diy solar

diy solar

Emf radiations and dirty electricity claims... solutions or ignore ?

Danny94

I am currently planing to setup solar panels for ~8 kWp.
While researching i came across with some articles/informations made me worrying. I have not understood 100% of this stuff and try to share claims by those articles.

According the claims EMF is emitted from:
-Inverter
-Smart meter
-Wiring

According those claims dirty electricity is the current which you get after inverter has converted DC (current from panels) into AC. This current should not be a clean sinus wave like provided from power provider, but unstable and messy.

From my understanding EMF produced by dirty electricity through wires, devices... should be the cause why dirty electricity could be bad for humans. Also maybe lights, monitors which could be disturbing if not running stable frequency... I dont know.

One article i found interesting: https://www.shieldyourbody.com/solar-panels-emf-radiation/

1. Does wiring from solar panels to inverter (DC current) can emit EMF aswell ? Or does only AC after inverter does ?
  1. Do solar Panels themself emit some kind of "unhealthy" radiation ?
2. How much EMF do inverter, smart meter, wiring emit ? Is it really strong or do radiation fade after few meters ?
3. We have planed to build a room at the basement surrounded by bricks for smart meter, inverter and battery... could this be enough to block all of the produced EMF ?
  1. In case not, if we build a faraday cage inside the wall do we need to ground it ?
  2. Do we even need a smart meter ? According some claims smart meter can emit dangerous radiations (ionizing radiation), is that true ?
4. To reduce dirty electricity would it be better to convert DC before or after battery ? Like:
  1. DC from solar -> Battery - > Inverter - > House
  2. DC from solar -> Inverter - > Battery -> House
5. Is there any way to fix dirty electricity if we buy some kind of premium Inverter or accessories ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
There are plenty of things in this messed-up world to pay attention to and prepare for, and EMF is not even on that list, in my view.
Not to mention, EMF is everywhere and anywhere there is magnetism or electricity, which is....everywhere.
The only way to shield one's self from EMF would be to live inside a Faraday cage; and to sip one's breathing air and water thru a straw.
There are plenty of bigger fish to fry.....

The general accepted differentiation of what is hazardous and what is not is whether it produces ionizing radiation, at least within realistic field levels within earth environment. Living next to a magnetar star with ten billion tesla magnetic field would not be good.

Microwave ovens use ionizing radiation to heat food.

The ability to produce ionizing radiation is a combination of frequency and amplitude variation of envelope. 5G cell phones are close to being controversial due to its high peak to average RF envelope.

There is not really anything within a typical PV systems or battery inverters that produces enough ionizing radiation to be hazardous, other than getting UV radiation from the sun when installing the panels.

We have some people in our town who are/profess to be highly sensitive to EMFs. They say they notice the radiation coming from the smartmeters and inverters. If you fall into this category, you will want to find a mitigating solution and/or simply not install solar. For most of us, we won't notice anything different. I'd simply recommend not installing the inverter on the outside wall by your bed.

Electricity from a decent sine wave inverter will have tighter specs than from the grid.

It will also have more high frequency harmonics, unless a neighbor has something producing greater harmonics. These can matter in terms of causing noise in sensitive electronics. HAM radio operators complain about the interference from inverters. Of course, that interference is measured in milliwatts, and they may be transmitting intentionally in kilowatts and listening to distant operators at microwatts.

The inductors and transformers in equipment will make magnetic fields, 60 Hz and whatever switching frequencies. Your microwave oven may be the greatest source of 60 Hz magnetic fields in your house. You can get a meter which will measure that.

U.S. considers EM fields a hazard only if enough to heat tissue. I've heard that Russia has lower field strength limits. It is claimed that lower fields can affect cell function, because cells work on both chemical and electrical signals. Supposedly that has been demonstrated in a Petri dish. Higher frequencies (like cell phone) are heavily attenuated by water, so I would expect vanishing low signal levels to get past skin and possibly affect deeper tissue. I've read that "backscatter X-ray" at the airport (millimeter wave) does show something from bones in the body, indicating it penetrates and interacts a bit deeper than claimed.

EM fields decay as square of distance. Magnetic fields decay as cube of distance.
Distance is your friend.

We have some people in our town who are/profess to be highly sensitive to EMFs. They say they notice the radiation coming from the smartmeters and inverters. If you fall into this category, you will want to find a mitigating solution and/or simply not install solar. For most of us, we won't notice anything different. I'd simply recommend not installing the inverter on the outside wall by your bed.

We should try Fisher's Exact test on them.

Maybe they're full of it, and maybe there is truth to that.

It's one of the oldest cons in the book. Speaking of which, you have purchased their book right?

Oh, and before you could make money with click-through links, "dirty electricity" meters were popular too.

The bigger problem is all that dirty radio and television signals pouring through your body right now. Time to move to one of our radiation-free estates. :)

Then of course it drifts into the cellphone conspiracy studies. All old stuff that gets brought up time and again. They have a new book that covers that specifically, so don't delay. Only a small additional shipping charge. Operators are standing by to take your order!

