diy solar

diy solar

EG4LL 5000Wh battery mounting orientation?

DW SD

Solar Enthusiast
Will and David Poz, I believe have tested these EG4LL server-rack format batteries with high marks.
https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifepower4-lithium-battery-12v-400ah/
Can they be mounted in any orientation? For example on the small side? I want to mount under the RV dinette. The base is not deep enough to flat mount.
I did email signature solar (both sales and support). They haven't responded. While not a great sign, I did see a message on the site that they are having issues due to weather.

Battleborn confirms that LiFePO4 chemistry batteries are mountable in any orientation due to limited electrolyte. I assume then, this would apply elsewhere.

Can anyone confirm for EG4LL batteries? The installation manual doesn't designate. Just that they should be securely mounted.

Note, In another RV application, I installed EVE 280Ah cells on their sides with no repercussions, at least @ 2 year mark.

Thank you,

Doug

Will and David Poz, I believe have tested these EG4LL server-rack format batteries with high marks.
https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifepower4-lithium-battery-12v-400ah/
Can they be mounted in any orientation? For example on the small side? I want to mount under the RV dinette. The base is not deep enough to flat mount.
I did email signature solar (both sales and support). They haven't responded. While not a great sign, I did see a message on the site that they are having issues due to weather.

Battleborn confirms that LiFePO4 chemistry batteries are mountable in any orientation due to limited electrolyte. I assume then, this would apply elsewhere.

Can anyone confirm for EG4LL batteries? The installation manual doesn't designate. Just that they should be securely mounted.

Note, In another RV application, I installed EVE 280Ah cells on their sides with no repercussions, at least @ 2 year mark.

Thank you,

Doug
I don’t see why you can’t. They won’t leak or have any change in chemistry flow.

Hi Jay,
Thank you for the reply.
I did hear the same from the folks @ signature solar. I did hear something slightly different from members of this community on 200Ah EVE cells, which given the same chemistry I'd assume the same guidance.
In any event, I'll proceed with this installation.

Doug

From Johannes Boonstra of Victron:

”Installing the battery other the upright creates more mechanical stress on the bridge (on where the plates are attached) and there is the risk that valves dont work optimal. So its both lifespan and safety which is at risk…For our product range of batteries its needed to use them upright, also the lithium versions”

Hi Danke,
Thanks! interesting.
The mfg says it can be mounted in any orientation. Since they do the warranty, I'll go with that.
The application isn't stressful. Mostly very low loads and charging rates. <.1C.
Doug

Hi Danke,
Thanks! interesting.
The mfg says it can be mounted in any orientation. Since they do the warranty, I'll go with that.
The application isn't stressful. Mostly very low loads and charging rates. <.1C.
Doug
Yeah, Victron is mostly for mobile applications, so maybe that’s why he’s talking about the stress. I guess my only concern would be weight, if it is placed up right, the bottom cell would have seven cells on top of it.

Yeah, Victron is mostly for mobile applications, so maybe that’s why he’s talking about the stress. I guess my only concern would be weight, if it is placed up right, the bottom cell would have seven cells on top of it.
Good thought. I intend to mount in on the back / rear. so the cells would only have their own weight. This is also a mobile application.

From Johannes Boonstra of Victron:

”Installing the battery other the upright creates more mechanical stress on the bridge (on where the plates are attached) and there is the risk that valves dont work optimal. So its both lifespan and safety which is at risk…For our product range of batteries its needed to use them upright, also the lithium versions”

Back