diy solar

diy solar

Gravity Generator with weights (like an old style clock)

A typical iPhone battery stores 10-15 Wh of energy.

That's roughly equivalent to the energy required to lift a 500 kg mass (~1100 lbs) up a height of 10 metres (~33 ft).

Train up and down an inclined track. > 7%(?) incline wheels spin.
Winch weight up circular incline that circles your property.
The tower idea with the multi-ton concrete weights they have been trying to sell for a few years. The lower blocks contain little if any energy energy. The lower blocks are just an expensive way to build a building
Another similar idea: weights on four wheeled carts lifted by an elevator or crane. Two levels. Levels could be on a mountain. At the upper and lower levels, tracks splayed out in a Fib pattern. Unload each cart at the same place and send down a specific Fib track. Fib tracks at both levels that fill a circle.
Another idea that mist have been thought of with simple description: Pulley anchored to bottom of deep body of water. Air filled vertical blimp aero/hydro shaped object pulled down and allowed to float back up using shore/boat/oil platform based generator/motor. MLMFA Make Lake Mead Full Again when a bunch of the blimps are submerged.

When I drink beer, I expel Megacraptons of water.
I wonder how much power the 3ft drop can create.

My goodness. I guess the math just doesn't get through.
If you meant to me (or others)...I am starting to "Get it". The idea is great,clean,free (as in not costing fuel or money)... but is not really "usefull" on a small scale. Only as a learning experiment it's a good project, but not as another way to charge my phone. That message got through. ?

I have also been looking at hydro generators in various forms...but you need massive amounts of water to make that work. For an experiment a pump is fine to get water up in a bucket and run down some waterwheel or turbine. I will at least try both these methods to light some LED's but other than that it might not produce enough power...or for long enough to be really useful for other devices.

I did do a quick test by putting the small generator directly into my "bosch dremel-like tool"...it fit's perfectly. It generates 40 volts at speed 1 and increasing it gave 60, 80, 100, 115...after that I did not dare increase it any more in my current setup. Also...I have no idea at what RPM the tool is spinning the generator. Probably more than what it was designed for. I know volts do not equal watts or power...it will still only give a max of 10 watts. Right?

But at least I know that at a high enough RPM there will be enough voltage on this thing. It's a cheap thing from amazon...even cheaper on aliexpress ?

1693298275493.png
source: borrowed from google ;)

If you meant to me (or others)...I am starting to "Get it". The idea is great,clean,free (as in not costing fuel or money)... but is not really "usefull" on a small scale. Only as a learning experiment it's a good project, but not as another way to charge my phone. That message got through. ?

I have also been looking at hydro generators in various forms...but you need massive amounts of water to make that work. For an experiment a pump is fine to get water up in a bucket and run down some waterwheel or turbine. I will at least try both these methods to light some LED's but other than that it might not produce enough power...or for long enough to be really useful for other devices.

I did do a quick test by putting the small generator directly into my "bosch dremel-like tool"...it fit's perfectly. It generates 40 volts at speed 1 and increasing it gave 60, 80, 100, 115...after that I did not dare increase it any more in my current setup. Also...I have no idea at what RPM the tool is spinning the generator. Probably more than what it was designed for. I know volts do not equal watts or power...it will still only give a max of 10 watts. Right?

But at least I know that at a high enough RPM there will be enough voltage on this thing. It's a cheap thing from amazon...even cheaper on aliexpress ?

View attachment 164982
Lol..

I have 4 if those mini generators, with all gears and stuff.

Idea was to make a water wheel at our pond filter, to get some of the energy used back.

Return in investment?
Lol
Like 10.000 years

But fun.

Never went into fruition...
But does not breakdown either..
Patiently waiting on a shelf ?

The fun of design was already worth it

View attachment 164982
Let 8 kg freefall from 5 meters to turn a generator. Put all this energy into a small portable battery pack. If you set this weight 10 times a day, by bed time you will have enough charge in the battery to get 10 watts for 15 minutes.

Similar for hydro. A trickle of water making 5 watts continuous adds up if stored and used later.

Nah, he missed the time factor. That's 118 millijoules, not watts.
Just keep on drinking :)
So you can keep on urinating :)

Or install that hydro at the local pub / bar?

Local highschool/ University?
Youngsters have a much more powerful beam :)
Except they lack the aiming skills or the intent to aim.

Let 8 kg freefall from 5 meters to turn a generator. Put all this energy into a small portable battery pack. If you set this weight 10 times a day, by bed time you will have enough charge in the battery to get 10 watts for 15 minutes.

Similar for hydro. A trickle of water making 5 watts continuous adds up if stored and used later.
Now that is a way more constructive and motivational reply! ? Only issue is I can't create a height of 5 meters...as my ceiling is at 2.5 meters. I can do a pulley system...which will also minimize the load/torgue/(whats the term) on the gears that pull it back up. And maybe the motor.

I plan on using either super caps or lifepo4 to charge the energy into and use it later. Anything else just wastes power...like charging a phone or power bank directly from a USB converter. It might work...while the "energy source runs"...but it also doesn't capture all power that is available.
I have 4 if those mini generators, with all gears and stuff.
I have build my own 3D printer a couple of years ago...then bought a real one...and dismantled the old one. So I have many parts in servo's, beams, slides, bearings, belts, wheels, pulley's...but most are 5mm. And this generator has a 3mm axle...still looking for those gears in this size. 3D printing is an option...but not durable and my 3D printers are "temporarily out of service". ;)

Idea was to make a water wheel at our pond filter, to get some of the energy used back.

Return in investment?
Lol
Like 10.000 years

But fun.

Never went into fruition...
But does not breakdown either..
Patiently waiting on a shelf ?

The fun of design was already worth it
I have the same with my solor system. Return of investment...NEVER! Or your version..10.000 years. But the fun and learning is so worth all of it! If only I had the space and budget to expand it...I would in a heartbeat! Truly offgrid...but in the city. Hahaha. I am not an outdoor person but I just like all the related tech. ?

And for everyone talking about the "wee-generator"....I don't want to be the person that need to service that generator. ;)

Weight and pully, you could lift multiple 10 kg weighs (or turn a crank to rewind generator with all weights lifted at once). You've only got a couple meters of ceiling height but could boost weight 10x and reasonably support it with hook into joist.

Since just one cell phone battery stores more power than a reasonable indoor weight, most practical thing could be a roller generator stand for a bicycle. Maybe a center/rear stand for the bike and a generator that rides on top of tire instead; then you could also recharge while bicycling.

I think iPhone charger is about 2A 5V, 10W. A comfortable bicycle generator might be 100W, so charging a higher capacity battery could be a good fit.

Back