diy solar

diy solar

Forum improvements ideas

gedaop

1. Add "Solar Appliances" section where people can talk about 12v fridges, 12v air conditioners and such.
2. Add "Biogas" entry in "Other Renewable Energy Sources" section.
3. Add a top band on the homepage, with a list of last few newest threads.

I would certainly endorse the addition of a "Solar Appliances" and 12/24v appliances. Given that the title of the forum is "DIY Solar Power Forum" I'm not enthusiastic about "other renewable..." I find it time consuming enough just to deal with the former.

Add a top band on the homepage, with a list of last few newest threads.

There is the new posts section, new threads would also show up there - not sufficient?

I don't know if we ever had a lot of discussion regarding biogas, or indeed, other renewable sources in the first place. It is a mostly solar focused forum.

Regarding the 12V appliances, don't they fit in "Solar Systems", especially since they tend to be often RV specific, but that's just my opinion. Maybe 'DC appliances' or something? I don't know.

@Will Prowse - see if it makes sense to add them?

Reactions: Dzl
EV charging could do with its own section I think. It's gonna be huge and with bidirectional power flow...

While this site focuses on the DIY side of things, there is a boatload of stuff missed totally.
Product / Manufacturer Lists: IE Inverters / Solar Charge Controllers, Commercial Power Blocks (powerwalls etc), EV-Charging section (Quickly Growing Demand for that)

Also: There is no LIST of Solar Panel Makers and links to them. NO Comparisons or Evaluations. Nothing about what panels are better in shade vs pure sun. Many people ASSUME that all panels are the same, THEY ARE NOT ! Some work better in shade than others, some perform better in cold while others are better in heat.

I posted THIS information elsewhere to answer many of the above.... Sadly, the sources are from elsewhere as well. BUT maybe worth looking at and seeing if this info could / should be available from here.

Most Efficient Solar Panels 2021 July 18, 2021
https://www.cleanenergyreviews.info/blog/most-efficient-solar-panels

Comprehensive Guide to Solar Panel Types - January 15, 2021
https://www.aurorasolar.com/blog/solar-panel-types-guide/

Another good overview (covers a few more details too) https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2015/09/types-of-solar-panels

Which solar panels work best in the shade?
Last updated: July 25, 2019

https://www.thesolarnerd.com/blog/which-solar-panels-work-best-in-shade/

Solar Battery comparison charts
The detailed battery comparison tables are separated into the following three main types of energy storage systems primarily used for on-grid and off-grid solar and backup power applications - learn more about battery storage here:
* AC-Coupled battery systems
* DC-coupled battery systems
* Off-grid battery systems

NOTE:
There are several offerings for different configurations. A Large Majority have the ability to interact with Solar Charge Controllers, Inverters & AIO's (All In One Solar Units) but you must check for your specific equipment to see if they are compatible.
https://www.cleanenergyreviews.info/battery-storage-comparison-chart

Hey, thanks for the recommendations and feedback, its appreciated and nice to see new users thinking like this. My 2c (as someone who does not have authority over such things), there are already a ton of subforums, too many probably. In my eyes there should be a high bar of necessity/usefulness when adding new subs. Some thoughts on the specifics.

1. Add "Solar Appliances" section where people can talk about 12v fridges, 12v air conditioners and such.
Regarding the 12V appliances, don't they fit in "Solar Systems"
So as it stands right now, most discussion of appliances/devices or special considerations to a certain use case happen in the subforum that corresponds to that use case (as well as the general subforums). These subs are in what @upnorthandpersonal referred to as "Solar Systems" (which is not a sub but group of subs). A few examples, (A) Vehicle Mounted Systems, (B) Marine (C) Off Grid Living Advice (D) Cabin or Tiny Home.

There are pros and cons to this versus a sub specifically for Solar DC appliances. The obvious pro of your recommendation is that discussion will be consolidated in one place. The pro of the status quo, is that discussion happens within the context of the type of build, there is a lot of overlap between Mobile systems, and Marine systems, and to an extent off-grid cabins/homes, but there are also context specific things that people from one community dont understand, or aren't aware of. Keeping the discussion in individual subs fragments it a bit, but it also keeps the conversation more relevant to a given use-case.

