diy solar

diy solar

Fake BMS between SmartShunt and GoodWe

rthorntn

Hi,

Is a Fake BMS between SmartShunt and GoodWe SBP possible? Why, because I think the SBP is blocking charging above 60A because my battery is self defined, GoodWe support won't help with unsupported batteries.

My batteries (ten Zenaji Aeon LTO) have an internal BMS in each battery, it has no communication bus, if it detects an issue it trips the battery breaker.

I think the GoodWe SBP G2 uses Canbus to communicate with a battery BMS and I have a Victron SmartShunt so I can piece together a fake BMS with real data.

The SBP only discharges/charges my battery from grid, it has no load, I use MPP inverters to power my house load and for charging from solar.

I should say that I'm not a programmer but I am pretty good with computers and electronics.

Thanks.
Richard

Is a Fake BMS between SmartShunt and GoodWe SBP possible?
Sure... it's only software ;) I think I already sent you a link for that.

But.. have you checked the charge limit of your inverter? Maybe 60A is the max it can support?

Asking the same question multiple times on the same forum does not give you more answers, stick to one dedicated thread and provide answers to the replies to keep the information flowing and also investigate the replies. Once you are into an area there is not a dedicated application in place you are going to have to do your own work, finding the path of least resistance is the key. So find a solution that does 70% of what you want and then you only need to add the 30%.

Github is an excellent resource for open source ie free programs, a lot of which will run on a Pi and utilise the RS485 and Canbus USB adaptors.

https://github.com/

Victron Venus OS will run on a Pi and connect to the smartshunt, you then need to sort out how to link to a Goodwe inverter using a BMS protocol it supports. Node-red runs on Venus OS on a Pi so that is one option to link the smartshunt data in Venus and transfer to a Goodwe.

Last edited:
Back