diy solar

diy solar

Grounding Necessary?

DenverGuy

I have a detached garage and I recently threw four 100W panels on the roof (in parallel). They connect to a 30A MPPT controller, four 100Ah batteries and a PSW inverter. Everything is fused.
I am concerned about grounding. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I am concerned about grounding.
All in parallel, your array is pretty low voltage. You didn't take any of the suggestions to configure array 2S2P? That was good advice.

If your inverter has a grounding lug (green in all likelihood), connect that to something grounded (water pipe, gas pipe...).

Thanks. I needed to get it running quickly. It is set up in such a way that I can easily change it. When the weather improves I will change it over to 2S2P.

With a non-grid connected system. We only need be concerned with lightning protection. Ground the rooftop panel's frame to an appropriate ground rod. After you do that, sit back and read all the contrary posts that follow this.
All the ac voltage produced by the inverter has no reference to the earth. Your circuits "green" wire needs be attached to the inverter case lug. Not the earth.
With a MPPT you do want more voltage than parallel panels. 2+2 would work better.

With a non-grid connected system. We only need be concerned with lightning protection. Ground the rooftop panel's frame to an appropriate ground rod. After you do that, sit back and read all the contrary posts that follow this.
All the ac voltage produced by the inverter has no reference to the earth. Your circuits "green" wire needs be attached to the inverter case lug. Not the earth.
With a MPPT you do want more voltage than parallel panels. 2+2 would work better.
Which green wire has to go to the inverter. I did not that the Epever SCC has a ground lug. MisterSandals recommended 2S2P. Is that the same as 2+2?

Back