diy solar

diy solar

Energy monitoring: Emporia Vue vs. Sense

AZ Solar Junkie

Maricopa, AZ
Hey guys - I've been looking into home energy monitoring, and I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on the 2 main products I've run across. The Emporia Vue has been recommended by a number of people on the forum, but I also ran across one called Sense that has intriguing features using AI as well as a separate solar monitoring option, but it's more expensive. Has anyone tried the Sense or otherwise of thoughts on the 2 products? The Vue supports a much larger number of sensors for monitoring individual circuits, where the Sense relies more on AI to somehow identify loads introduced by different types of devices, but I'm not sure how much stock to put in that claim.

FYI Sense has been around a bit longer than catch phrases of AI (2015). They were a Boston based start up.

I have two Emporia Vue and their EV charger and I have talked to their tech support three times to ask questions and their tech support remotely was even able to detect that I have a loose connection in my EV charger by looking at the input voltage. I don't know anything about Sense but I would go with Emporia, if you want a company that stands behind their products. I wished, I could say the same thing about Signature Solar tech support whom I spent $20,000 on their products vs. Emporia less than $1000.

I would trust the dedicated CT sensor monitoring of the Vue, more then the guessimate that Sense uses for individual circuit monitoring. I've only used the Vue though, the only disadvantage if you have all the CTs with the Vue there's a lot wires for each CT that need to be organized, and take up space in the breaker box. Emporia also has smart plugs that monitor individual loads as well for even more detail.

Hey guys - I've been looking into home energy monitoring, and I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on the 2 main products I've run across. The Emporia Vue has been recommended by a number of people on the forum, but I also ran across one called Sense that has intriguing features using AI as well as a separate solar monitoring option, but it's more expensive. Has anyone tried the Sense or otherwise of thoughts on the 2 products? The Vue supports a much larger number of sensors for monitoring individual circuits, where the Sense relies more on AI to somehow identify loads introduced by different types of devices, but I'm not sure how much stock to put in that claim.
I love the idea of sense. After having it for a year, it died. They honored the warranty and sent me a knew one, so kudos to them for that. However, when the new one arrived, they didn't have any way to migrate the data from my old sense to my new, so it had to start relearning all over again. (caveat: this was more than 3 years ago now, so maybe they've addressed this?)

At first, I was REALLY impressed in how fast it was learning things. My fridge, dryer, AC, freezer, even the dethaw stage of my ice maker. I honestly kinda enjoyed the game of "it detected a new thing, lemme go figure out what it is!" But then, it slowed WAY down. I had been told it had a hard time learning low-draw items like LEDs, so I was surprised when it learned the light bulb (incandescent) inside of my dryer.. But after it slowed down, it was only detecting things every couple of weeks. There was no way to train it. At least, not back then. Not sure if things have changed. But it would have been ideal to have some way to do something like.. turn a light switch on and off repeatedly and "tell" sense that this is a bedroom cieling fan.. (as an example)

Today, I use the emporia VUE. At first, it seems more limited than the sense, and more cumbersom to wire (I'll give Sense that. you give it power.. connect some CT's around the mains.. and you are essentially done). but I find the VUE to give me more complete and accurate information about the stuff I care about. It doesn't take long for the novelty of "oh, it detected a new thing!" to wear off.

If I had the perfect world, I'd take the AI learning ability of sense, and the per-circuit detection stuff of the vue, and combine them. Imagine how much quicker the Sense could identify stuff it *also* was aware of which CT/input the spike was on. But since that world doesn't exist, I currently rock the Vue, and sent the Sense back to them.

One other thing about the sense for those of us with "hybrid" inverters. If you use a critical loads panel.. and the inverter sends power to it from batteries, the sense never really had a way to deal with it. It's not like a microinverter scenario where you can clamp around a wire, and any current in that wire is "production". in the hybrid inverter scenario, when you clamp around the wire.. you don't have a way to detect if the current is coming from battery, from AC passthrough, or from solar/PV. so, it's not quite as informative with hybrid inverters as it is with straight "grid tied" setups. *I* personally didn't have an issue with this (I collect metrics in a bunch of other ways) but if you are looking for a single pane of glass.. I don't think either the VUE or Sense is ideal for hybrid inverters.

Last edited:
I have Sense since the beginning.
They are imo still a startup, always short on resources because of funding.
It works great with regular solar, pure grid tie only.
The moment you start thinking about hybrid inverters (solark/eg4/luxpower AIO), it simply doesn't work.
The inverter is hiding the loads, that is logical.
I can live with that.
But despite months of conversations, they refuse to alter the way they calculate things.
So even the basic from/to grid is no longer working for me since I got an AIO inverter.

