diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 12k latest firmware

I guess I have the latest I didn’t check. I pack it up already going to take to sigsolar tomorrow and see what they tell me. I called them Friday the tech didn’t seem to know anything about Pv problems and not been detected or charging. I tried setting array series 10 x 100 watt renogy panels 24.3 Voc so voltage was around 198v. I tried another array 5 Canadian Solar 290watts 39.1voc and nothing responses. The output seem to work fine but thats it. They told they were going to email but no one did. I’ll keep you update what they tell me.
Ours was doing this at the first, but only when I had 65v DC going in from panels. If I recall, the scc takes 60v in to work. But obviously not your problem.

Ours is working now with 175v DC in , but when battery is above 3.3v per cell the charging really tapers off. Also might have had one of those quick unexplained morning reboots.

I wrote them about firmware Monday, crickets.

If you get the latest firmware out of them, see if they'll put it on a thumb drive for you and upload it here in resources. Or pm me a copy if you can.

Just off of the phone with tech at Sig Solar. He recalled a similar issue with this unit which was corrected by a firmware update. The latest update was issued in Oct 2022. But is labeled: SPF 8K-12K DVM Firmware 06-23-22. The zip file contains an .mp4 file explaining the process of updating the unit. I have tried to post it before but was limited by file size on this server. Will try again by breaking out the files to smaller bites.

I have found that this board will not allow uploads of these file types. So we are dead at this point. My suggestion is a call to Sig Sol to get the file sent to you straight away. Sorry about that.

Ours was doing this at the first, but only when I had 65v DC going in from panels. If I recall, the scc takes 60v in to work. But obviously not your problem.

Ours is working now with 175v DC in , but when battery is above 3.3v per cell the charging really tapers off. Also might have had one of those quick unexplained morning reboots.

I wrote them about firmware Monday, crickets.

If you get the latest firmware out of them, see if they'll put it on a thumb drive for you and upload it here in resources. Or pm me a copy if you can.

I cannot seem to find the secret to posting these files. png. jpg and the like seem to be the only option.

Regarding the Growatt12k MPV failing to start charging in the morning, it is a know problem that has been going on for a while. I reported on this as far back as June of 2021 https://diysolarforum.com/threads/growatt-12k-mppt-charging-question.23927/ and it has been discussed in other threads also https://diysolarforum.com/threads/benefits-of-firmware-update-for-growatt-12k-dvm-mpv.48982/

I have not tried to update the firmware to see if it helps or not. It happens so randomly that I cannot pin down any causality.

Regarding the Growatt12k MPV failing to start charging in the morning, it is a know problem that has been going on for a while. I reported on this as far back as June of 2021 https://diysolarforum.com/threads/growatt-12k-mppt-charging-question.23927/ and it has been discussed in other threads also https://diysolarforum.com/threads/benefits-of-firmware-update-for-growatt-12k-dvm-mpv.48982/

I have not tried to update the firmware to see if it helps or not. It happens so randomly that I cannot pin down any causality.
Thanks

I am not sure if this is acceptable or not. I would be happy to email you the latest drivers
Conversations are private messages. You can find them in the "envelope" ICON at the top of the page b/t your screen name and the notification bell.

Conversations are private messages. You can find them in the "envelope" ICON at the top of the page b/t your screen name and the notification bell.
I am traveling this weekend. Will send when I return.

Well, I have continued to have this problem randomly over the past several months so I finally tried to update the firmware. I followed the directions meticulously but the firmware update failed. It eventually timed out and once I got my inverter restarted, now it will not recognize the solar input at all. The rest of the inverter works, but it will not charge off of solar. Not quite a brick but might as well be.

Not sure what to do now.

Well, I have continued to have this problem randomly over the past several months so I finally tried to update the firmware. I followed the directions meticulously but the firmware update failed. It eventually timed out and once I got my inverter restarted, now it will not recognize the solar input at all. The rest of the inverter works, but it will not charge off of solar. Not quite a brick but might as well be.

Not sure what to do now.
You'll need to reach out to the seller. That should be your support network

I'd probably call them if it was mission critical
Well I finally spoke with Tech Support at Signature Solar and unfortunately the only advice they had for me was to just try over and over to update the firmware. They said they had another customer that it took (I think he said) 17 times before it worked. I really don't understand why it would fail 16 times and then all of a sudden work but I guess I will try a few more times.

It there anyone out there that had trouble updating their Firmware that was able to overcome the problem? Any hints?

I'm might ask for tier 2 or 3 level support
The tech I spoke with, Colt, (really nice guy) was going back and forth speaking with (what he said was) their top tier guy asking questions and this answer came from the top tier guy.

They said that if trying (several more times) did not work, (since they do not sell repair parts anymore) the only option I had was to send it to them and have them bench test and repair it. He said that it was $150 for them to even look at it and then $30/hr. plus parts to fix it. Add in $150 shipping cost (both ways), that could add up fast on a unit that only cost $2000 to replace.

I successfully updated the Firmware when I first got the unit with no problem. I just wish I could figure out why it failed this time... and if there is some secret work around to get it to work.

It's a real shame that I waited 8 months to try this firmware upgrade as my unit in now only 3 weeks out of warranty. If I had tried this a month ago and had this problem it would have been covered under the 2 year warranty. Really kicking myself for not being more aware of where I was in the warranty period.

I would not think a firmware update that bricks a unit is a warranty issue. Seems like to me they released a patch that damaged the inverter.
That should be on them.

I wonder why Signature Solar has abandoned his unit? No parts?

So maybe call watts 247 and beg him him. Last I heard heard he had parts. Or see if u can back install the old firmament. I think Watts has other firmwares.

I would not think a firmware update that bricks a unit is a warranty issue. Seems like to me they released a patch that damaged the inverter.
That should be on them.

I wonder why Signature Solar has abandoned his unit? No parts?

So maybe call watts 247 and beg him him. Last I heard heard he had parts. Or see if u can back install the old firmament. I think Watts has other firmwares.
The firmware install (according to the screen) made ZERO progress. The start command just kept scrolling but no progress was seen in any of the progress bars or widows. Apparently it did something since it was working before and now it's not but nothing showed up in the window.

As for Watts247, they no longer sell or support that particular model due to some Inverter back-feed problem.

Back