diy solar

diy solar

Felicity Solar batteries

I recently got 2 batteries from Felicity Solar advertised as 48v 200Ah (10kwh), model LPBF48200-S. They arrived functional but one of them had damage on the case (i opened it up and checked battery terminals and were "ok" and cells were CATL and looked pristine with welded busbars connections). I connected one of the 48v batteries to my growatt inverter, model SPF 3000 TL LVM-ES. Charged them up to 56V inverter reading with solar and I could not get inverter to read a stable 57.6V max as stated in the manual, but oh well it would not hurt. I connected a small fridge load (about 80 watt average), turned off the PV input, and measured consumption with a killawatt meter as a capacity test (i have no shunt). After about 60 hours the battert SOC lights were blinking red, meaning <10% SOC according to the user guide. The killawatt meter read only 5kwh. The growatt inverter app (shine phone app) was reading a total discharge of 6.4kwh at this point, maybe adding the inverter self consumtion to the 5kwh discharge from the fridge(?). So a 6.4kwh discharge should be about 36% SOC of a 10kwh battery, not <10%SOC. Thats my experience so far.

Any idea what could be going on here? I thought maybe the cells are not properly balanced inside or they falsely advertised it as a 200ah pack, when it may be 150AH...
Hello everyone, my first post here and came across this page by searching felicity solar. Im ordering 4pcs 48v-200ah which will be shipped out after the chinese new year.

My comment on the above capacity test is maybe the small load reduced the efficiency of the inverter, say 70 or 80% so for every 1000watts drawn from the battery, only 700watts were actually converted to AC.

I came across another blogger who tested the capacity of the felicity:

Hopefully, when mine gets here, I will be able to test the capacity of the 4 battery banks. :)

Hello everyone, my first post here and came across this page by searching felicity solar. Im ordering 4pcs 48v-200ah which will be shipped out after the chinese new year.

My comment on the above capacity test is maybe the small load reduced the efficiency of the inverter, say 70 or 80% so for every 1000watts drawn from the battery, only 700watts were actually converted to AC.

I came across another blogger who tested the capacity of the felicity:

Hopefully, when mine gets here, I will be able to test the capacity of the 4 battery banks. :)
I later did another capacity test with a victron smart shunt, so it accounted for the inverter consumption, and confirmed mine are ~8.8kwh battery packs, not 10kwh. I checked the cells inside and found the data sheet on them:

https://5.imimg.com/data5/MF/YJ/SO/SELLER-105822417/prismatic-lithium-ion-battery-cell.pdf.

Each of the 32 CATLD cells (2p16s) cell on the packs I got are 3.2 V nominal 85ah (275kwh each). If the cells would be 100ah each then we are talking about a 10kwh pack. But those were just mine, I'm sure they build other packs of the same model with different cells. The units I got had several issues and one of them got a bad bms and temperature sensors so I had fun opening the pack and finding out the truth. Still a great deal in my opinion and I'm happy for my ~17kwh for $5000 USD after so many headaches, not much choice... The company seems to provide good customer support and sent me replacement parts with no charges, but I had to stand my ground.

I hope yours arrive safe and sound

I later did another capacity test with a victron smart shunt, so it accounted for the inverter consumption, and confirmed mine are ~8.8kwh battery packs, not 10kwh. I checked the cells inside and found the data sheet on them:

https://5.imimg.com/data5/MF/YJ/SO/SELLER-105822417/prismatic-lithium-ion-battery-cell.pdf.

Each of the 32 CATLD cells (2p16s) cell on the packs I got are 3.2 V nominal 85ah (275kwh each). If the cells would be 100ah each then we are talking about a 10kwh pack. But those were just mine, I'm sure they build other packs of the same model with different cells. The units I got had several issues and one of them got a bad bms and temperature sensors so I had fun opening the pack and finding out the truth. Still a great deal in my opinion and I'm happy for my ~17kwh for $5000 USD after so many headaches, not much choice... The company seems to provide good customer support and sent me replacement parts with no charges, but I had to stand my ground.

I hope yours arrive safe and sound
Oh, that's not good, with 8.8kwh only instead of 10.0kwh that you paid.

Did they refund you the equivalent amount? I think they also have a 170ah version of the 48v powerwall.

