diy solar

diy solar

Finally found a LiFePO4 BMS with Low-temp Charging Protection

How many amps at 48v do you need to run continuously?
Sorry I am just finding your reply now. Could you paraphrase your question? Are you asking what the motor draws? If so, it draws 2500W max but much much less at slower speeds which is my intention. This usage chart is from so1588705431271.pngmeone else with this motor and a 29 foot sailboat.

Attachments

• LiFePO4 installation, 2012.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
Sorry again. The 2500 W is approximately 52A and the sum of other consumers on my boat (radio, depth indicator, old chart plotter, navigation lights) is about another 50 W. So I was planning on a max of 100A.
The biggest BMS I can get in 48v is 60a and I don't like the looks of it. I am still waiting for samples of the 24v 100a model, which you could use to make 2 24v packs in series for 48v.

My 120a BMS could also be used to make 4 12v packs, and run those in series.

I am still on the lookout for a DIY friendly 48v BMS. Might have to design it myself.

The biggest BMS I can get in 48v is 60a and I don't like the looks of it. I am still waiting for samples of the 24v 100a model, which you could use to make 2 24v packs in series for 48v.

I am still on the lookout for a DIY friendly 48v BMS. Might have to design it myself.
I found this after watching some YT videos where someone used it. Was just curiosity on my part.
Don't know what kind of wholesale price you could get them at.
It might be worth it to you, to get one, just to check it out.
I save it on my eBay watch list for when someone is looking for a Tesla/Leaf BMS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Energus-Ti...var=492973657010&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

If I used multiple 12V packs in series how would the BMS interact with the Android App?
Would I need to run four differently named copies of the same app or can the bluetooth connection pick which pack to look at and therefore control?

I found this after watching some YT videos where someone used it. Was just curiosity on my part.
Don't know what kind of wholesale price you could get them at.
It might be worth it to you, to get one, just to check it out.
I save it on my eBay watch list for when someone is looking for a Tesla/Leaf BMS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Energus-Tiny-BMS-s516-4-16S-Tesla-Leaf-powerwall-EV-PC-programmable-Lithium-BMS/192840015542?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=492973657010&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Thanks for the reply. I actually have a 48V 16s BMS which I obtained a few years ago but it isn't working properly and it doesn't have low temp protection so I have to remove the cells over the winter to protect them or disconnect the solar panel which is my charging source.
That BMS was sold as HousePower BMS by CleanPowerAuto. I think they were sold to another company.
I was a total newbie when I started what looked like a fairly simple project to repower my sailboat and knew zilch about electrical stuff. I've learned so much but still a newbie so my apologies to all for asking 'dumb' questions. I frequently refer to the Wiki page of acronyms but don't find all terms there like "DROK" or whatever it was in one of the posts.
Thanks to you and OverkillSolar and anyone else who has replied to my questions.

If I used multiple 12V packs in series how would the BMS interact with the Android App?
Would I need to run four differently named copies of the same app or can the bluetooth connection pick which pack to look at and therefore control?
You pick from one of all in-range BT modules to look at. Any changes you want to make would be repeated for all 4 units.

Thanks for the reply. I actually have a 48V 16s BMS which I obtained a few years ago but it isn't working properly and it doesn't have low temp protection so I have to remove the cells over the winter to protect them or disconnect the solar panel which is my charging source.
That BMS was sold as HousePower BMS by CleanPowerAuto. I think they were sold to another company.
I was a total newbie when I started what looked like a fairly simple project to repower my sailboat and knew zilch about electrical stuff. I've learned so much but still a newbie so my apologies to all for asking 'dumb' questions. I frequently refer to the Wiki page of acronyms but don't find all terms there like "DROK" or whatever it was in one of the posts.
Thanks to you and OverkillSolar and anyone else who has replied to my questions.
Some of them are acronyms and some are Brand Names. Drok is in the latter category.
If someone feels your question is dumb, they can scroll right past it.
Sometimes you might get tired of the same question over and over, when the answer is right there.
But then the search feature isn't that good. You can put a question in Google along with diysolarforum as a search parameter, too.

But, sometimes our answers are like trying to lead a horse to water, and they won't drink it.
Had one like that a while back, it took a bunch of back and forth, before the light bulb turned on for them.
Once it finally clicked, all was good. Plus someone else reading the exchange, might find their answer without asking it.

