diy solar

diy solar

Failed JK BMS

Any reccomendations for an alternate product (and please no Daly BMS :) )
I've got 3 JBD BMS's that I had intended to replace with JK BMS's. The JBD (also sold as Overkill) is a good BMS, but has passive balancing. The JBD app is pretty bad, but Overkill published a replacement that seems directly compatible with JBD and is rock solid.

I still have one JK BMS that is working fine, and I would prefer to get the nice active balancing on my other battery packs, but it will take quite a bit to convince me now.

4.11.0 is that the most recent?
I looked under version history and thats the last entry.
Can you attach the link for this version.

I've been ill, and am just catching up with this thread. Turns out my heart has a dodgy capacitor according to the surgeon. Sadly they don't have spares, and no, I wasn't aware that the pulse that drives the heart was an electrical capacitive discharge.

Thankfully my bms has been fine for weeks, but I haven't tried to access it. I was working with the opinion that best left is best policy.

Once we know whether JK are shipping better products then I will replace the faulty unit. Odd though that both are from the same order and same version but only one plays up.
Hopefully I can repair the dud and reuse it on a 4S set I have waiting to be set up with a separate system.

Oh I just installed it from the google play store.

I too have a dodgy heart and they installed a BMS (defib) to monitor my heart BMS :)
Oh, I didn't realise it was on the play store. I was using github. I'll have a look.

Sadly I'm an NHS patient, which means it's a lottery whether I actually get to move beyond a diagnosis to some sort of treatment. I'm on a list for some more tests but the surgeon (whose chair was broken and worn out) wasn't hopeful that would happen anytime soon. I turned 60 a fortnight ago so I now qualify for extra care (and free prescriptions whilst that perk remains) but there's not much of any under the present system apparently.
I only went to the doctors with an annoying cough and my heart rate was 38bpm.
Can't say I noticed apart from being out of breath all the time, which I put down to the cough.
Still have the cough and breathlessness but aspirin and cbd have got me up and running again, well not quite running but I was up the big oak trees cutting them back and terrifying my neighbours (who are 20 yrs my junior and get dizzy on the second rung of a ladder).

Still life in me yet and I've just had the first six months of my lithium battery. At £3k to convert from lead acid I'll be buggered if I am the one to give out first.

Play Store says the app won't work on my device and doesn't even give me the option to try.
Odd considering I have it already.

Anybody got the github link?

I have 4.12.1, I'll add it to my list here:

You can also get it through this link (which is where the QR code on the BMS brings you):

4.9.2 is the best I can install for some reason. And I had to step up through 9.0 & 9.1 to get there.
I guess android 6 is getting old. Either that or the recent update from lenovo that cut battery run time by 20% and ruined audio has something to do with it. Yet another device destined for the recycling incinerator. Hardly surprising dolphins are so clever, 2/3 of the ocean must be full of redundant tech. ???

Thanks for the links, at least I have them bookmarked for later.

FYI on JK-BMS LOGS

The internal logs of the JK-BMS are NOT ROLLING LOGS, they accept the first 50 Entries and then STOP. Hankzor & JK Corporate were advised last year, and they agreed this should be fixed along with other functions in November of 2022. To the best of my knowledge, this has NOT been done YET.

Just attempted to install the latest JKBMS Software "version 4.12.1 (build 3)" (March, 27,2023) which FAILED again saying Device Not Supported.

FYI on JK-BMS LOGS

The internal logs of the JK-BMS are NOT ROLLING LOGS, they accept the first 50 Entries and then STOP. Hankzor & JK Corporate were advised last year, and they agreed this should be fixed along with other functions in November of 2022. To the best of my knowledge, this has NOT been done YET.

Just attempted to install the latest JKBMS Software "version 4.12.1 (build 3)" (March, 27,2023) which FAILED again saying Device Not Supported.
Is there any way to clear it manually?

nope, there is no way to clear / reset the logs...
never heard another peep after November 2022 from Hankzor or JK so...

Yeah, especially with the 4s/8s ones - wait until I have a new one just to make sure.

Edit: I've ordered a BD4A8S4P from Hankzor first (since it's the cheapest). I'll update the thread once I have it.
Am I correct in saying the JK 'B2A8S20P' for 4s and 8s with included can and heat facilities (basically the latest version) is the problem BMS?
Why have you ordered the 'BD4A8S4P'?

Last edited:
OK ... I've read the whole thread. (as much as my pea brain could take in). Would this issue be true of the quality control for all JK BMS versions or just the b2a8s20p? I am considering the B2A24S20P, But I can wait if some of you are waiting on stock to test.

Why have you ordered the 'BD4A8S4P'?

The DCDC converters that are problematic are in that one as well. It's also the cheapest one. I have others coming as well.

Would this issue be true of the quality control for all JK BMS versions or just the b2a8s20p?

That's why I ordered a few different ones to check.

The DCDC converters that are problematic are in that one as well. It's also the cheapest one. I have others coming as well.

That's why I ordered a few different ones to check.
Ok thanks, your findings will be of interest, I was very close to buying one. Been looking at both the JB and JBD.

OK ... I've read the whole thread. (as much as my pea brain could take in). Would this issue be true of the quality control for all JK BMS versions or just the b2a8s20p? I am considering the B2A24S20P, But I can wait if some of you are waiting on stock to test.
Same boat as you!
Got a B2A8S20P, need a second one, should I go with the B2A24S20P or choose a different brand?

Thanks for all your input!

I've got one of the BMSes I ordered to check here now, but I've got a lack of time at the moment. I will let you know as soon as I find out. The BMS I fixed with the STI3470 converters is still running fine. I will do some high current tests and more extensive use this spring/summer. I'm going to put it in one of the prototypes of this thing and run a chain saw or two for a couple of days.

I've got one of the BMSes I ordered to check here now, but I've got a lack of time at the moment. I will let you know as soon as I find out.
How have you got on with these investigations?

My B2a8s20p are still working, the faulty one only gets upset if I try to access it or disconnect it.

However, my 7yo 3kVA inverter just went short across the battery input (stupid overload scenario)
So I am going to upgrade [be forced] to 48V 5kVA. Probably another Voltacon, because I'm a peasant on a pension. The last one has done well and I have used my mig welder from it (short welds/long breaks/needs must). Hence the overloading. I've managed to get away with this several times in 7 years but I guess this was once too often.
Can you recommended recommend a 48V bms? I was looking at the B2A20S20P & the 24S, both are similarly priced.

How fiddly is the repair of the B2a8s20p? I don't have a heat gun just soldering iron. Not a newbie to smd but my hands are not as steady and my eyes are fixed focus to the applied lenses.

Is there anyone in the UK who repairs electronics that you know of?
Seems a shame to bin kit that may have life in it.

Back