A month ago, through the Alibaba site, they told me the the 150ah battery had grade B cells. The 170ah had grade A cells. We didn't discuss the 200ah. I wanted to order a couple for testing but never got around to it. I'll have to look closer at the Felicity battery again. I missed this part, did you order from the U.S. website or through Alibaba? But whether grade A or B, if you only have 170ah's, you only have 170 ah's. Yep, I'm a master of the obvious. :rolleyes:

Oh, that's not good, with 8.8kwh only instead of 10.0kwh that you paid.

Did they refund you the equivalent amount? I think they also have a 170ah version of the 48v powerwall.
No refund. They sent me the replacement part to fix one of the batteries that did not work. They tried to convince me that the pack was 10kwh if I charged all the way to 59V, which is not safe and the bms will not allow to go so high anyways. But apart from lack of honesty, for me 170ah was a good deal for the price I paid anyways.

A month ago, through the Alibaba site, they told me the the 150ah battery had grade B cells. The 170ah had grade A cells. We didn't discuss the 200ah. I wanted to order a couple for testing but never got around to it. I'll have to look closer at the Felicity battery again. I missed this part, did you order from the U.S. website or through Alibaba? But whether grade A or B, if you only have 170ah's, you only have 170 ah's. Yep, I'm a master of the obvious. :rolleyes:
I ordered through Alibaba. They said the batteries are grade A. And for what I saw when I opened the pack, they look pretty clean and new, but who knows. I posted pictures of the cells in my packs in a previous message.

I asked them about the cells and the LPBF are grade B cells while the LPBA series are grade A. I was quoted $1400 shipped to Philippines already for the 48/200 so it was a good deal really. But this is a pass for me. I am already using a grade B battery here so no need to add more.

I asked them about the cells and the LPBF are grade B cells while the LPBA series are grade A. I was quoted $1400 shipped to Philippines already for the 48/200 so it was a good deal really. But this is a pass for me. I am already using a grade B battery here so no need to add more.
Good info. I do remember the 48v/200ah seemed a good price. I'm in the process of building a set from raw cells but might have to order a few of the 200ah's for fun. I'll be keeping up with the progress of everyone using the Felicity battery sets. Look forward to hearing about your experience going forward.

They sent me the replacement part to fix one of the batteries that did not work. They tried to convince me that the pack was 10kwh if I charged all the way to 59V
I like the first part, they sent replacement parts. The second part about convincing you the pack was 10kWH, hmm, interesting. Regardless, still sounds like a fine deal for a built pack. This is all good info.

Regardless of price. The battery should be as stated. The OP stated 2 were similar, and not as Felicity stated. If they are actually delivering that what they claim for the price that is great. If they are smudging and over stating that is bad. Period. Is there a brand name attached to the BMS?
I'm looking for batteries, but not free service work per say.

The OP should be getting at least a partial refund.

Regardless of price. The battery should be as stated. The OP stated 2 were similar, and not as Felicity stated. If they are actually delivering that what they claim for the price that is great. If they are smudging and over stating that is bad. Period. Is there a brand name attached to the BMS?
I'm looking for batteries, but not free service work per say.

The OP should be getting at least a partial refund.
Agree. The BMS had no brand name, just some code numbers. They are sending another BMS kuz the replacement they sent has the battery stuck in power-on mode (its supposed to communicate with a on/off switch). Also, SOC light indicator is super off. I rely on the Victron Smart shunt data. So all in all, yes you are right. An engineer from Felicity Solar is comming to Puerto Rico and they gave me his number so he comes pay a visit for inspecting the issue. They are increasing the price of their batteries 5% in April due to raw material price rise.

Agree. The BMS had no brand name, just some code numbers. They are sending another BMS kuz the replacement they sent has the battery stuck in power-on mode (its supposed to communicate with a on/off switch). Also, SOC light indicator is super off. I rely on the Victron Smart shunt data. So all in all, yes you are right. An engineer from Felicity Solar is comming to Puerto Rico and they gave me his number so he comes pay a visit for inspecting the issue. They are increasing the price of their batteries 5% in April due to raw material price rise.
Even if they decreased 5%. Your time is worth money for something like this, not to mention the hassle and inconvenience. I would press them for the BMS manufacturer name, and a refund based on capacity, and quality. BMS #3 and how long have you owned it?
A bit different in Puerto Rico, but up here it could be the difference between heat and no heat, with frozen water lines bursting, among other nasty things in the middle of winter at very low freezing temps.