As a DIy person you can make effective EMF shielding for personal wear. Tin foil has been proved to deflect, cancel harmful signals and even mind control attempts.

Do not just wear it on your head! Full body suits are necessary.
???

It's been awhile, but you can trace these cons all the way back to the DC vs AC days. Edison vs Tesla.

The snake oil tech-grifters were active then too. Our dirty-electricity pills will protect you!

I am currently planing to setup solar panels for ~8 kWp.
While researching i came across with some articles/informations made me worrying. I have not understood 100% of this stuff and try to share claims by those articles.

According the claims EMF is emitted from:
-Inverter
-Smart meter
-Wiring

According those claims dirty electricity is the current which you get after inverter has converted DC (current from panels) into AC. This current should not be a clean sinus wave like provided from power provider, but unstable and messy.

From my understanding EMF produced by dirty electricity through wires, devices... should be the cause why dirty electricity could be bad for humans. Also maybe lights, monitors which could be disturbing if not running stable frequency... I dont know.

One article i found interesting: https://www.shieldyourbody.com/solar-panels-emf-radiation/

1. Does wiring from solar panels to inverter (DC current) can emit EMF aswell ? Or does only AC after inverter does ?
  1. Do solar Panels themself emit some kind of "unhealthy" radiation ?
2. How much EMF do inverter, smart meter, wiring emit ? Is it really strong or do radiation fade after few meters ?
3. We have planed to build a room at the basement surrounded by bricks for smart meter, inverter and battery... could this be enough to block all of the produced EMF ?
  1. In case not, if we build a faraday cage inside the wall do we need to ground it ?
  2. Do we even need a smart meter ? According some claims smart meter can emit dangerous radiations (ionizing radiation), is that true ?
4. To reduce dirty electricity would it be better to convert DC before or after battery ? Like:
  1. DC from solar -> Battery - > Inverter - > House
  2. DC from solar -> Inverter - > Battery -> House
5. Is there any way to fix dirty electricity if we buy some kind of premium Inverter or accessories ?

Thanks.
The new covid vaccines contain protections against EMF and dirty A.C.

Well guys please just a little bit of seriousness, though it was funny.
There is enough evidence/studys for both sides and still a lot of stuff unknown in terms of health.

For me its important to clear those things out as our 8000-9000wp project is of bigger dimension.
We will invest tones of money into it and if it "could" be bad for health now or in future, just to get independet and save a few bucks it makes no sense to me anymore. As long as there is not 100% evidence for safe side i am taking care of worst case scenario and do the best to avoid any complications which can be avoided.

If we can build this up safely, fine. If not i discard the project.

You can do jokes about me and my question but i would be happy if you can help me work things out aswell.
Thanks.

...As long as there is not 100% evidence for safe side i am taking care of worst case scenario and do the best to avoid any complications which can be avoided.

Working with electricity has hazards. I would put the danger of negative physical response to low level EMF as being too low as to be anything to worry about.
Take for instance water is not 100% safe. Yet if you avoid it for that reason you will suffer.

Most people that get wrapped up in worry over hard to prove dangers redily ignore rather simple hazards such as falls, car accidents, use of addictive substances or even too much sun exposure.

There is enough evidence/studys for both sides and still a lot of stuff unknown in terms of health.

For me its important to clear those things out as our 8000-9000wp project is of bigger dimension.
We will invest tones of money into it and if it "could" be bad for health now or in future, just to get independet and save a few bucks it makes no sense to me anymore. As long as there is not 100% evidence for safe side i am taking care of worst case scenario and do the best to avoid any complications which can be avoided.

You can do jokes about me and my question but i would be happy if you can help me work things out aswell.
Thanks.
The device you typed this response into likely dosed you with thousands of times the EMF you will get from a solar electric system.

It's not about you - plenty of people have been taken in by it. It is perpetuated by the never ending evidence and studies (mostly from bogus sources, like 4 out of 5 dentists) and a lot of unknown health. That's the hook since the turn of the (last) century.

It's just a warning not to waste your time. Like I mentioned, if you research it, you'll find that this topic is brought up over and over again. Earliest time for me was back in the 70's, when using a DEC Microvax text-terminal on Usenet.

From a solar perspective, many of the comments back then were about moving to the prairies of Montana, using only pure safe-dc, certainly no ac-switching devices, and eschewing the use of pwm charge controllers, and promoting the hysteresis-relay type of scc instead. Pretty radical, but if it makes one feel good, then so be it.

Last edited:

Thanks.
Danny,

Yes, a lot of levity in this thread, but all joking aside, in all sincerity and seriousness, your fear of exposure to EMF via as stated, your large solar power system, is simply unwarranted.
You would be allowing the spirit of fear to decieve and defeat you, were you to abandon your project because of said fear.
I genuinely hope this helps...!

Back