diy solar

diy solar

Energy Efficiency vs. Throwing Money at a problem

BentleyJ

Solar Wizard
I understand this forum is for DIY Solar, I hope its OK to go off topic a little for educational purposes. This comparison is based on Nat Gas usage.
This post is mostly aimed towards new forum members and anyone who is lurking and/or here still learning. Long time forum members and contributors already know this so probably nothing here for you unless you're bored.

Often times we see posts here on the forum from members who have rather high utility usage and immediately want to design a massive, overpriced solar system to reduce or eliminate their bills. In doing so they have completely over looked the possibility of being able to lower consumption WITHOUT changing their lifestyle or comfort level and without spending $50,000 on a system. So in the interest of saving time, I'll skip to the conclusion first with details to follow if anyone is interested.

Efficiency Matters, a lot, and its even more important when utility rates are increasing at multiples of the inflation rate.
Cost Comparison:
1) 1,900 sq ft. typical track house in Southern CA built in 1988. Added onto, customized, weatherized and upgraded with the highest efficiency, commonly available consumer brands. Average monthly Nat Gas bill for Winter months last 5 years, $50 to $75. Last month bill, $204.
2) Sister-in-Law's 1200sq ft, 1980;s manufactured home in the same City. $300.

Perhaps $100 doesn't seem like that much more but compare it on a square footage basis and the divergence is much greater. Actually its more than double. It doesn't take too many months of saving $100+ to get pay back on the cost of high efficiency appliances.

Another point worth mentioning, we quite frequently use Nat Gas in our wood burning fireplace. Low flame just to keep the wood nice and red producing radiant heat, many times for 10 to 12 hrs straight yet our bill was still affordable without having to turn down the tstat to 60 deg.

Here is the list of items that were improved at the same time solar was added to the house.
LED lighting
Upgraded insulation
95% Condensing Furnace with ECM blower motor.
18 SEER condenser also with ECM fan motor.
New R-8 ductwork
95% condensing tankless water heater.
Front loading washing machine, uses less hot water.
Pentair 1.5HP VFD pump for the backyard water fall.
Weather strip all exterior doors to stop air infiltration.
Seal other interior building penetrations: Electrical boxes in the walls and ceilings, bathroom exhaust fans, recessed lighting cans, under cabinet through wall plumbing, attic access panels, HVAC registers. IMHO, this is an important one that is often overlooked. Go around the house sometime and count penetrations. A little leakage at each one is a big deal.

Bottom line all these details matter and a couple rolls of foam weather stripping, caulking and drywall path don't cost much.

I feel guilty, after 28 years off grid where I used every trick in the book to reduce my consumption, to now being grid tied with wind, solar, and hydro, to be able to do stupid things. My favorite stupid thing is to use the electric clothes dryer, on a 90+ degree summer day. I still can't use up all the excess power and KW credits I produce, and all the equipment was bought long ago so I don't stress about it too much. Not to say that my home isn't very well insulated, and also no larger than it needs to be, just that at some point once you are "ahead of the game" it's a guilty pleasure to be stupid about some things!

Another point worth mentioning, we quite frequently use Nat Gas in our wood burning fireplace. Low flame just to keep the wood nice and red producing radiant heat, many times for 10 to 12 hrs straight yet our bill was still affordable without having to turn down the tstat to 60 deg.
I have a friend who is going to install a wood-burning stove, but would also like the natural gas option. What are those called that can do both? Hybrid?

The craziest waste I have ever seen was a guy in my town with a 12 Kilowatt solar array and a 10 Kilowatt windmill, his house was rather small and he was producing far more power than he could ever use. At the time I visited his house there was no net metering and he was bragging about only having to pay $1.70 month to SCE to use the grid as a battery. His house was still using gas for heat and water heating and he drove a hybrid. I am guessing on the size of his house, it was maybe 1500 square feet at the most.

Similar size PV and half as much house. I was allowed to install and get rebate for PV 200% of consumption. I ran the pool pump 24/7 for a month and turned in that bill.
Then I installed a 10kW electric duct heater downstream of gas furnace, and a switch so I can choose my heat source.
I'm still manually selecting, need to make that automatic in case of grid down (or bypass my battery system.) When I don't notice power failure, battery is drained in under an hour. But summer, running A/C PV direct it is great.

At the time, rebate paperwork didn't say I had to keep the equipment there (later version did.) My plan at the time was to buy a second home in Hawaii and take part of system there. Thanks for the 50% rebate!

I bought a large commercial swamp cooler for my shop/hangar combo a few years back, and it's set on 75 degrees all summer, the cat and the dog appreciate it. Then I bought a plug in Prius, 3 ebikes, a Sur Ron elctric pitbike, and still have KWH to spare. My most recent purchase in an attempt to use more power is this:https://www.ruffiansnowbikes.com/product-page/ruffian-sende-electric I've had no propane for 15 years now, I've heard it's no longer around $1.00 or less a gallon?

When I ride in the summer with my town buddies, I like to mention from time to time (until they tell me to shut up) that the energy pushing me up the hill is thanks to the snow we skiied and boarded on last winter, and it is true! The watershed on the range behind my place, where there is also a ski area, is what feeds my .9KW hydro system, and if I choose to charge down at the powershed after the juice gets inverted to 120 VAC but before heading over to my meter base, the bike's energy is coming from the same snow, I get to use it twice.

A large component of our motivation is to reduce consumption of fossil fuels. We have a coal heavy grid here, so every kWh of grid import we can eliminate is a good thing, provided the embedded carbon cost of what we use can be readily recovered/repaid. That generally happens quite quickly with fossil heavy grids, it would take much longer on low carbon grids.

I bought a large commercial swamp cooler for my shop/hangar combo a few years back, and it's set on 75 degrees all summer, the cat and the dog appreciate it. Then I bought a plug in Prius, 3 ebikes, a Sur Ron elctric pitbike, and still have KWH to spare. My most recent purchase in an attempt to use more power is this:https://www.ruffiansnowbikes.com/product-page/ruffian-sende-electric I've had no propane for 15 years now, I've heard it's no longer around $1.00 or less a gallon?

When I ride in the summer with my town buddies, I like to mention from time to time (until they tell me to shut up) that the energy pushing me up the hill is thanks to the snow we skiied and boarded on last winter, and it is true! The watershed on the range behind my place, where there is also a ski area, is what feeds my .9KW hydro system, and if I choose to charge down at the powershed after the juice gets inverted to 120 VAC but before heading over to my meter base, the bike's energy is coming from the same snow, I get to use it twice.
Where and when were you getting propane for a $1 a gallon, I was paying over $3 a gallon delivered back in the 90’, I got tired of that after a few years a went to a wood stove and electric for everything else. The last few years the price of electricity has skyrocketed around here, it was what convinced me I needed to setup some solar. Electricity here is 31 cents a kWh for the first tier, second tier goes up to 40 cents, never made it to the third tier but I am sure it is a lot.

Similar size PV and half as much house. I was allowed to install and get rebate for PV 200% of consumption. I ran the pool pump 24/7 for a month and turned in that bill.
I did overpannel our house about 200% as well. I found out though, when you first move into a home, since there is no kWh history of you living there, then technically the solar installer is responsible for figuring our PV necessary to power the home. So my installer basically told me "we can put up as much as you want and we tell SCE how much is needed". It worked out great! Now we have 11kW of solar on a very very well insulated 1600sq/ft home ?

Back