You pick from one of all in-range BT modules to look at. Any changes you want to make would be repeated for all 4 units.
Thank you. I am currently struggling to arrange my cells in a newly identified space on the boat. The space is triangular, deep in a stern storage well accessible (barely) from the cabin. That stern storage has a well sealed overhead hatch also. Configuring 48V in a triangular space may be very tricky.:unsure:
Can you tell me how to edit my reply after I have posted it. The attachment that I inserted in my response to you was not what I intended, don't even know where it came from. The graph was fine and my intention was to attach that graph but I attached some ?? other link.

If you're running multiple BMSs, it might help to label each battery with it's Bluetooth name.
Doe the Bluetooth ID stay the same, it you turn the BMS off and back on?
If so, then connect them, to their battery, 1 at a time and write down the BT ID for it.

Thank you. I am currently struggling to arrange my cells in a newly identified space on the boat. The space is triangular, deep in a stern storage well accessible (barely) from the cabin. That stern storage has a well sealed overhead hatch also. Configuring 48V in a triangular space may be very tricky.:unsure:
Can you tell me how to edit my reply after I have posted it. The attachment that I inserted in my response to you was not what I intended, don't even know where it came from. The graph was fine and my intention was to attach that graph but I attached some ?? other link.
Under your post to the left should be a Report button, then a Edit button. The Edit function only works for a limited time and I'm not sure how long it remains.

ETA: the battery in your storage space, you might need to use some cables of the proper AWG, instead of bus bars for some of them. That way they don't have to all be in a line.

Some of them are acronyms and some are Brand Names. Drok is in the latter category.
If someone feels your question is dumb, they can scroll right past it.
Sometimes you might get tired of the same question over and over, when the answer is right there.
But then the search feature isn't that good. You can put a question in Google along with diysolarforum as a search parameter, too.

But, sometimes our answers are like trying to lead a horse to water, and they won't drink it.
Had one like that a while back, it took a bunch of back and forth, before the light bulb turned on for them.
Once it finally clicked, all was good. Plus someone else reading the exchange, might find their answer without asking it.
:)
Thanks for helping me.
I read the horse to water exchange. Funny in its way but I understand. Very hard to find errors in one's own code.

Agreed, search feature isn't great but never thought of using Google plus 'diysolarforum'. Will experiment with that.

Time to get off the machine and go for a walk!

You could use Cat 5 or 6 cable to connect the BMS from one group to another. That way the wires are in a protective sheath between the groups. You could even install jacks at each group and make the whole thing plug and play between the groups.

Th
If you're running multiple BMSs, it might help to label each battery with it's Bluetooth name.
Doe the Bluetooth ID stay the same, it you turn the BMS off and back on?
If so, then connect them, to their battery, 1 at a time and write down the BT ID for it.
Names stick with the phone. Each BT has a unique MAC address that the phone/tablet remembers.

Th

Names stick with the phone. Each BT has a unique MAC address that the phone/tablet remembers.
I was wondering about that. Never had multiple Bluetooth devices from the same Company and Type.
I have replaced a headset that broke with an updated model of the same thing.
But had deleted the broken one, by the time I got the new one.

I know having the same set of headphones connected to my tablet and phone causes problems when they both try to auto-connect at the same time. Or to my GF's and my phones and both are present.

I was wondering about that. Never had multiple Bluetooth devices from the same Company and Type.
I have replaced a headset that broke with an updated model of the same thing.
But had deleted the broken one, by the time I got the new one.

I know having the same set of headphones connected to my tablet and phone causes problems when they both try to auto-connect at the same time. Or to my GF's and my phones and both are present.
well, these don't pair with the phone, I don't think they operate on quite the normal protocol.

But I could be wrong, its happened before.

well, these don't pair with the phone, I don't think they operate on quite the normal protocol.

But I could be wrong, its happened before.
LOL Can't say I was ever really lost, but I have been a might bewildered at times.....

@OverkillSolar and @Sgt Raven As far as multiple bluetooth BMS names go, I found that the name seems to be attached to the bluetooth module itself. I was programming a number of BMS units for the same parameters and, for simplicity's sake, used the same BT module I had handy on my bench, assuming that the BMS name would be associated with the BMS itself. Apparently it is not.

If you name one BMS 'BMS1' and another 'BMS2', then remove the bluetooth module from 'BMS1' and plug it into 'BMS2', this BMS will read as 'BMS1' in the app. So... best not to mix your BT modules between BMS units.

NTC missing!
I ordered a Smart BMS 4S LiFePo4 150Amp with temp. protection from ICGOGOGO.
Unforunately the kit parts came without temp. sensor (NTC) and couldn't get the supplier to send me the missing part.
Does anybody know the spec. data of the NTC incl. two terminal connector and tell me the best way to get this item?
-thanks-

Back