diy solar

diy solar

Sad seeing 148 unanswered threads in last month

This!

Crazy to think I made this almost 14 years ago in a past life and forum addiction, and it's still alive. https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/diy-how-to-use-the-search-feature.4853512/
Dieseldog12 over on the ‘Tex, at first I avoided it and was strictly a TDIClub poster ever since I got my 2010 Jetta CRD. We still have a Passat diesel and a gasser Golf so I still frequent both.

Before that, my roots go way back to beginning Aughts on MacNN when I first got a dual 500mhz G4 power Mac, handle was G4ME, some thought it was early leet speak for game, but more of G4 ME as I grew up in Maine and I worked all summer my sophomore year of high school to plunk down +3k for that computer special order as no place but university stores carried Mac (back when apple was apple and running Motorola silicon).

Dieseldog12 over on the ‘Tex, at first I avoided it and was strictly a TDIClub poster ever since I got my 2010 Jetta CRD. We still have a Passat diesel and a gasser Golf so I still frequent both.

Before that, my roots go way back to beginning Aughts on MacNN when I first got a dual 500mhz G4 power Mac, handle was G4ME, some thought it was early leet speak for game, but more of G4 ME as I grew up in Maine and I worked all summer my sophomore year of high school to plunk down +3k for that computer special order as no place but university stores carried Mac (back when apple was apple and running Motorola silicon).
Some day I'll find a diamond in the rough mkii or mkiv TDI, I need the get the 337 road worthy again first.
The first family computer was a windows 95... I built a few in the times of XP, the good old days.

Back to the alerts and unanswered threads lol

Just asking that the informational leaders here on diysolarforums do not respond with fluff to a fluffy thread. More than a few of us will read anything anywhere written by you all. Bumping, yes. Just trying to not have any unanswered threads by posting something polite yet empty wastes our time.

I only see them once.
If I'm not going to reply, I'll usually hit "ignore" , while I have it open.

I don't even have to ignore them. Since my filter includes "unread", once I've opened it, I don't ever see it again. If I can exclude them by subject line alone, I hit Mark forums read, and they fall into the not unread category, and they never come up again:

1707273694832.png

1) They want to be spoon fed a direct answers for a lot of various questions that they could easily lookup, but are unwilling to do so.
As a high school teacher for 26+ years (4 of those years in middle school), I have found this thread particularly amusing. People on forums not searching for answers are about the same as kids asking a question I JUST answered. LOL. I have looked at the unanswered posts...but I am a NOOB...so haven't been able too help much. In fact, when I get help from you all, I feel obligated to at least try to look to help somebody else, ...thanks for the reminder to do so again.

In the classroom, one of the things I have to do to keep my sanity is add students commonly asked questions to the FAQ...and, when a student asks a question that I have just answered, or answered repeatedly, I make them go look up the answer in the FAQ.

Now, trying to get them to use the FAQ...BEFORE they ask for help...that is a different challenge.

Last edited:
I usually get banished to the "asked questions, don't answer them" Pile because I don't know that much.

But IF it is a subject that interests me (say Not an RV installation) and I don't know a lot about it, I usually ask the OP some clarifying questions on unaswered threads in hopes of getting the ball Rolling for the OP, and hopefully get it back to the top of their pile so one of the brain trusts will see it and fill in the gaps.

Last edited:
(Goes to unanswered thread section only to find about 900 unaswered spams about Trust Wallet ... 🙄 Grrr)

Report, Report, Report

In my experience, a big problem is that if you include enough info/background in an initial post to allow a question to be answered, it doesn't get many (if any) replies. Probably wouldn't have happened even 10 years ago in most "bulletin board" type forums, but the evil that is social media has trained humans to be an inch deep and miles wide. I'm learning that it's better to post a snippet and then be told, "we need more information". Trying to provide the info upfront results in no replies.

In my experience, a big problem is that if you include enough info/background in an initial post to allow a question to be answered, it doesn't get many (if any) replies. Probably wouldn't have happened even 10 years ago in most "bulletin board" type forums, but the evil that is social media has trained humans to be an inch deep and miles wide. I'm learning that it's better to post a snippet and then be told, "we need more information". Trying to provide the info upfront results in no replies.
I’m encouraged to help if the poster keeps it brief and does some “virtue signaling” that appeals to me.

EG willing to spam photos and diagrams, has a (*) STEM background capable of taking the info and making a complete system out of it; (*) good technical communications experience, (*) consistent system design and regulatory compliance philosophy to mine; cooperative

Though I do feel somewhat bad sometimes that the points I marked with (*) is gatekeeping too much… but I’m also doing this in my spare time and it is a lot of work to mentor/guide someone without that.

One thing missing in this forum is a "sticky" mechanism? Currently, good FAQ answers fall to the bottom, never to be seen again ...

For each category, one or more sticky posts answering the basics might head off many repetitive posts, for those that are search-challenged ...

Back