diy solar

diy solar

Ground mount recommendations

As long as it doesn't freeze in his location a ballast system will work. But if there are multiple ballast boxes and they heave unevenly, it will damage the rack, panels or both.
Nope
Ballast system is fine where there is frost. Clay soil wet to dry moves more than frost.

Good call. (y)

Whether clay movement or frost heave the panels and/or rack could be damaged.
You should see the PV installs done around here. It freezes here, usually a low around -20F in the winter for at least a week. So frost gets down to the 5 to 6 foot depth fairly easy depending on snow cover.

Electrical contractors have been installing PV here by driving an I beam directly into the earth for posts. No cement around the posts. These installs are usually around hog barns that require large amounts of electricity to run the ventilation fans.

When you are out driving around the area, you see many of the arrays have posts that have heaved up due to frost. I think it is just criminal what they are doing. But hey, it's cheap and fast.

I'm looking more at Sinclair's system (Practical Prepper recommends it). It is relaively thin galvanized. He has videos where it looks like he is just driving it in with a skidsteer mounted driver. But he operates down south (I think in the carolinas) so less frost there. My ground is a fair share of clay and rock - I do not think I could successfulyl drive any kind of beam or post without hitting rock. Auger would probably also hit rock.
I plan to use an excavator and just dig out a few large spaces - hopefully big and deep enough to resist most of the heaving in the winter (yes, many of my projects involve a strong element of hope).

I'm looking more at Sinclair's system (Practical Prepper recommends it). It is relaively thin galvanized. He has videos where it looks like he is just driving it in with a skidsteer mounted driver. But he operates down south (I think in the carolinas) so less frost there. My ground is a fair share of clay and rock - I do not think I could successfulyl drive any kind of beam or post without hitting rock. Auger would probably also hit rock.
I plan to use an excavator and just dig out a few large spaces - hopefully big and deep enough to resist most of the heaving in the winter (yes, many of my projects involve a strong element of hope).

He also has a "ballasted" version that I have.
He picks up the phone when you call too.
If you buy his system and his panels the panels are direct mount, no clips, no grounds, just bolt them up. It's ul as well.
My only problem is that the posts are short for the seasonal tilt, If I tilt them where I want them in the winter, I'll be shoveling.

Was at the Canadian border last week at Grand Portage. At the rest stop area for High Falls, there is a small PV array beside the parking lot. All they did there was pour a cement pad, I'm assuming with rebar and cemented upright posts into the cement. I should have snapped a photo of it.

Looked like it had been there for some time as the panels were poly.

Video of the sinclair ground mount system in action from Engineer 775 (this guy is very respected and knows what he is doing). The video is about the Solark 15, but in it he shows the ground mount sinclair being driven directly into the earth. The sinclair system is engineered, and on an individual piece basis is much less strong then a 5 inch round schedule 80 pipe.

Video of the sinclair ground mount system in action from Engineer 775. The video is about the Solark 15, but in it he shows the ground mount sinclair being driven directly into the earth. The sinclair system is engineered, and on an individual piece basis is much less strong then a 5 inch round schedule 80 pipe.
Thank you for recommending this video. In fact I would also advise
to review the other more specific 'Sinclair Sky-Rack' videos from Engineer 775:

Last edited:
Been following Engineer775 for a while. I looked into Sinclair but it's a bit pricey (steel has gone up a lot and delivery to east cost is almost the same cost as the materials). I don't have the "luxury" of Carolina clay - loads of rock mixed in with my soil - so driving posts is not an option. I'm considering a DIY solution. It's a 16 panel array with a 30psf snow load and 105 wind rating.

Been following Engineer775 for a while. I looked into Sinclair but it's a bit pricey (steel has gone up a lot and delivery to east cost is almost the same cost as the materials). I don't have the "luxury" of Carolina clay - loads of rock mixed in with my soil - so driving posts is not an option. I'm considering a DIY solution. It's a 16 panel array with a 30psf snow load and 105 wind rating.
That is where pounding and welding an array out of steel pipe would work much better than the sinclair. Contact a fence builder.

I just watched a guy do his own ground mount for 30 panels out of $300 of scrap metal and some welding - it was interesting to see what can be done. There's a set of them - he got scrapped, galvanized angle iron and welded them into square tubes.... He's in Northern Arizona.

If you buy his system and his panels the panels are direct mount, no clips, no grounds, just bolt them up. It's ul as well.
You don't need to buy "his" panels (whatever those may be), the spacing is setup for Canadian Solar for mounting holes, mentioned in this video.

You don't need to buy "his" panels (whatever those may be), the spacing is setup for Canadian Solar for mounting holes, mentioned in this video.

No need for the sonotube. I installed a MT Solar mount, they recommend just boring the hole, installing the pole and filling with concrete. I used a earth auger on my skid steer with a 36 inch bit.

The Skyrack 2.0 is a nice mount, if I add more PV I will certainly consider it. Or I might just copy some of the aspects of the MT mount I installed.

@hambergerman can you give more details on this installation. I would love pictures and more information.
Not sure what snow load design is for your area in PA, but I looked at those racks and they're designed for 30psf. We require 40psf in our Chicago metro area, which is probably comparable to northern PA.

Back