More info about the sense on their forum:

Last edited:
I have the Emporia Vue 2, and it works great. The app is completely functional, if not a bit ugly and weird to navigate. The hardware itself seems great though.

You can apparently take the unit apart and flash them with ESPHome and simply ingest all of the data locally into something like HomeAssistant. Doing that would make it a totally local device, which is pretty cool. Although not what most people want, I suspect.

You can apparently take the unit apart and flash them with ESPHome and simply ingest all of the data locally into something like HomeAssistant. Doing that would make it a totally local device, which is pretty cool. Although not what most people want, I suspect.
Whoa, happen to have a link to info on this? I love HA.. and while the Vue is perfectly functional, it'd kinda be awesome just to consume the data locally, and do whatever the heck I want with it.

Whoa, happen to have a link to info on this? I love HA.. and while the Vue is perfectly functional, it'd kinda be awesome just to consume the data locally, and do whatever the heck I want with it.
Here is a link to the repo with code and instructions for flashing the device. I haven't done it yet, but long term I might. I'm currently just using a custom community integration to pull data from the Emporia cloud back into HomeAssistant- so that's an option as well.

I have Sense since the beginning.
They are imo still a startup, always short on resources because of funding.
It works great with regular solar, pure grid tie only.
The moment you start thinking about hybrid inverters (solark/eg4/luxpower AIO), it simply doesn't work.
The inverter is hiding the loads, that is logical.
I can live with that.
But despite months of conversations, they refuse to alter the way they calculate things.
So even the basic from/to grid is no longer working for me since I got an AIO inverter.

More info about the sense on their forum:

FWIW,
Sense is no longer a small startup. Both Schinder and Landis+Gyr invested big money into the company.
Sense does an excellent job with the visualizations and solid energy report for total used. It just flat SUCKS for individual load tracking, and the Sense leadership simply doesn't care.
The "AI" just doesn't work and it constantly believes it's found something new when it's just the same old device. I've had reporting say I had 10 HVAC systems and 5 refrigerators as an example. I gave up using it to monitor the actual usage of anything I didn't have pulled into a KASA plug.

I can't recommend anyone buy a Sense device unless they want aggregated reporting.

FWIW,
Sense is no longer a small startup. Both Schinder and Landis+Gyr invested big money into the company.
Sense does an excellent job with the visualizations and solid energy report for total used. It just flat SUCKS for individual load tracking, and the Sense leadership simply doesn't care.
The "AI" just doesn't work and it constantly believes it's found something new when it's just the same old device. I've had reporting say I had 10 HVAC systems and 5 refrigerators as an example. I gave up using it to monitor the actual usage of anything I didn't have pulled into a KASA plug.

I can't recommend anyone buy a Sense device unless they want aggregated reporting.
The Vue is sounding more and more like the more sensible choice - plus it costs less too ?

FWIW,

Does Sense not have individual monitoring clamps?

I would never trust anything to just guess using two 200A clamps if it's that kind of thing.

The Vue is awesome and as best I can tell, quite accurate.

I have had Sense installed at my home for 5 years and it's my go-to tool for all energy monitoring. I have the solar CT's installed and I can say unequivocally it's been the best $300 I ever spent on a home monitoring tool.

1700157764427.jpeg

Before I had solar installed this what it looked like, now it's in the same place just including those two CT's

1700157805644.jpeg

Does Sense not have individual monitoring clamps?
No branch CT's, just mains, which makes it easier to install. Its supposed to be able to identify each load via the mains due to their respective unique power consumption profile. As you can see from the posts above, Sense doesn't work as advertised.

Emporia is much better. The only complaint I have with the Vue system is that ONLY the 2 channels for the main CT's are capable of monitoring bi-directional (NET metering) energy flow. This is a problem because one of our grid-tie systems ties into a subpanel that is monitored by 2 of the branch CT's. I've called them a few times over 2 years and they keep promising the fix is coming soon.

Last edited:
No CT's which makes it easier to install. Its supposed to be able to identify each load via the mains due to their respective unique power consumption profile. As you can see from the posts above, Sense doesn't work as advertised.
That is not correct, it does have CT's and if you have solar it has four of them. Yes, it cannot identify everything in your house and it's not even close to as good as per outlet or per breaker monitoring, that part is a big gimmicky.

Here is a picture of the main CT's that monitor my consumption.

1700158158579.jpeg

One more vote for the Emporia Vue. Use it every day.

I've been around a lot of energy meters and they were all garbage. Difficult to set up, hard to keep on line, etc.. Never touched the Sense so I can't comment specially on it other than to say I'm so pleased with Vue and the support from Emporia I wouldn't consider anything else.

Back