diy solar

diy solar

EG4-LL V2 does not fit in EG4 server rack 6-space (orange version) - handles touching busbars!!!

fmeili1

Solar Enthusiast
Hi,
I've ordered 9 EG4-LL V2 and 2 EG4 6-space server racks by end of November 2022. After delivery, I've noticed that both server racks are different models. One has a yellow EG4 logo and busbars covered with cable channels, the other has an orange EG4 logo and no cable channels and they differ also in some other details. I've contacted the SS support by phone and they've told me, because one rack with 6 batteries was a special deal and the other batteries and the other rack was "standard" order. My first impression was - not nice, but I can live with it. Due to time problems, I only got around to installing the batteries last weekend. The yellow rack version worked great for the EG4-LL V2 batteries, everything fits. BUT the orange version has a huge problem with the EG4-LL V2 batteries. The distance between the front of the batteries and the busbars is so narrow, that the foldable battery handles touch the busbars and/or busbar screws (and yes, the batteries are completely inserted)!!! If, by mistake both handles would touch both busbars it would be really dangerous - this would shorten all six batteries in the rack! I could have accepted the also not matching mounting holes for the screws to fix the batteries at the rack, but the potential short circuit is unacceptable!
It looks like the orange version of the rack is NOT usable at all with the new V2 version of the EG4-LL batteries! I've contacted SS via customer support web form and asked for a replacement of the rack (swap from the orange to the yellow version) on Monday and looking forward to get an answer from them.

Have someone else noticed this problem?

Frank20230128_105011.jpg20230128_105005.jpg20230128_105025.jpg

btw,
Umm, fold handles in?
Too dangerous, because they can, by mistake, fold back and touch the busbars from behind. The only way would be to remove the handles. I don't want to do this for handling reasons - this batteries are heavy! Also I know, SS have racks which fit this battery version (the yellow one). Here you can see both of the racks, side by side.20230130_195819.jpg

Wow! That's lots of money spent at Signature Solar. Lots out output.

600 watts of idle energy use on those inverters will burn through roughy 3 of your 5 kWh batteries every day.

I don't disagree with you, there possibly dangerous situation and Signature Solar shouldn't have shipped those batteries and racks in combination. I wasn't sure you realized the handles could be folded in. Also, installing the battery cables (battery end specifically) may prevent the handles from opening far enough to contact the bus bar.

Also, who would ship a customer two so obviously branded and labeled products that don't match?
Were the two racks in the same order?

Yes, the idle power concerns me a bit but I think it will work to be able to never really need to use my AC-in (just for backup, but I live in the Mohave desert and it should not happen often with 18.5kWp PV power).
And yes, it was one order and I also don't understand why they are shipping out two different racks. They tried to explain, that one rack belongs to a special discount and a part of the order was a complete package with rack and 6 batteries. But anyway this should not happen. But the important thing is, they should never ship the orange rack version with an order where EG-LL V2 are also ordered. These orange racks may fit the other EG4LL V1 or EG4 Lifepower, but I don't know.

Wow! That's lots of money spent at Signature Solar. Lots out output.

600 watts of idle energy use on those inverters will burn through roughy 3 of your 5 kWh batteries every day.

I don't disagree with you, there possibly dangerous situation and Signature Solar shouldn't have shipped those batteries and racks in combination. I wasn't sure you realized the handles could be folded in. Also, installing the battery cables (battery end specifically) may prevent the handles from opening far enough to contact the bus bar.

Also, who would ship a customer two so obviously branded and labeled products that don't match?
Were the two racks in the same order?
I hope it's more like 480 watts idle consumption which should only burn one of my 5kWh batteries...

Hello,

We are supposed to only send the same rack version with any one order; this will be reviewed and we can support exchange or full credit on the cabinet. However, the new rack is compatible with the V2, here is the info:

Per the manual the battery rack: handles are to be laid flat and the cables installed above them.

Any work on the cabinet performed in the future should occur with all batteries de-energized; the handles are only for the purpose of easing removal/installation in a maintenance or upgrade situation.

We did see this issue at the time of the new batch arriving but in review, it is clear that placing hands inside a live cabinet is not a supported practice that we ever recommend. to recap, the proper sequence is:
1: install with handles down after securing in the slot,
2: connect wires to buss bars,
3: power off all packs before working with any hardware inside.

Hello,

We are supposed to only send the same rack version with any one order; this will be reviewed and we can support exchange or full credit on the cabinet. However, the new rack is compatible with the V2, here is the info:

Per the manual the battery rack: handles are to be laid flat and the cables installed above them.

