diy solar

diy solar

Got Tractor?

Gotta be able to refuel in the field. I swear I think tractors will always be or should always be diesel. Do tractors contibute to much of the harm to the air compared to everything else?
I agree they may be diesel for another 20 years or so. And I don’t see giant farm, mining, and excavation equipment running on batteries for quite some time unless there’s a couple quantum leaps in battery and charging technology.
But contribute harm yes Absolutely. They often run on high sulfer diesel and emit high particulate matter.

I have a 2003 New Holland TC45D 45hp 4wd tractor with supersteer and a 6' loader for my 50 acres. I mow about 15 acres of it using the tractor with a BushHog 3pt mower. My equipment also includes a small excavator, zero turn mowers, tow sprayer, and a 5000lb lift forklift as well as other items. I am amazed at how often I use the forklift for unloading trucks and moving things around. You really need to have the right equipment in order to easily maintain acreage properties.

Oh Snap.
And here I was considering this AI model.
Notice no operator needed… what could go wrong?
?

Attachments

• 5DE0A481-010A-41A6-9A54-685EED389CAC.jpeg
    5DE0A481-010A-41A6-9A54-685EED389CAC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I ended up selling my larger 2wd tractor with a loader and buying a small cheap excavator. It Broke a track within the first few hours of use. Luckily the place I purchased it from is sending me a new track for that side for free. I told them to send two and I would pay for the second.

In 98, my dad GAVE AWAY his entire farming equipment inventory including a Massey 6578 Perkins diesel with an ezloader rototiller and a ton of bailing equipment...
Didn't tell me until he'd sold our family farm... to go on a hunting trip...
60 acres in Lancaster SC, with a gold mine on it, a spring fed pond, pecan orchard,peach orchard, 6000sqft shop, with a full length back covered parking shed, and sooo much more.
130K...
And gave away the equipment in the sale...
Ouch….

In 98, my dad GAVE AWAY his entire farming equipment inventory including a Massey 6578 Perkins diesel with an ezloader rototiller and a ton of bailing equipment...
Didn't tell me until he'd sold our family farm... to go on a hunting trip...
60 acres in Lancaster SC, with a gold mine on it, a spring fed pond, pecan orchard,peach orchard, 6000sqft shop, with a full length back covered parking shed, and sooo much more.
130K...
And gave away the equipment in the sale...
You had a daddy? Must've been nice.... I complained I had no shoes till I saw the person with no feet. ;)

Got about 70 acres here (and growing) off-grid as that seems to be a modern buzz word anyone is trying to exploit whichever way they can to describe their situation and I realized a wheeled tractors wasn't enough. Have hydraulic quick connections on the back so anything a tractor can do this can do it too, just on larger scale. Also have a backhoe for those times such as for processing game animals and needing small tasks done.

D71.jpeg
D7.jpeg

First pole.jpeg

PXL_20210904_183320427.jpg
Kubota L2800 with a grapple on the front. I have only had the bucket on about three times since I built the grapple. It is far more useful this way. On the back you see my rig for discouraging lake weeds. It has a standard landscape rake at the end. The 3-point can barely lift it.

Just like chainsaws, you need multiples. We have an 8N and a Massey 65 with a loader.

We have a 2000 Deere 40hp farm tractor.

Don't buy anything new.. especially John Deere.. They are troublesome, have computers and a million "safety" switches which are actually "pay the dealer to fix it" devices.

I don't know anyone with 2013 or newer John Deere who hasn't had to take it to the dealer...

The older tractors are much better, built better, and last longer.
Years ago grandfather had 11 acres. He used two Farmall "B" tractors. One was a 1947 and other was a 1949. In the mid 70's when he passed everyone was fighting over them. Even tho they were nearly 30 years old each ran great. I know for a fact one of them still runs and is used most every week. I still remember driving them on his farm. Great reliable tractors you could work on if needed. I live in town now but wish I had one for myself.

My younger days.
Both have rope-start pony motor.
That's my neighbor's lot. Mine isn't so flat.
Couldn't keep them working well long enough to get much done.
I put a straight blade on the D6, but don't have the operating skill to cut a flat road with it. And things kept breaking.

