diy solar

diy solar

Energy monitoring: Emporia Vue vs. Sense

My Enphase batteries provide 240 AC with the IQ8 Inverters built in.

My question with the Vue work with Grid, Solar, and battery AC in/out. Can you program it that way?

Anyone using it like that.

Edit. Just found out that I can do this with what I got already. Looks like vue is really too basic for my needs. I have the enphase app but don't really use it much.

Are you going to end up with one of those open source monitoring things that ingest from the API of various stuff and then present it in a single graph? I'm pretty sure it will have Enphase integration.

You can also get a Vue to monitor loads and ingest it into the same system. Vue can also be flashed with OSS firmware; I don't know if that has bidirectional capability on all channels. It probably has lower latency reporting, and reporting of stuff that is internal-only within Emporia (it doesn't show you everything in the app that it has internal metrics for).

Hi OP, thanks for considering the Emporia Gen 2 Vue Energy Monitor. We're here if you have any specific questions!

Hi OP, thanks for considering the Emporia Gen 2 Vue Energy Monitor. We're here if you have any specific questions!
Hi, when is Vue Gen3 coming out? There was an email sent out for beta testing 3 months ago. Will it have bidirectional AC battery monitoring? Will it also have backup battery option for the Vue itself in case of brief power interruption to prevent Vue from rebooting?

So I ended up getting 2 of the Emporia Vue Gen 2's - one for my main panel and one for my off-grid load center fed by the inverter. Both were working flawlessly for several hours and then all of a sudden all the values for both total usage as well as the individual circuits went to zero and stayed there for about the last 16 hours or so. Then they suddenly started reading correct values again just a few minutes ago. It seems apparent they were having an issue on the cloud side that finally just got fixed.

My question is if this is a rare occurrence or not. Is the system generally reliable or does this happen periodically? Since these give you no access to the data locally, the system is entirely dependent on the reliability of their cloud services, so hopefully this was a one-off situation...

I saw that too today. Pretty rare.

My bail out plan is to put the open source firmware in it.
while I would like to be able to get to the data locally, I also like to be able to see it away from home thru the cloud. If you do the flash update then you lose the cloud. Cant have it both ways. That was the good thing about Iotawatt, which cost more and now disconitued I believe

IotaWatt didn’t have cloud either and required you to do some hole opening and DNS stuff to get remote access.

With Vue modified to use esphome you would have an equivalent starting point to IotaWatt — metrics on a local service. Then you have to expose this service externally

There is another project to grab the data off Emporia into Home Assistant. I would guess So as long as the emporia cloud is up you can copy data to HA. And then go back and view this even if emporia is down. HA is most likely also faster than emporia’s servers

Are you going to end up with one of those open source monitoring things that ingest from the API of various stuff and then present it in a single graph? I'm pretty sure it will have Enphase integration.

You can also get a Vue to monitor loads and ingest it into the same system. Vue can also be flashed with OSS firmware; I don't know if that has bidirectional capability on all channels. It probably has lower latency reporting, and reporting of stuff that is internal-only within Emporia (it doesn't show you everything in the app that it has internal metrics for).

I already have emoncms setup and have been using it for a very long time. Just have never integrated the enphase batteries monitoring into it yet.

So I ended up getting 2 of the Emporia Vue Gen 2's - one for my main panel and one for my off-grid load center fed by the inverter. Both were working flawlessly for several hours and then all of a sudden all the values for both total usage as well as the individual circuits went to zero and stayed there for about the last 16 hours or so. Then they suddenly started reading correct values again just a few minutes ago. It seems apparent they were having an issue on the cloud side that finally just got fixed.

My question is if this is a rare occurrence or not. Is the system generally reliable or does this happen periodically? Since these give you no access to the data locally, the system is entirely dependent on the reliability of their cloud services, so hopefully this was a one-off situation...
I lose my view of my Vues for two reasons:

1) Their cloud service goes down (very rare). I have three Vues in two properties so I can tell this is happening easily. Happens maybe 1-2 x/year and only for a few minutes, usually.

2) A Vue loses wifi connection. One of my units does that 1-2x month as best I can tell because it's the only thing on that end of that house that requires wifi so the AP is on the other end. Reconnects on its own after a few minutes. The others seem to be more reliable.

Overall I like them. Have tracked pretty well in line with the power company and allow me to figure out loads as we plan for possible off grid at another house we're building. Biggest complaint is the crappy CT connections into the unit. I'd much rather have less wire and screw terminals so I could customize the install and make better connections. Also wish they allowed for local data capture rather than cloud, but they're better than anything else I saw on the market at a reasonable price.

Servers went haywire this weekend. It is a very rare occurrence from my experience. Even to the point this is the first time I ever noticed it happening in the years I have had mine. Reading their forums it happens from time to time but this is the first time I noticed it.

Back