diy solar

diy solar

Fake QR Code-Lifepo4 battery cells

Just a thought. Why does anyone rely on a QR code for anything at all? It's just a fancy barcode. Would you normally rely on the quality of an item just by its barcode, whether it's laser etched or a paper sticker?

If you saw two identical used cars in front of you. One has a nice looking QR code, the other has does not. Would you buy the first one?

Is there any reason - other than $/kWh - why we are still building our own batteries instead of just buying SOK, Signature Solar, etc? I remember all the headaches that came with DIYing a lifepo4 battery (ordering Grade A cells and receiving crap | BMS issues | compress/don't compress blah blah blah - not to mention the safety risks when skillset/knowledge/experience is limited (more common than most of us would like to admit). It just seems like we would save so much pain and time by just buying a retail quality battery - at least in the last six months or so.

1 - cost. Rack batteries seem to be 2-3 times the component cost of a DIY battery per Ah
2 - manageability. Server batteries are a large, heavy difficult to handle block. DIY and you only have to move one cell at a time and can arrange the layout to fit your location.
3 Understanding. If you've built it yourself you should have a good understanding of how it works and notice and fix it if it starts to misbehave.

DIYers are usually not building server rack batteries. So you cannot compare the cost of a server battery with a DIY battery.

But when comparing a regular LiFePo4 battery to a DIY battery, say 100AH or 200AH, the cost difference is minimal.

Just checked the SOK site. They are offering a 12V 206Ah (about 2500Wh) battery for 1159 euro about £1000, that works out at £0.41 per Wh.

I've just ordered 16 280Ah EVE cells (nominal 13400Wh) and a JK BMS for a total of £2079. that works out at £0.15 per Wh. Even if I were to buy good EVE cells from a UK seller it would only cost £0.22 per Wh.

Can't see a minimal cost difference there.

DIYers are usually not building server rack batteries. So you cannot compare the cost of a server battery with a DIY battery.

But when comparing a regular LiFePo4 battery to a DIY battery, say 100AH or 200AH, the cost difference is minimal.
I just finished building two 4s 12v batteries (280ah Eve cells from docan's USA warehouse) with separate bms's, all in I'm at around $1750 with shipping all taxes paid, all the weird hardware I am endlessly buying, all cabling (even made my own 1/0 cable busbars).

That is around $1750/7168wh or $0.24 per Watt. Server rack battery from SOK = $2087.93/5120wh or $0.408 per Watt. Almost twice the price per watt

SOK is one of the most expensive batteries. Same with Battleborn. Not a fair comparison.

A quick search on Amazon for 300AH 12v LiFePo4 batteries reveal most of them are around $1000 - $1100 with free shipping. That is pretty close to your 280AH DIY battery that you said cost $875 ($1750 for two).

SOK is one of the most expensive batteries. Same with Battleborn. Not a fair comparison.

A quick search on Amazon for 300AH 12v LiFePo4 batteries reveal most of them are around $1000 - $1100 with free shipping. That is pretty close to your 280AH DIY battery that you said cost $875 ($1750 for two).
I did a (somewhat) fair comparison. The batteries I built with Docan EVE cells would hopefully be similar in longevity / performance to the sok battery. (Sok would probably be a better battery overall along with a 10 year warranty through the vendor I quoted that price through).

3 Battleborn batteries would be $2622/3840 = $0.68 per watt, 67% more expensive than SOK, and 2.83 times the price per Watt than my DIY build.

Most of the shit you find on Amazon is garbage and cannot even be compared to any of the above. I'd gladly save a few hundred and build my own from quality components and workmanship rather than buying the fire hazard trash on Amazon.

Hello. I recently bought a batch of LFP batteries on Alibaba and found QR Code in this form. What would that mean?

Attachments

• IMG_20230604_223542.jpg
    IMG_20230604_223542.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20230604_223827.jpg
    IMG_20230604_223827.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20230604_223954.jpg
    IMG_20230604_223954.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20230604_230526.jpg
    IMG_20230604_230526.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 33
It could mean a lot of things. Test the capacity and see if that is an issue before worrying about something you probably cannot alter. Who was the vendor?
thanks. Qishou seller. I don't worry, but I'd like to know-this QR code is re-applied instead of old?

It means you got scammed. Next time ask on the forums before you buy, what good is it going to do now?
In this case, I'm deceived like all who previously bought from Shenzhen Qishou Technology Limited. Before I write a seller I want to make sure that the code is really redesigned.

Yes your QR codes are altered.

9/10 Alibaba sellers are selling grade B with altered QR codes, in fact they have always sold grade B its now just harder to do because the manufacturer is putting a B on the qr code, so they have to SAND it and re-laser it to scam.

Some threads you can research:

so the vast majority of the market is grade B, there are a few places that sell grade A but expect to pay 175.00 - 190.00 / cell shipped to most countries.

Yes your QR codes are altered.

9/10 Alibaba sellers are selling grade B with altered QR codes, in fact they have always sold grade B its now just harder to do because the manufacturer is putting a B on the qr code, so they have to SAND it and re-laser it to scam.

Some
Thank you, Photon Sorcerer. I suspected it, but I feared the worst! Do you think you can count on a long term of work (number of cycles) of these batteries, like in grade A?

Hello, what is the other round thing on the cell? The seller says it is hole used by manufacturer for injection.
I have doubts about the qr as well.

Attachments

• 20230605_154339.jpg
    20230605_154339.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230605_154116.jpg
    20230605_154116.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 18
Hello, what is the other round thing on the cell? The seller says it is hole used by manufacturer for injection.
I have doubts about the qr as well.
They are not lying about the hole. During the assembly process the cell windings are inserted and secured by welding the top plate of the cell on. Then they fill the cell with the electrolyte via that small hole. After filling it is welded shut with a plug. Cant say on the qr yet with the pictures provided.

Back