D6 IMG_2196.jpg Cat 12 IMG_2195.jpg

Last edited:
Since this forum is living advice I would bring up tractor. It is good investment.

When figuring out what your going to do you might want to consider tractor. Wife and I bought 40 primitive acres. It is on a snow mobile trail above a lake and so on. Driveway is near 1500' of hardpack. Hardpack is a mixture of pea stone sized chunks of granite with a whole lot of stone dust from crushing operation. It packs nice for driveways up here in the Granite state. In any case - I am sure you have a similar recipe where you live.

Anyway, we bought a Kubota about the same time we bought the lot. It has been a very valuable tool that I wouldn't be able to get along without. It is a B3200 model with a 50" bucket and a Woods backhoe with thumb. The Woods unit was about 2x the one Kubota was selling. It is a little heavy and I wish I had a slightly bigger tractor. You don't want to be carting hardpack around with the bucket with the heavy backhoe on the other end. It puts too much stress on the frame and may cause cracks and other bad shit.

I use the thumb to pick up fallen timber when I make firewood or clearing a down tree across the driveway. It comes in handy for other shit too.

I have a york rake that I use to maintain the driveway. I also have a post hole digger that is a piece of shit. Stay away from them unless you have experience with them.

We had a major snow storm early last year and neither of my plow trucks were operational. I used that Kubota to clear near 30" of snow off my 1500' driveway. Took me all day, but we would have been snow bound without the Kubota. Kubota is 4WD and I have chains all around. They stay on all year round. They really bite good on almost anything.

If you run your car off the road a tractor can most often get it back on. I once moved an outhouse with it.

So there ya go. If you are that far off grid then a tractor may be what you need.
Kubota L3901 HST with LA525 loader.

Never realized how much I needed a tractor until I got one.

Years ago grandfather had 11 acres. He used two Farmall "B" tractors. One was a 1947 and other was a 1949. In the mid 70's when he passed everyone was fighting over them. Even tho they were nearly 30 years old each ran great. I know for a fact one of them still runs and is used most every week. I still remember driving them on his farm. Great reliable tractors you could work on if needed. I live in town now but wish I had one for myself.
Yeah.. the old man down the road from me has a tractor that looks like it was made just one or two models after they cut the horses loose and started using gasoline and diesel. There's a big flywheel on the side of it with a fat belt.. every time I see it I have to wonder how many people have lost their heads or hands with it. But it still runs and he still uses it.

I rebuilt a corn planter from the 1920's.. Found it in an old man's barn covered in racoon and bird crap and all rusted out. I spent a winter tearing the entire thing down, sandblasting, phosphating, priming, painting, and baking every part on it. Swapped out the old fashioned sleave bearings for newer pillow blocks, machined the wheels to take modern impregnated brass sleaves, and converted it to 3 point operation.. Now it works perfectly again and can plant acres of corn. It even had the fertilizer side dressers installed.

I think its a 1920's McCormmick.. originally set up to be pulled by a horse.

Attachments

• After.jpg
    After.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 10
Never realized how much I needed a tractor until I got one.
I bought a used 2X10 gang disc from a guy in the country about an hour from me. I brought my "little" Kubota L2800 to make sure I could pull it. After I tested it and was writing a check, I commented that I had finally figured out that anyone over the age of twenty really needs a tractor if he intends to get any real work done. He looked me in the eye and said, "yeah, up here that starts at about ten years old."

20201107_112114.jpg

I'm on a John Deere 350 or 130 and a 938 CAT loader depending on what we're doing/where I'm needed. Last thing I want to do is get on a tractor when I get home.

I'll admit. There are countless times I could have used them. Should have just bought one but now I'm just stubborn.

Adding a thumb to my backhoe, can't wait till I get that operational. Not going to be a fixed thumb, I will actually have hydraulic ram to actuate it as needed. The thumb came as a hydraulic kit but once I got the kit in it gave me a good laugh of what they sent for the hydraulic ram, going to use my own. So if you buy a Titan thumb kit, don't buy the hydraulic one unless you got a very small tractor. Will post pictures of the build later if anyone interested...

Back