diy solar

diy solar

Enphase IQ Battery (Enphase Ensemble) Installation

Check that the normal app is updated every 15 min, you can see it in the gateway section
on the "devices" tab as shown to the right. The Cell Modem only updates every couple of
hours. If it is switched just call Tech support, they can switch it remotely.

the "live status" updates more frequently, but I'm not sure by how much.
View attachment 134565
Yea I knew that Enphase reports just every 15 min. I just wanted to complain about it. :)

You can get a code for as long as 6 months, see #388. If the internet is down you can get into your system (the cell phone app detects that and can use a local connection over a network connection). I get the 6 month code as it's easier for for my monitoring setup.
I think I have tried that before but I get stuck after logging in at that page https://entrez.enphaseenergy.com/
I get to this but nothing auto populates I probably need to call Enphase on this issue.

oYdVbyU.jpg

It's easy to test... a high amp device run on one circuit (e.g., typical vacuum cleaner). It should leave enough of a trace that you can run it on grid and then off battery to confirm the phases match up.
Well after going off grid and everything went so well I went back on grid and then after a while I noticed all went to H#$%%#

Crglv1x.jpg

Yea everything seemed to stop talking. I called Enphase and on the phone with them for a while. They did get all the issues resolved with the communication between devices and when he was done with that I gave him the case number from the other day where the Enphase tech was trying to tell me my CT's were not correct. I loaded up the house for him trying to out do the production which we never did achieve. I had the Heat and Water Heater on. LOL But he said the CT's looked good. I will still go out to the panels and check that that match L1 and L2 so for my piece of mind. The guy they had out here wiring everything up marked all the L1 with red tape you can see that in my posts above.

Here is some more screen shots and looking at this data I feel everything looks good. I'm not sure why after I went on grid yesterday I lost comms to everything? I know the Zigbee is problematic and The tech did say I could have a bad one or a bad IQ Controller??? Never mentioned anything about interference with the Zigbee and Devices.

I do use an Netgate 2100 with Pfsence and I have a Unifi Wifi setup with managed switches. I can check the 2.4Ghz traffic but we all know the 2.4 spectrum has issues already to many devices use it. I prefer Wifi 5 and 6. I also have an RF Explorer but I already know what I will find out.

Well some more screen shots. I did go back to Self Consumption last night. I don't care what the installer is trying to tell me. They don't know what they are talking about.

NpfRIQ2.jpg

dthXhYn.jpg

UFccyxL.jpg

:)

I think I have tried that before but I get stuck after logging in at that page https://entrez.enphaseenergy.com/
Yeah, it's a pain.
https://entrez.enphaseenergy.com/
Never mentioned anything about interference with the Zigbee and Devices.
Tech support can tell you what the values are. You can get that from https://envoy.local/ivp/ensemble/inventory, in the response it's

"comm_level_sub_ghz": 4,
"comm_level_2_4_ghz": 4,

The number is the number of "bars" like a cell phone signal. But, since you have Enlighten Manager you can get in dB from the dashboard summary.
1676339560031.png

Did you end up calling them to get a token?

Tech support can tell you what the values are. You can get that from https://envoy.local/ivp/ensemble/inventory, in the response it's

"comm_level_sub_ghz": 4,
"comm_level_2_4_ghz": 4,

The number is the number of "bars" like a cell phone signal. But, since you have Enlighten Manager you can get in dB from the dashboard summary.
View attachment 134735

I did not see that info in the Manager but I did find it when you goto My Enphase View / System / Live Vitals.

B1HATnB.jpg

LS6MMFw.jpg

W7Io1cO.jpg

AIEi7bL.jpg

AIEi7bL.jpg

Did you end up calling them to get a token?
No, I kept at it until I could write java code that grabs the 6th month token (it's in/around the posts the link provided above). It's so my diy monitoring always has access even if the internet is out. I wasn't a big fan of the heightened security, they could have left it open or password protected for non-routable IP addresses.

I did not see that info in the Manager but I did find it when you goto My Enphase View / System / Live Vitals.
Sweet! The numbers were more useful than the bars to me when I was orientating my dongles (hey! keep it clean! ; -). That discussion starts around #395.

