diy solar

diy solar

EG4 new AIO rated 12K output and 18kPV aka "EG4-18Kpv-12LV"

At around 50% and below it’s completely silent. Even at 75% it’s pretty quiet. Around 75% and above is when the full fan comes on it seems like. If you are using the solar directly in some cases it’s silent also. So say 5kw to loads. And 5kw to batteries. The fans won’t ramp up. Which I thought was interesting. So technically you are taking in 10kw but it’s dead quiet. It has to be 6kw or above to a specific task. Mppt or loads.

Watching the video on a computer. Didn't seem as loud as it did on my tablet. The pitch seemed Lower on the computer.
On the tablet it sounded close to a Chargeverter. Which is a very annoying wine.

Watching the video on a computer. Didn't seem as loud as it did on my tablet. The pitch seemed Lower on the computer.
On the tablet it sounded close to a Chargeverter. Which is a very annoying wine.

I know what you mean. Yeah it’s not as high pitched as the chargeverter.

The surprising thing for me is like I kinda said in my post, it runs cooler during full sun than at night. Why have the fans on even at 6k if they aren't needed? Obviously the huge pro here is it has such low "standby" power used that it doesn't need fans at night. Hopefully the fan controller is set up in a way that in the future they can run smarter temperature based fan control. That would be amazing. They obviously already have temperature sensing. Let me blow my mini split directly on it and never spin up the fan at all without me having to go in and cut wires.

Here's my last 7 days of usage and PV output. Right now I'm not using batteries at night, so the only power going through the inverter is PV.
1691092043248.png
1691092181780.png

Well, it wasn’t what the tech guy told me at first that it was a new version of grid assist, it was not.

Im back to EPS mode, which even though it has its limitations at least i know it really exports 0 to the grid.

Hopefully they can fix this problem and i can get back to grid assist. View attachment 160749
Hey guys i have great news, thanks to @Heritage1 for his advice of switching to firmware 0e:0e, its 5:40pm, the sun is setting and I have 0.0kWH exported!
IMG_7731.jpeg

On the fan front, I would have engineered it with several sensors. Alarm when they don't agree, and ramp up fans purely on temps. Mine are in a room off the garage, and last week the thermometer was showing 118, output was > 6KW and I did not hear fans from the units, though I had a floor fan running on low.

Hey guys i have great news, thanks to @Heritage1 for his advice of switching to firmware 0e:0e, its 5:40pm, the sun is setting and I have 0.0kWH exported!
View attachment 160911
Great to hear you have positive results! 0E:0E definitely has been working well for me for awhile now. At most I have seen 0.1kWh in a day but most days it has been 0. The days I see the 0.1 are typically ones which there are some big swings either in load or my solar, which are probably difficult for the inverter to react enough in those situations. From watching on my Solar Assistant (which shows data updating at pretty quick intervals) it is typically showing exports of 100-250 watts for a period of maybe 5-10 seconds.

Hopefully it keeps working well for you as well.

Great to hear you have positive results! 0E:0E definitely has been working well for me for awhile now. At most I have seen 0.1kWh in a day but most days it has been 0. The days I see the 0.1 are typically ones which there are some big swings either in load or my solar, which are probably difficult for the inverter to react enough in those situations. From watching on my Solar Assistant (which shows data updating at pretty quick intervals) it is typically showing exports of 100-250 watts for a period of maybe 5-10 seconds.

Hopefully it keeps working well for you as well.
Thank so much, I really appreciate your help and guidance

Has anyone tried to replace fans with something like the noctura brand fans? I remember my TiVo fans being pretty noisy at times and someone suggested a noctura fan…it was night and day when I replaced them. Fans seem to be a recurring theme on these forums

I don't see it on monitor.eg4electronics. I just walked over into my 105F room, where they are mounted a foot away from each other and I see the on the display the leftmost reporting 65/74/6x.. and the right one reporting 56/65/5x... for T0-T4.

I just realized the fans appear to blow *down.* At some level it's venting but I've spent a lot of time on cooling in data centers, and you always run the hot air out the top, cold air in from the bottom. Maybe I'm feeling reflected air or something? I will re-check this when I'm charging the car tomorrow. Can anyone else confirm or deny this to be the case? My plan is/was to put a big vent fan in the roof. That might be sub-optimal if it's fighting the airflow of the unit.

Do you need to do it at max power for your range requirements?
Depends on previous usage. I have to be fully charged at 6am. A service call can come at any time. And I could have to drive for 3 hours, round trip. And there are no fast charging stations, along the route.
In a pinch, I can always rig up a way to charge at the mine. But it makes working more difficult, leaving my truck in one place.

Has anyone tried to replace fans with something like the noctura brand fans? I remember my TiVo fans being pretty noisy at times and someone suggested a noctura fan…it was night and day when I replaced them. Fans seem to be a recurring theme on these forums
I love Noctua fans. They are generally very quiet, but they do not usually move as much air. I ended up having to swap them back out in my Juniper EX/POE switches, it was just getting a little too hot. I found something in-between the ridiculous factory fans and the Noctua's. There is a direct correlation between fan speed and noise, so generally in the electronics world if you can fit it (on like a cpu cooler or something) you just get a bigger but slower fan that moves the same air, but makes less noise. Unfortunately because of size constraints a lot of the 1U gear gets 15K+rpm fans that like to sing.

Depends on previous usage. I have to be fully charged at 6am. A service call can come at any time. And I could have to drive for 3 hours, round trip. And there are no fast charging stations, along the route.
In a pinch, I can always rig up a way to charge at the mine. But it makes working more difficult, leaving my truck in one place.
Wow! Three hours is gonna really tap most EV's even if you can keep it under 60. It's pretty impressive you can store and then move enough juice from your batteries to your EV. The sheer quantity needed explains why you have so much battery. I see about a 7% wattage loss battery->ac, you gotta be needing 40-50KWH from the batteries on a tough day. I'm a little suprised 75ish runs you thru the night charging a car. Then again your nights are probably not in the 90's. I've been seriously considering DIY'ing a string to save some coin, but I have space constraints, and the rack mount stuff is really easy to deal with. After all it's only money.

Wow! Three hours is gonna really tap most EV's even if you can keep it under 60. It's pretty impressive you can store and then move enough juice from your batteries to your EV. The sheer quantity needed explains why you have so much battery. I see about a 7% wattage loss battery->ac, you gotta be needing 40-50KWH from the batteries on a tough day. I'm a little suprised 75ish runs you thru the night charging a car. Then again your nights are probably not in the 90's. I've been seriously considering DIY'ing a string to save some coin, but I have space constraints, and the rack mount stuff is really easy to deal with. After all it's only money.
To clarify.
Don't have enough battery, yet.
Also Don't have the EV, yet. Have to finish the solar system first.

Back