Let us know how things turn out after the rep visit.

1) The shortfalls in capacity where related to the actual capacity of the battery I got. I opened the case an checked the cells. They are CATL FFH3D3 cells with readings of 3.2v 275Wh on the QR code sticker. The whole banks is 48v 16S, but made of 16 pairs of these cells for a total of 32 cells. So... if my math is correct, this would give me 86Ah cells, so 172ah pairs, 16 of those pairs in series for a total capacity of 51.2V nomial at 172Ah = 8.8Kwh. They sold the battery as 10kwh. Cecilia explained to me that this is because when fully charged, supposely at 59V, you reach the 10kwh advertised. I dont think that is fair and have not been able to charge for more than 56V without the BMS shutting off the battery. Even the user guide that came with the battery states a max. charge voltage of 57.6V. So I settled with a bulk charge and float voltage of 54V to chill out and hopefully avoid cell bloating and long term issues.

I was offered by my importer some Felicity batteries a few days ago then I came across this article.
So I forwarded this article to them for comments - a chance to explain/redeem themselves.

Felicity sales rep argued that cells degrade so this is why it is only 2x85AH instead of 2x100AH...
I told my importer: "the sticker was clearly marked 275Wh and not 320Wh. Right now, you are offering me a 15KWh battery packs; how can I be guaranteed I will get 15KWh and not 10KWh?"

Am I missing something here?

I was offered by my importer some Felicity batteries a few days ago then I came across this article.
So I forwarded this article to them for comments - a chance to explain/redeem themselves.

Felicity sales rep argued that cells degrade so this is why it is only 2x85AH instead of 2x100AH...
I told my importer: "the sticker was clearly marked 275Wh and not 320Wh. Right now, you are offering me a 15KWh battery packs; how can I be guaranteed I will get 15KWh and not 10KWh?"

Am I missing something here?
I think you are asking the right question. They might have a lot of variability in cells used for different packs. Edgardo Barreto from PR reported in this thread good capacity test results with the pack he got for almost double the price of mine. Make them send you pictures of the cells they use in the pack they will ship to you. Ask if the packs will be shipped in wooden or cardboard boxes. Mine were shipped in cardboard and arrived with damage in the case and bent busbars inside the pack. I don't know how they risk their whole product by shipping 250-pound battery packs in a cardboard box in a consolidated container across the globe... I was willing to pay more for shipping, but there was no option. I would not buy again from them, even though I got a great price for the capacity I got and they have been responsive and willing to help. But too much hassle and risk. I feel lucky the batteries are working, but spending thousands of dollars on lifepo4 batteries should not be a matter of luck. What if the bent busbar had broken the cell terminals, or cause excessive heat, because of poor shipping and handling?

Make sure you do everything you can to know what you are getting and Good luck!

I asked for cell photos. I asked for what specific cells to be installed. complete details of the product.
My importer forwarded the quote from Felicity today but no photos. no detail. just the product name and price.
I was assured the items will be packed in wooden crates though and to arrive in a Manila warehouse; shipment only after full payment.
NO ETA too.

Their 300AH pack was cheaper than EVE 280K cells, +BMS, + case. But for whatever reason they could not provide photos. Maybe we were talking to the wrong Felicity sales rep; I am not sure if cris was his name. I dig around for more Felicity reviews; a certain Texan bought some and said to contact Jason. But I already lost interest after thinking why oh why they wont show photos.

I had considered the Felicity batteries but read some things I didn't like. Then someone sent me a PM, and I'm sure it was a troll here. He/She was touting the batteries, and said he/she bought a bunch and they were great. When I asked what inverters were used, The response was one brand then a pic sent of another brand. The pics looked a lot like what you see on the various china based web sites. I'm trusting my gut, on these batteries. Hopefully for those that buy, I am wrong.

I found that Felicity has been with Alibaba since 2010ish, far earlier than the many reputable sellers.

Does that translate to their reputation?

Nonetheless, I already decided against Felicity's offer. No info is not something I am willing to go for.

I have ordered 2 sets 15kw battery banks from Felicity Solar, new model. Will update when they arrive on battery BMS...Cell arraignment and other things that are catching my eye.
Second picture is from the factory when I visited them. They are

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220531-151507_Alibabacom.jpg
    Screenshot_20220531-151507_Alibabacom.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 1411585073 (2).png
    1411585073 (2).png
    157.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Back