Any work on the cabinet performed in the future should occur with all batteries de-energized; the handles are only for the purpose of easing removal/installation in a maintenance or upgrade situation.

We did see this issue at the time of the new batch arriving but in review, it is clear that placing hands inside a live cabinet is not a supported practice that we ever recommend. to recap, the proper sequence is:
1: install with handles down after securing in the slot,
2: connect wires to buss bars,
3: power off all packs before working with any hardware inside.
Hello James,
thanks for your fast answer and clarification. I'm aware about the security guidelines about working on the rack and I would never work on the inside of the rack or the batteries without switching them off before.

I've already tried to slide in the batteries with the handles laying flat, but this doesn't work in my case. When the handles are laid flat, there is not enough space between the handles and the busbars to slide the batteries in, they fold back because they hit the busbars (see pictures). It may work if I would remove the busbars prior to insert the batteries. But this would make maintenance really bad.

So I really would prefer to get a replacement for my orange rack version with the yellow version to solve this problem. Also it would look better if both racks are the same. Also I like the fact, that the busbars in the yellow version are covered in a PVC covered open slot cable channel. As you've also written, you usually send the same rack version with the same order, which has not happened in my case.

One last question. In your online shop, I only see the orange version and the yellow version is not longer listed. Does this mean the yellow version is the "old" model and is completely removed with the orange (new?) model. Or are both models still available, even if not listed anymore in your shop?

Should I wait for a response to my already sent customer form or should I contact you directly about the replacement?

Thanks again and have a nice day.
Frank

What the heck are some of you guys running in your houses that need 39kW? ? Dear Lord that would need a lot of panels....

To run a 200A service panel at full bore I guess? ?‍♂️
The plan is to drive the whole house permanent from the inverters. We don't have natural/propane gas connection/tank. Everything is running by electricity. Living in the Mohave desert and getting real hot in the summer with many weeks over 110 Fahrenheit and many days over 120 Fahrenheit, so the heat pump sometimes does not went off over a whole day. I don't want to manage which loads I would be able to run in parallel (oven, water heater, HVAC, dryer, etc.). Also I would like it to use my tools in the garage even while my wife is cooking ;)
Also I need to install 2 mini splits in the garage to cool the inverters and batteries to an acceptable temperature.
And maybe in future an EV may be shown up in my garage with a wall box... who knows...

Yes, the house has a 200A service panel. Btw. I'm using 40 PV panels with 460Wp each.

Ah, well keep that AC cranked ?

I have a 200A panel as well, but my house never pulls more than 9kW even with AC and an electric dryer running in the summer.

Customer service is short handed but I'm sure you will be supported soon

the handles in all of our units in the shop do lay all the way down, they touch the busbar when you do it but the cabinet is categorically de-energized when this happens

I just received the 6-space rack (pre-assembled) with the yellow logo and the Lifepower4 batteries protrude past the rear of the rack, preventing the back panel from being installed. I haven't heard of anyone else reporting this issue.
rack3.jpeg

Customer service is short handed but I'm sure you will be supported soon

the handles in all of our units in the shop do lay all the way down, they touch the busbar when you do it but the cabinet is categorically de-energized when this happens
OK, I will try again with one battery and will find out if I may get them installed with handles laid down - maybe I've missed something... I will let you know. In the meantime, I will wait for a response from your support team.

I just received the 6-space rack (pre-assembled) with the yellow logo and the Lifepower4 batteries protruding past the rear of the rack, preventing the back panel from being installed. I haven't heard of anyone else reporting this issue.
View attachment 132664

We have been changing cabinet providers and the seamlessness has not been as easy as expected, we may be able to help you with this issue via credit or the orange cabinet as a swap, in the future we will be shipping all new yellow cabinets with ample room in front and back as well as the Panduit on the bus bars

please use non-flammable floor and wall backer, 4ft radius of flammable items for fire protection is NFPA

OK, I will try again with one battery and will find out if I may get them installed with handles laid down - maybe I've missed something... I will let you know. In the meantime, I will wait for a response from your support team.
we have all of the units in here setup like that, our staff is less than half today and the last couple of days with the texas ice storm.

I hope it's more like 480 watts idle consumption which should only burn one of my 5kWh batteries...
Even so, 480 watts * 24 hours = 11.52kWh

I've read reports of 100 watts idle usage, but never seen measurements to support either 100 watts or 80 watts. Maybe when you are all built up you could get a good sample size of idle draw readings. 6 individual idle readings could speak to a good average idle energy usage.

Ok, it depends on how we calculated. My point of view is, that I usually only need the battery at night time without solar (about 12 hours) to feed every load including the inverter idle energy. On daytime it will be driven by solar... so we are both right :)

Back