diy solar

diy solar

Got Tractor?

I would think a small cylinder could move the thumb and lock it into place by means of a lever, strong enough for bucket to work against.
But a hefty cylinder would be the simpler design.

I would think a small cylinder could move the thumb and lock it into place by means of a lever, strong enough for bucket to work against.
But a hefty cylinder would be the simpler design.
Wouldn't want to bend the smaller cylinder with what the bucket cylinder can push against it even with a pressure relief, plus with bigger cylinder can pick up heavier objects and grab bigger loads than smaller cylinder.

I mean a mechanism similar to a load binder (but push not pull).
Then a small cylinder can work the lever to extend and lock thumb. Reaction from bucket would bear on the mechanical part, not on the small cylinder.

Another excuse to fabricate something and weld naked?

1652155033323.png

Of course, strong enough cylinder to bear the force and you can hold the thumb at any angle desired.

Surplus Sales of Nebraska commonly has hydraulic cylinders for sale relatively cheaply. I built my grapple around a 3"x 8" cylinder that I bought from them for $75. Lucky for me, I bought two. I just swapped them out when the wiper started to leak fluid, then rebuilt it at my leisure.

I mean a mechanism similar to a load binder (but push not pull).
Then a small cylinder can work the lever to extend and lock thumb. Reaction from bucket would bear on the mechanical part, not on the small cylinder.

Another excuse to fabricate something and weld naked?

View attachment 94085

Of course, strong enough cylinder to bear the force and you can hold the thumb at any angle desired.
Strong enough cylinder to bear the for and hold the thumb at any angle instead of getting off and locking for each angle you want to grab from. They do have those that are just of mechanical locking in certain position and that's it.
Believe me, I got plenty of stuff to weld naked on, this project is only 1/3 through here. Need to add two side wings on now...Pole Barn completed.jpegPole Barn completed angle.jpeg

Surplus Sales of Nebraska commonly has hydraulic cylinders for sale relatively cheaply. I built my grapple around a 3"x 8" cylinder that I bought from them for $75. Lucky for me, I bought two. I just swapped them out when the wiper started to leak fluid, then rebuilt it at my leisure.
I have two Ford 4500 backhoes, one for parts and that's where I got my cylinder from. Just had Discount Hydraulic custom make the lines, I bought a Prince valve from Surplus Center and will make a custom pedal control to run it.

anyone have recommendation of a current EV tractor?

40 horsepower is ~30,000W without losses

not trivial but still within reason fer DIY and even shop sold.

any suggestions?

anyone have recommendation of a current EV tractor?

40 horsepower is ~30,000W without losses

not trivial but still within reason fer DIY and even shop sold.

any suggestions?
I would probably build up several parallel smaller electric motors on one pump and control them in stages to keep pressure at about 2,300 PSI and then just run everything on fluid like HST tractors do. My 28 HP tractor is rated at 6.5 Gal/Min at 2,350 PSI. You could probably get decent results with a 1.2 Cu. In. displacement pump and 20 HP total of electric motors. You could run one larger pump with several motors on clutch drives, adding motors as the RPM drops below the rated input RPM at the pump shaft.

Heck, some of the bigger electric R/C motors are making 6 HP at high RPM. A little bit of gear design and several motors could get you 20 HP in a crazy small package. Then you just run all of them at the same time and let the speed controllers add current as the load increases.

According to the method of movement, there are two types of tractors: wheeled and tracked.
Yep, a bulldozer is just that a tractor till you add attachments since it can push or pull and do everything a tractor can do if outfitted right, same with track loaders.

One of the best deals out there if you are willing to do your own repairs are the government surplus Special Emplacement Excavators (SEE) otherwise known as FLU 419s. Its a wheeled loader with Case backhoe in the back. The US military had 3000 of them made by Mercedes based on their Unimog 406 chassis to fight the expected ground war with the Soviets in Europe. By the time they got delivered the USSR was no more. Most sat in depot for most of their lives so the hours are low. In order make work for various congressional districts many were torn down and rebuilt to new (recapped) and then sold as surplus. Mine had 41 hours and 500 miles on the speedometer when I got it. I paid 17 K for mine 4 years ago, folks are asking $27K on Ebay but my guess most are being sold for less. They are complex machines and US Mercedes dealers have no clue how to work on them. They were imported as Freightliners but they were strictly sold to the military. Manuals are available on line.

They have a 4 speed transmission with an air splitter and high low range box. Its Mercedes 6 cylinder Diesel with mechanical injection that has been around for many decades. They are either 2WD or 4WD with front and rear diff locks.

They do not take a 3 point hitch as the backhoe arrangement prevents it. I have plates on mine and some claim they can go 50 MPH but anything over 30 MPH on mine exceeds my level of fun (short wheelbase makes it pitch front to back and off road tires and suspension makes it pitch side to side. Its got an auxiliary hydraulic system with 50 foot hose reels that fit Stanley Hydraulic tools. They came with the jackhammer, rock drill and chainsaw (but the tools may have been lost).

The underlying running gear is built for 250K or service. Beats buying a third hand beat up crawler loader or much lighter chinese or indian rebranded unit.

One of the best deals out there if you are willing to do your own repairs are the government surplus Special Emplacement Excavators (SEE) otherwise known as FLU 419s. Its a wheeled loader with Case backhoe in the back. The US military had 3000 of them made by Mercedes based on their Unimog 406 chassis to fight the expected ground war with the Soviets in Europe. By the time they got delivered the USSR was no more. Most sat in depot for most of their lives so the hours are low. In order make work for various congressional districts many were torn down and rebuilt to new (recapped) and then sold as surplus. Mine had 41 hours and 500 miles on the speedometer when I got it. I paid 17 K for mine 4 years ago, folks are asking $27K on Ebay but my guess most are being sold for less. They are complex machines and US Mercedes dealers have no clue how to work on them. They were imported as Freightliners but they were strictly sold to the military. Manuals are available on line.

They have a 4 speed transmission with an air splitter and high low range box. Its Mercedes 6 cylinder Diesel with mechanical injection that has been around for many decades. They are either 2WD or 4WD with front and rear diff locks.

They do not take a 3 point hitch as the backhoe arrangement prevents it. I have plates on mine and some claim they can go 50 MPH but anything over 30 MPH on mine exceeds my level of fun (short wheelbase makes it pitch front to back and off road tires and suspension makes it pitch side to side. Its got an auxiliary hydraulic system with 50 foot hose reels that fit Stanley Hydraulic tools. They came with the jackhammer, rock drill and chainsaw (but the tools may have been lost).

The underlying running gear is built for 250K or service. Beats buying a third hand beat up crawler loader or much lighter chinese or indian rebranded unit.
OMG!

You ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO INCLUDE PUCS WITH A POST LIKE THIS!!!

I've only got 2 acres, and I heat with wood over the winter. Most of the property is on a 30°-40° grade and there's absolutely no way (without multiple skilled people and cable rigging) I could pull logs out of the woods, up the hill, without my neighbors ancient tractor.

He's an older guy who has a bit of trouble getting around and also heats with wood, so I fell and cut the trees to length, and he hauls them back to our houses. He also lets me use his land for my garden, and I give him some veggies.

Teamwork makes the dream work.

as a gold miner, i have some equipment. bought a used tractor, big mistake. should have bought a skid steer. don't need the backhoe because
i have an excavator. the tractor is too big to get around in the tight woods.

I did not know how I is able to get anything done without this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220612-125426~2.png
    Screenshot_20220612-125426~2.png
    792.3 KB · Views: 12
Back