diy solar

diy solar

Golf Cart Project

pilotguy12

Hi! I am looking to buy an older golf cart and overhaul it. Has anyone done this? I am looking for some guidance on the best way to go about this. Id love to mount a solar panel on top so it charges on it own, as well as make it a little faster. Thanks!

What's the cart's voltage, and battery size? Would be fun to make a "solar" roof for it so you could drive in the shade. When doing the math to decide how much solar you need, multiply/divide all the specifications by 60%, because that's about the max output you can expect from panels laying flat.

What's the cart's voltage, and battery size? Would be fun to make a "solar" roof for it so you could drive in the shade. When doing the math to decide how much solar you need, multiply/divide all the specifications by 60%, because that's about the max output you can expect from panels laying flat.
Hey Michael! I haven’t purchased the cart yet. Ideally I’d like something older that I can fix up and put LED lights in as well for headlights and taillights.

Usually, the battery bank in golf cart contains 3-5 of 12v batteries, so it'll be 36v, 48v or 60v. In that case, if you want to build a solar kit on cart's roof, you'll need to find a step-up solar charge controller for the charging, since mainly solar panels in the market are 12v products. You can type keywords like boost charge controller on Amazon. Or also, there are some ready-made solar kit for golf cart, you can check on google or Amazon, with keyword like this: Solar Panel Kit for Golf Cart

Hope you'll find something you need

Back