Have to agree with your wife though, the batteries belong outside (hopefully that's not the south side of the house where they'll be in constant sunlight getting hot).
hi y'all, sorry to barge in slightly off-topic. What are the pros/cons with lithium batteries installed inside/outside, besides the concert about being in the sun ?
Thanks

hi y'all, sorry to barge in slightly off-topic. What are the pros/cons with lithium batteries installed inside/outside, besides the concert about being in the sun ?
Thanks
I thought about putting my Lithium iron phosphate batteries inside but I was told they will be in the shade and I live in Florida it will never really get cold enough to be affected. @svetz might have a better answer.

Thanks
They degrade a little faster when hot and charging even one time below zero can permanently ruin them. Check the datasheet for your setup. Fortress power says:

STATUSTEMPERATURE RANGE
Discharge Temperature-4° F to 130° F
Charge Temperature32° F to 114° F
Storage Temperature20° F to 95° F

But, some batteries have heaters built in so they work when cold, or an EMS that shuts them off if it's too cold or too hot.

... I was told they will be in the shade and I live in Florida it will never really get cold enough to be affected.
Depends on where in Florida you live. It does get below freezing some days in some parts of the state.

No, I kept at it until I could write java code that grabs the 6th month token (it's in/around the posts the link provided above). It's so my diy monitoring always has access even if the internet is out. I wasn't a big fan of the heightened security, they could have left it open or password protected for non-routable IP addresses.

Sweet! The numbers were more useful than the bars to me when I was orientating my dongles (hey! keep it clean! ; -). That discussion starts around #395.

So I did another Off Grid test today just for fun. Everything work 100% as planned. :)

I did have one of my Unifi Wifi AP pretty close to where the Enphase setup is and I moved it. Not sure if that was causing interference or not but probably not good to have it so close. It is blasting 2.4gig, 5gig, and the new Wifi 6 Freqs.

I am thinking about doing what you did and put the Zigbee in a separate box out of the AC Combiner. Not sure if that would do anything. I could just buy a good USB extender cable which I probably already have.

This is the Zigbee I have.

jKwRetY.jpg

1N8RHFx.jpg

Here are some screen shots from the phone app during the test.

qFGe6L8.jpg

foPOSG1.jpg

BLqvuKN.jpg

rTay8io.jpg

pJ1JFIY.jpg

4pZkQt8.jpg

:)

thanks for the take on battery location. Is there any concern about "fire" ? we keep hearing "spontaneous" events.

thanks for the take on battery location. Is there any concern about "fire" ? we keep hearing "spontaneous" events.
I think you are confused between the LiFePO4 and Lithium-ion.

Enphase uses the that much safer Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) not the tesla Lithium-ion battery.

See Post: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/can-lifepo4-batteries-combust-in-thermal-runaway-event.999/

I Quote @Will Prowse ...

Yes you can drill a hole in LTO or LiFePO4 and its fine. LiFePO4 will vent like crazy, but thats all. No fire. Lots of videos of this online.

thanks for pointing that out, wasn't thinking about the details, just lithium in general. So no problem installing LiFe in the basement then ? nice and cool in fact. Is there any non LiFe residential battery ? I am a little surprise about the Enphase battery, had impression it was more mature. A neighbor recently installed an Enphase battery system (in CA), the configuration is similar with all those boxes and wiring. But it is working great.

In the early days of AC coupling discussion, I recall a recommendation not to rely solely on frequency shifting for PV shedding. It seems now frequency shift is the primary method.

@svetz Just an update on my system. Batteries are doing well. I have had them on Self - Consumption mode for a while. That greatly reduces my grid dependence down to 3%. Storm Guard has kicked in a few times with the Florida weather. The Load Controllers are doing well. I have the HVAC setup to where it just stays on until the batteries are down to 30%. With the easy start my last reported inrush amps were around 35 amps. I have tested everything and take the house off grid alot and the batteries don't even hicup when the 4 ton hvac comes on. I plan on installing a 120VAC 12000 btu mini split just to have as a backup not sure what brand yet will install myself and can evac the lines as needed.

I am thinking about removing the hvac off the enphase load controller and setting up relays to control it at the thermostat level.

My next big test would be to deplete the batteries down to 25% and just before day break kill power to the house. This should in theory turn off power to everything because I have the batteries to shut down at 25%. Then see if the batteries at sun up start the array back up and essentially turn everything back on.

I just got an EcoFlow Delta 2 Max with a couple 160 watt panels for the cabin in the woods and will do a post on it soon. I don't need the 160w panels but they came with it. Got that wellbots 1599 free shipping and no tax deal.

VLNlUbx.jpg

dmxZaMA.jpg

eu3Y1cd.jpg

Last edited:
Back