diy solar

diy solar

Growatt firmware update

Have you sorted this?
It could be your string voltage exceeding 450V and the MPPT shutting down.
Rewire your series string so that you do not exceed 450V max power volts, the ratings are usually on the nameplate of the panel.
No, the problem persists .
I have considered that I was putting in too much voltage as there are 2x strings of 14 x 400 watt panels, @ 5600w, and thought this might cause a shutdown as takes it just over the SPF capacity of 5000w ?
I can easily take out panels from the strings but will this stop the shutdowns ?
Last week I did take out 2x panels from one string but it shut down when batteries were full , again .
Maybe I,ll take out 4x panels from each string , so 4000w input , this could prove the theory ?

I am running on AGM battery settings ,if I try to set on Li type , warnings start of low voltage on both inverters ,
and no charge goes in ,
I can,t seem to win !

Today I fitted isolator switches to be able to turn the panels off without going over to the array combiner boxes , (30 metres away )
and when removing one of the MC 4 connectors fitted at the end of the 30 metre run from the panels , saw that it had partially melted !!
All replaced now but what would cause that ?

I have considered that I was putting in too much voltage as there are 2x strings of 14 x 400 watt panels, @ 5600w, and thought this might cause a shutdown as takes it just over the SPF capacity of 5000w ?
I can easily take out panels from the strings but will this stop the shutdowns ?
Last week I did take out 2x panels from one string but it shut down when batteries were full , again .
Maybe I,ll take out 4x panels from each string , so 4000w input , this could prove the theory ?

I am running on AGM battery settings ,if I try to set on Li type , warnings start of low voltage on both inverters ,
and no charge goes in ,
I can,t seem to win !

Today I fitted isolator switches to be able to turn the panels off without going over to the array combiner boxes , (30 metres away )
and when removing one of the MC 4 connectors fitted at the end of the 30 metre run from the panels , saw that it had partially melted !!
The key thing is the total voltage of the string. Can you check what voltage range usually appears on your display at max sun?

The SPF can take up to 450V as max input

Let's break it down this way
Each of your 400W panel has a Max Power Voltage, multiply that by the number of panels should give you an idea of the voltage getting into your inverter. Assuming each panel has a MaxPowerVoltage of 40V, you only need 11 panels in series to hit 440V.
Try running just 10 panels in series per string (for a total of 20 panels) and see how that works out. Most MPPT chargers can tolerate over wattage since your panels will not be producing 400W each but overvoltage is an issue

and no charge goes in ,
I can,t seem to win !

I don't have info on your batteries, I just switched to Li from AGM and discovering the pain of BMS and all that!

You may want to post the battery issue as a separate inquiry and someone may be able to help.

What I noticed so far on batteries is that Pylontech is the most popular BMS protocol, try their settings and see what you get

The key thing is the total voltage of the string. Can you check what voltage range usually appears on your display at max sun?

The SPF can take up to 450V as max input

Let's break it down this way
Each of your 400W panel has a Max Power Voltage, multiply that by the number of panels should give you an idea of the voltage getting into your inverter. Assuming each panel has a MaxPowerVoltage of 40V, you only need 11 panels in series to hit 440V.
Try running just 10 panels in series per string (for a total of 20 panels) and see how that works out. Most MPPT chargers can tolerate over wattage since your panels will not be producing 400W each but overvoltage is an issue
Thanks,
sun just rising so full sun today ,
I will disconnect 4 X panels per string which leaves a total of 20 X 400 watt panels . Max voltage on each panel is 49.8v ( I,ll check that later) .
14x 49.8 = 697 v , so over voltage is apparent .
10x 49.8 = 498 so just below so will monitor today .
Thanks for the input .

I don't have info on your batteries, I just switched to Li from AGM and discovering the pain of BMS and all that!

You may want to post the battery issue as a separate inquiry and someone may be able to help.

What I noticed so far on batteries is that Pylontech is the most popular BMS protocol, try their settings and see what you get

Back