diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX Off grid system - Is this DIAGRAM correct? You asked...

Unlike you old folks (I am only a mere 63) every time I try to use the, "I am old and beat", excuse to get out of doing something somebody points out a 90 year old sky diving, mountain climbing, works full time, married to a 25 year old Super model fellow and says "what's your problem? If he can do it so can you."
Thanks, Mattb4, I just rolled up my sleeves!

Analytics on my videos have shown solar interest is predominately male. And the highest viewer rates are usually from 55 and older. Which is interesting really.
I have to think that the age demographic is at least partly driven by financial reasons. It's hard to pursue something like solar when you have a mortgage and kids. I can't help you on the gender part. It kinda is what it is.

Good time for me to see this thread. I’m doing the same with a 3p TS. I put this CL panel in and was going to move the right circuits down and put in an interlock for inverter. Then thought about the neutral carrying imbalanced loads and always connected. Been there, done that. Going to do this right so even my 11 year old can take CL to grid and I can work on inverter without risk. [yes, G/N separated in panel]
View attachment 139156View attachment 139157
Another well written explanation, primarily addressing the safety factor. Thanks, ChrisG. Yes, ouch, the xfer switch is darn expensive, but much less than funeral expenses. I'm thinking we have a consensus here that we are much too young to die......

I have to think that the age demographic is at least partly driven by financial reasons. It's hard to pursue something like solar when you have a mortgage and kids. I can't help you on the gender part. It kinda is what it is.
Yep, exactly, good point. My son was very fortunate to be able to buy his components; He is 38 and has 4 little ones running around and he works from home. That's why I'll be helping him to wire his components after I learn from my screw-ups first. ?

Threw the transfer switch this morning, turned on PV and system is working perfect. Only light flicker I have is when the refrigerator kicked in while I was in the office surfing here. My UPS in the office has not switched either. No dimming or flicker when well pump kicked in or either freezer. Refrigerator is 2 years old, inverter style and draws only about 1 Kwh per day.

I do have both bonding screws in, no AC input at this point. Plan on running some tests and see results first. PV has already charged batteries even with hardly any sun and ice on the array. PV voltage has been in the 360V loaded to 390V range idling. That is from 420 feet one way distance.

Threw the transfer switch this morning, turned on PV and system is working perfect. Only light flicker I have is when the refrigerator kicked in while I was in the office surfing here. My UPS in the office has not switched either. No dimming or flicker when well pump kicked in or either freezer. Refrigerator is 2 years old, inverter style and draws only about 1 Kwh per day.

I do have both bonding screws in, no AC input at this point. Plan on running some tests and see results first. PV has already charged batteries even with hardly any sun and ice on the array. PV voltage has been in the 360V loaded to 390V range idling. That is from 420 feet one way distance.
That's one of the negatives about the MPP version. 250v max on the PV input. I made it work without a lot of trouble but the 500v cap is much better. I'm a hair over 100'. If I had to do 420' with 250v I'd have spent way more on wire, and my wire budget already looks like a mini version of the national debt. Ugh.

I have a pair of LV6548's I purchased first, then decided to move my array farther away. Would have been $2600 for the wire, I bought the 2 EG4 6500's instead.

I spoke too soon on the light flicker, I swapped 2 breakers to different phases, the wife turned on kitchen light and tv in the kitchen and led's in basement started the strobe. Moved those breakers back, strobe doesn't come back. I did see the bathroom fan is on one circuit and was off during that time but it does create a slight flicker but not all the time.

I might have to install the LV6548's and install some SCC's to handle the high PV voltage. Just kidding so far, we shall see what I can find. Finding things is a problem, I can't find my amps clamp.

Back