diy solar

diy solar

EG4-LL 48v 100ah V1 vs V2 Help

medic149

Cabin In The Woods
Need some wisdom here. I've been getting conflicting information from Signature Solar.

I have 2 of the EG4-LL 48v 100ah batteries v1 and considering adding a third one but can't find V1 batteries. Been told I have to upgrade my firmware in the 2 I have in order to add a V2 battery. Then another sales rep told me I don't need to update the firmware and that the 2 versions of the battery will work fine with each other as-is.

I haven't been able to find an updated firmware for my V1 battery, but just may not be looking in the right place.

I would like to add a 3rd battery, but I don't want to start having problems with a system (LV6548) that is running flawlessly. and monitoring perfectly with Solar Assistant.

Is anyone else using V1 and V2 batteries together?

Last edited:
There is a communication update for the LL batteries if you are running closed loop communications , That may be what they were referring to as I just looked last week for new or updated LL firmware and there is none as of last Friday. I would update the communication firmware to be the same in all 3.

I spoke with Signature Solar tech support today. They said no issue adding V2 to V1 batteries. Just need to have V1 as the master................but............their website says:

• Have existing V1 EG4-LL Batteries? Enable expanded communication for existing V1 EG4-LL Battery Banks by using a new V2 EG4-LL Battery as your master battery. This feature will be available with a firmware upgrade.
I keep getting different answers every time I contact them.

I sent EG4 an email and no response.

Does anyone have any further thoughts??

I spoke with Signature Solar tech support today. They said no issue adding V2 to V1 batteries. Just need to have V1 as the master................but............their website says:

• Have existing V1 EG4-LL Batteries? Enable expanded communication for existing V1 EG4-LL Battery Banks by using a new V2 EG4-LL Battery as your master battery. This feature will be available with a firmware upgrade.
I keep getting different answers every time I contact them.

I sent EG4 an email and no response.

Does anyone have any further thoughts??
Hello Medic149, The LL v1, and v2s will close-loop communicate. Depending on when the V2 was purchased you may have to use the "Multipack" firmware for the V2 in this file https://eg4electronics.com/backend/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/EG4-LL-V2-51.2V-100ah-Firmware.zip to achieve this. The V2 battery will have to be set to the master ID. If you run into any issues DM me and I will be happy to help.

Hello Medic149, The LL v1, and v2s will close-loop communicate. Depending on when the V2 was purchased you may have to use the "Multipack" firmware for the V2 in this file https://eg4electronics.com/backend/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/EG4-LL-V2-51.2V-100ah-Firmware.zip to achieve this. The V2 battery will have to be set to the master ID. If you run into any issues DM me and I will be happy to help.
Is this firmware valid for the 24V EG4-LL V2/V1or only the 48V? If this isn't the correct one for the 24V batteries could you message me a link to the correct ones? How does one tell what version of firmware is on the battery...is it the VERSION listed in BMSTools I see nothing that refers to firmware version perse in BMSTools.

I purchased to 24V V1s last month and a V2 this month. When I purchased the V1s I was told they would close loop communicate with my Schneider system so I also bought the Insight Home. After it shipped, the V1s, I was told that NONE of the EG4s can close loop communicate with my Schneider Conext SW 4024 inverter nor the XW MPPT Charge controller but it would be nice to at least few all 3 batteries via 1 cable. in BMSTools. At the moment I connect to 2 batteries and view them individually on different ports but I need to order another communications cable to view the 3rd.r

Also, can you tell me if the BMS of each battery will limit overcharging from the MPPT charge controller? I charged the batteries all day today and they did all three reach 100% SOC but they all continued to charge so I wanted to make sure that the BMS of each battery would shutoff before they get overcharged?
Thank You for any assistance.

Last edited:
I have 3- V2's on top in my cabinet Top V2 as the master. Then 3-V1's under that filling my cabinet.. My V-1's were some of the last batch sold. There is a firmware update as I seen a video from James on this (you tube). My V2's I bought were when the V1's were all sold. I have not done any updates and all of them are communicating with the KPV. I will add there is updates needed to use the life power's to work with the 18kpv but you don't half to do this if your using the life power HUB with it. As it stands I have 3- V2's / 3- V1's and 3 life power's in a closed loop and communicating fine with no updates but all your dip switches have to be right. If I can do it, any one can, Lol .

Last edited:
Is this firmware valid for the 24V EG4-LL V2/V1or only the 48V? If this isn't the correct one for the 24V batteries could you message me a link to the correct ones? How does one tell what version of firmware is on the battery...is it the VERSION listed in BMSTools I see nothing that refers to firmware version perse in BMSTools.

I purchased to 24V V1s last month and a V2 this month. When I purchased the V1s I was told they would close loop communicate with my Schneider system so I also bought the Insight Home. After it shipped, the V1s, I was told that NONE of the EG4s can close loop communicate with my Schneider Conext SW 4024 inverter nor the XW MPPT Charge controller but it would be nice to at least few all 3 batteries via 1 cable. in BMSTools. At the moment I connect to 2 batteries and view them individually on different ports but I need to order another communications cable to view the 3rd.r

Also, can you tell me if the BMS of each battery will limit overcharging from the MPPT charge controller? I charged the batteries all day today and they did all three reach 100% SOC but they all continued to charge so I wanted to make sure that the BMS of each battery would shutoff before they get overcharged?
Thank You for any assistance.
Hello Hermitress, There is no firmware other than the stock firmware for the 24v V1/V2 batteries. To view the firmware of the battery please use this BMS tools version https://eg4electronics.com/backend/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Bms-Tools-V1.0.zip . The BMS will go into a protection state if the cells reach their cell voltage protection state.

Attachments

• Firmware version.jpg
    Firmware version.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Hello Hermitress, There is no firmware other than the stock firmware for the 24v V1/V2 batteries. To view the firmware of the battery please use this BMS tools version https://eg4electronics.com/backend/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Bms-Tools-V1.0.zip . The BMS will go into a protection state if the cells reach their cell voltage protection state.
I do have 1 of my V1 batteries that when fully charged I notice 1 cell at a higher voltage than the rest. Its all ways the same one. Is this a problem of concern? Was going to contact SS about this to ask but haven't. It shows protected mode on the screen at those times. Is there a remedy I can do to fix this? do I need a replacement cell?

I do have 1 of my V1 batteries that when fully charged I notice 1 cell at a higher voltage than the rest. Its all ways the same one. Is this a problem of concern? Was going to contact SS about this to ask but haven't. It shows protected mode on the screen at those times. Is there a remedy I can do to fix this? do I need a replacement cell?
Hello Farm boy, can you DM me a screen shot of your BMS tools showing the cells when this is happening?

Hello Farm boy, can you DM me a screen shot of your BMS tools showing the cells when this is happening?
I will, next time I receive a full charge. It's been cloudy here lately, so it may be a few days but yes I will get back to you on this thanks.

Back