As an example: One of the recurring arguments that occurs when someone asks about DC appliances on this forum, is the people (mostly vehicle/marine folks) desiring max efficiency (power and space) DC devices which often have a hefty price premium, and the fixed structure folks (home, cabin, etc) talk past each other because the fixed structure folks often see DC appliances as a big waste of money for a small gain, and argue the price premium you pay could easily go towards just buying more panels/battery--Which is true, if you have space to just add more panels and/or battery storage, but for the vehicle/marine crowd, 'just add another panel' is usually not an option.

A personal side note, I don't love the term 'solar appliances' on some of the less technical forums I'm on, there is a lot of confusion with system design that stems from people calling anything on the DC side "solar xyz" (Solar batteries, Solar air conditioner, Solar fridge, etc). Most of these things are just DC devices, or regular ole' batteries, occasionally there is something specifically designed around and optimized for solar, but this is more the exception than the rule in my eyes.

I don't know if we ever had a lot of discussion regarding biogas, or indeed, other renewable sources in the first place. It is a mostly solar focused forum.progress
I took a peak at the 'other renewables' section (don't think I've ever looked there before). There are only wind and hydro subs, and no general sub. I think that going the other direction might be a better idea. Instead of adding a new section for biogas, consolidating all 'other renewables' into a single sub might be a better idea. You would have a place to discuss biogas, and we wouldn't have to create new subs for each renewable. I for one, would be interested in learning about the applications of biogas, I'm not familiar with it.

There are a couple pre-existing features similar to this already. As @upnorthandpersonal mentioned, the ~5 newest posts are visible in the sidebar. You can also click the 'What's Wew' link in the topbar, or the 'New Posts' link in the drop down below 'What's New'

The evolution of this site is obvious. When I 1st joined way back when and there wasn't that many of us, things in many ways were simpler. Will coming from a Vanlife - RV to finally residential world started the footing on Mobile & Small to larger systems but along the way things just sat by the wayside. We all know that RE Tech is changing and faster all the time. You know what I am talking about, you've seen it too 1st hand over the past few short years. in 2014 I did not imagine 800W Panels ! Lithium was Way Out there and total Unobtainium for the regular folks.

The WIKI could be used for something like Lists of Companies/Manufacturers with links to the company & product line.
But a section on EV-Charging is certainly not out of place here... and really we need to see ALL of it, not just for one brand of EV or Charger system.

One click at the top of mobile version drop down menu and you get to select the newest threads you want AND the bell-button on the right takes you there

Keep it clean and simple is my vote. This version works like stuff did 25 years ago- quick, easily navigated, very low click count to navigate.

Reactions: Dzl
1. Use case based taxonomy noted.

2. Gist on biogas:
- you make an artificial stomach in a container (say, a barrel)
- use a starter sludge (say, cow dung) with methanogenic bacteria (bacteria that farts methane)
- feed it with biomass (say, food waste) via a inlet pipe (the mouth) from time to time (say, daily)
- collect liquid fertilizer from an outlet pipe (the pee-pee)
- collect methane gas from another outlet pipe (the farting butt) - this you use for cooking or to power electric plant
- clean the solid sludge (the poo) accumulated at various intervals (months or years)

A few decent youtube videos in the sea of noise:
a. DIY build example
b. Common designs
c. Example use.

3. Sidebar "Latest posts" is great, but it's probably good to have it up top in the sidebar.

2. Gist on biogas:
- you make an artificial stomach in a container (say, a barrel)
- use a starter sludge (say, cow dung) with methanogenic bacteria (bacteria that farts methane)
- feed it with biomass (say, food waste) via a inlet pipe (the mouth) from time to time (say, daily)
- collect liquid fertilizer from an outlet pipe (the pee-pee)
- collect methane gas from another outlet pipe (the farting butt) - this you use for cooking or to power electric plant
- clean the solid sludge (the poo) accumulated at various intervals (months or years)
If you have a link to an active forum devoted to this, might help.

When I think Biogas, I think cooking oils.

Back