diy solar

diy solar

Grounding question

OffGrid

Solar enthusiast
What is the proper way to ground a off grid system? I haven't seen anything about it on this site yet .

I'd be interested too. As a subset on the same topic, GFI outlets. I have a GFI tester, and when I use it on the output of my inverter, it clearly shows there is no ground. If I press the test button on the GFI breaker outlet, it pops. If I test the GFI breaker outlet using the test button on my GFI tester, it will not pop, so I'm not sure I'm really protected.

The output of an inverter has been pretty much ignored regarding safety, grounding and protection.

i like to know to about grounding a on and off grid system also.

If your inverter is connected to your house's distribution panel it must be grounded! The size of wire can depend on expected over current situations (your inverter instructions may have wire spec). The larger the better (solid wire only). Your distribution panel should already be grounded (solid wire from ground bar to outside ground rod) in which case you can ground the inverter to the your panels common ground (find an open spot on the ground bar to connect inverter ground to). If your inverter is not connecting to a grounded distribution panel, install a ground rod outside and then run a solid copper wire from it to your inverters ground point. In a grid tie setup these comments may or may not apply...

-Mark

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken the ground wire is actually also connected to the negative line as is the power pole negative line . If there is an electrician out there you might explain that . I'm in Aus with a 240Volt single phase rural supply.

AFAIK, except for the new transformerless inverters, the panels must be grounded.

If I am not mistaken the ground wire is actually also connected to the negative line as is the power pole negative line . If there is an electrician out there you might explain that . I'm in Aus with a 240Volt single phase rural supply.
Definitely NOT an electrician... but... in the US the way 240v split phase works is a centertap off the transformer, so:
  • L1 to neutral is 120V
  • L2 to neutral is 120V
  • L1 to L2 is 240V
There is no "negative" wire in AC power

Somewhere, usually close to the meter, a grounding rod is hammered into the earth (there may be multiple grounding rods, each needs to be electrically connected). The ground from your load center is tied to the grounding rod.

Somewhere, usually the Load Center, the neutral is bonded to ground.

Briefly when you install your solar panels on your roof or permanent position ,the frame and the panels ,are all strapped to earth . There are special connectors made for earthing each rail and for joining one rail to another . They are meant to bite through the anodising of the rail .On the ground side an earthing rod is usual that is driven into the ground as close as possible . Your inside inverter and common earths are all usually connected to this circuit.

What you do on a moving site I guess is get the best earth you can . Some boats connect through the sacrificial anodes but there are differing opinions on those. Some vehicles use a grounding strap hanging down from the chassis, some say the carbon in the tyres is enough to ground the vehicle . I don't think the Chinese know about ground yet?

We need to know exactly what your application is. Grounding a marine system vs stationary off-grid vs vehicle mounted, they are completely different. What type of system are you talking?

Definitely NOT an electrician... but... in the US the way 240v split phase works is a centertap off the transformer, so:
  • L1 to neutral is 120V
  • L2 to neutral is 120V
  • L1 to L2 is 240V
There is no "negative" wire in AC power

Somewhere, usually close to the meter, a grounding rod is hammered into the earth (there may be multiple grounding rods, each needs to be electrically connected). The ground from your load center is tied to the grounding rod.

Somewhere, usually the Load Center, the neutral is bonded to ground.
OK as I said its Single Phase here not Split and I corrected the negative comment below . The edit 20min limit got me again.

Briefly when you install your solar panels on your roof or permanent position ,the frame and the panels ,are all strapped to earth . There are special connectors made for earthing each rail and for joining one rail to another . They are meant to bite through the anodising of the rail .On the ground side an earthing rod is usual that is driven into the ground as close as possible . Your inside inverter and common earths are all usually connected to this circuit.

What you do on a moving site I guess is get the best earth you can . Some boats connect through the sacrificial anodes but there are differing opinions on those. Some vehicles use a grounding strap hanging down from the chassis, some say the carbon in the tyres is enough to ground the vehicle . I don't think the Chinese know about ground yet?

The grounding strap hanging from the chassis is more so you don't zap people like toll collectors with static when they reach out to take your cash. The rubber tires insulate the vehicle from the roadway and it can develop a pretty good static charge going down the road.

We need to know exactly what your application is. Grounding a marine system vs stationary off-grid vs vehicle mounted, they are completely different. What type of system are you talking?
It's stationary off grid . I have a generator power in breaker panel before the inverter and a breaker box for the power coming out of the inverter.

so it ok to ground my inverter and a charge controller to the house ground rod right it in the house in a seperate room ..,......

Yes very interested in this too. Am mounting a stationary grid on a metal roof. Is it necessary to do copper grounding wire? And the topic of grounding the electrical system itself is new to me.

No matter what the roof material they should be grounded . If they fuse or short for some reason it will go to ground . Lightening protection etc. There have been quite a few of those big round off switches in a square box catch fire and ignite leaves under the panels too. They mount them on the side of the panels for some reason . I'm not going up on the roof to turn it off when sparks or fire are apparent . That's why I mount mine at the Inverter point.

So yes, get an 8' long 5/8" copper grounding rod and put it 7.5' in the ground, connect at least 10awg (size it, just an example) solid copper wire to a grounding clamp on the rod. I just did this, cost about $35 total.

I absolutely hate putting them in....really....I hate them. Thier WAY taller than me and I dont have a slide hammer, so I use a 3lb sledge on a wobbling sometimes moving target. Still, a little better than your house burning down not having it. But only a by little.

Back