made the battery cable length equal, my load numbers have been accurate, and I've received no more Error 08.

No solar panels are connected to my system yet.
Uneven DC cables are never ideal. Over a significant run especially. I don't know for sure that it would cause an 08, but if correcting that fixed the problem, I'm certainly glad to hear it!

I'm going to DM you a short Troubleshooting guide for that Fault code.
Hi Ben can you please send me a copy of the trouble shooting for F08, I'm having the same issue on two 11kW Max II. I've contacted the manufacturer but they've not been much help. At first the SL unit had F08 after functioning fine for several hours, then both ended up with F08. I've rewired them out of parallel and connected up but still F08 persists. I have one spare inverter I will install to see if it also gets the same error.
IMG_20230330_195417.jpg

Error 08 is encountered when BUS voltage is too high. Error 08 has several different things that cause this error code to appear. There are 3 different BUSes on these units, and each one could be the cause of the problem. You will want to start off by isolating the inputs of the inverter. Battery power is usually the best place to start here, as battery power is necessary for each of our inverters. Power on the inverter with JUST battery power connected, and see if the inverter throws the error 08. If it does, then you will want to check the BUS bar that your batteries are connected to. If your battery capacity exceeds the amp rating of the BUS bar, then this is likely what is causing your Error 08. If you’ve powered it on with battery, and the error did not appear, you will want to try powering it on with grid power and battery. The two main causes of the error 08 are BUS bars and grid power. If you start the inverter with grid power and battery and the inverter throws the error 08, then there are a few steps that you will want to take.
  • Check to see if the AC input voltage is within 5v of the AC output.
If the AC input and AC output have more than a 5v difference, this can cause an Error 08.
  • Determine if the AC input and AC output are in the same sub panel.
If the input and output are looped (landing in the same subpanel) this can cause and Error 08. If the error 08 does not occur when you power on the inverter with battery and grid power, try adding PV to the mix. If the error 08 occurs once you add PV, you will want to see if the PV is landing in a subpanel with the AC input or output. If DC voltage is encountering AC voltage in a panel, then you can get an error 08.
My AC input is 250v upto 252v at times and the max AC output I can set the inverter to is 240v. I'm guessing it's causing the problem.

Back