diy solar

diy solar

Growatt firmware update

Yes. I said I had an ES. And I only updated the part that was necessary for the EG4 to talk w the GroWatt. I wouldn't update it, for to only have the latest FW. If it's not broke, don't fix it. You never stated here, although maybe in another thread, that you were having any specific issue.

And, I contacted the dealer, who advised against an update, and - sent a replacement comms board on his own volition. Seeing as how I had the new board there, and SS had suggested a FW update to fix the comms issue, I thought "Ok, I'll try this. If it fails horribly, I'll swap the board."

Always have a good reason. And always have a Plan B.

Yes. I said I had an ES. And I only updated the part that was necessary for the EG4 to talk w the GroWatt. I wouldn't update it, for to only have the latest FW. If it's not broke, don't fix it. You never stated here, although maybe in another thread, that you were having any specific issue.

And, I contacted the dealer, who advised against an update, and - sent a replacement comms board on his own volition. Seeing as how I had the new board there, and SS had suggested a FW update to fix the comms issue, I thought "Ok, I'll try this. If it fails horribly, I'll swap the board."

Always have a good reason. And always have a Plan B.
@mtts I'm not blaming anyone and I know you stated ES but I gave it a try anyway :) really my mistake was not contacting growatt to confirm the firmware version first... since that would likely have avoided my bricking.

I was unable to update some of the settings via the app on one of my inverters, some settings could be changed and some not. That was what I was trying to fix. My system is not critical it is more of a hobby/disaster readiness with only a few panels connected so its only cost me tinkering time and whatever the cost of the control board will be...

Plan B is always, fix what I break :)

Do you know what fw version was on before?
I had the same situation as you and it was because i had a 067/068 fw version on bevore.

greenottawa is the one who bricked his invertor who you were trying to help. I just happened to be following this thread and realized that the firmware you posted was applicable for my series as well. Thanks once again!

@angelrally @mtts
I flashed my Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-48P with the F2809_SK051.05_20220104_A firmware and it "Completed Successfully" according to the ISP software but when I restarted the inverter I have a blank screen and no AC/INV, CHG or Fault lights are on. The Fan is running at full speed though, and stays that way.

I've tried completely powering it down and waited 10 minutes etc. to see if its just not fully restarting but no change in outcome.

I have also tried to reflash the firmware using a technique of turning everything off, connecting the USB and starting the flash again. Then turn the batter power back on to allow the inverter to power up. The com board has all the led's lite up for a moment when it first gets power making me think its not likely a com board issue. The ISP software can start the communication. I can see it write the first line and an orange light goes on the comm board. That just seems to stay like that endlessly at this point.

So I am stuck with nothing on the LCD screen and trying to reflash is not working at all. Any suggestions on how to fix this or what I could try next?

Thanks in advance for any help!

UPDATE:
So I contacted Growatt and they said I used the wrong firmware.... the one above is only for the ES version. I was given a new firmware to try and load but I had no luck installing it. They now say I need to replace my control board. They also mentioned "We don't recommend fw update for SPF." Just for completeness of this post I am putting the link they gave me here for the SPF firmware and ISP software (v4.3) but use at your own risk...
Hello any updates if the problem was solved?

Hello any updates if the problem was solved?
I'm still working with the company I bought from. I will update you guys when I know the final outcome. Looks like I will be able to order replacement control boards relatively cheaply.

I have not updated my spf 5000 Growatt software but everything , well nearly , is working ok ,
so I am reluctant to upgrade , unless it helps with the WiFi problem I have ?

I cannot seem to get the SHINE wifi to work ? I have tried to register 2x units and always have the same difficulty .
I do not have an installer code , how do I get one of those ?
The other block is caused by the inverter numbers not being recognised ?
I have tried using the numbers on the SHINE wifi dongle , but same response .
Has anyone managed to break this lock ?

You need to contact your seller and get the installer code, or you can email Growatt directly and ask for a code.
I have 3 sticks and install process is quite easy. Follow the .PDF.

You need to contact your seller and get the installer code, or you can email Growatt directly and ask for a code.
I have 3 sticks and install process is quite easy. Follow the .PDF.
Thanks, I tried an e mail to Growatt , but had no reply , I wonder if I used the right contact ?
have you an e mail address that works for Growatt ?
I will ask Rosen for a code as well ,

Thanks, I tried an e mail to Growatt , but had no reply , I wonder if I used the right contact ?
Hello I did work mine without the installer code. left it blank. But I used the US shine server instead of CH. server-us.growatt.com

Check your spam/junk folder for their reply as some systems interpret their address as spam. You can reach Growatt USA support at usaservice@ginverter.com. They're usually very good at responding.

I just found this forum thread https://powerforum.co.za/topic/6430-growatt-firmware-updates/ that describes how to do a factory reset if you brick the communications board and more clear and detailed instructions on how to do the firmware updates. I've copied and pasted the instructions below in quotes for your convenience. Hope this helps.

Also here is a trouble shooting guide by Growatt that has this info in it. http://www.cnbmoverseas.com/uploadfiles/2020/08/20200811100957704.pdf

"I got it to flash by following these steps:
  • Switch off all source (PV and AC) input and remove all load. Inverter must only be connected to batteries
  • Reset the inverter using the button procedure as described in the fw update procedure docs (pressing 2nd and 3rd button together and entering the password)
  • Exit the reset menu and power down the inverter. Power down the batteries as well.
  • Disconnect the batteries and remove bms cable if present as well as the wifi dongle.
  • Connect the USB cable to your PC and connect the batteries again.
  • Power up the batteries and the inverter.
  • Flash the firmware file now - mine worked at this stage (finally!)
  • Power down everything again, connect bms, wifi dongle, etc. and power up again.
  • I guess you can reset to factory settings again with the button procedure as recommended by the flash instructions if need be.
  • Configure all settings - now it should work as intended.
After the comms board update my wifi dongle works again on the 500.9 firmware with BMS active (Li setting 02)"

"There is a video on how to do it as well as a tips.txt file:

1. connect battery well£¬disconnect grid utility£¬
2. press the second and the third bottom at the same time£¬
3. password 305
4. up or down to page 34
5. press enter bottom to get into rst setting
6. press enter bottom to reset£¬wait for a while£¬it will finish resetting

Basically it resets the device to factory defaults. I found this step is essential when upgrading firmware, before upgrading and after.

The screen going blank after a fw update also happened to me, luckily there is a recovery procedure at the end of one of the update instruction files:

NOTE:
Sometimes updating may fail, you may close the inverter by disconnect battery break and close
ISP tool and disconnect USB line. Confirm the inverter is not power by battery or PV or utility. Then you connect USB line again, and open ISP tool do the same step as above, after you press Flash button, you let the inverter power on. Wait for several minutes the update will go on."

I successfully updated my spf3000TL LVM ES. I got the files on watts247. on the zip files are detailed instructions and notes for updating. It was scary at first because all I have seen in forums by not working or brick the inverter, but I had no problems.

I was looking for update because:

1. my low voltage cut is at 5% and back to utility at 10%. the inverter one day started charging the battery although my setting is at OSO 'only solar'

2. every time the battery depleted, the inverted shows alarm 04. (pytes 48v 100a). the alarms goes away by itself once it starts charging for a while
(still giving me alarm 04 )

3. a plus for me was that the mppt update increases the solar pv current from 18 to 22amps. this made me very happy since I have 8 panels, 4 parralel and the current was limited to 18. now it goes up to 22 which is my max current from the PV

I just ran into this thread as I have a similar issue and am hoping to find a solution to my system problems .
Can I ask for advice please on Growatt spf 5000?

When my three li batteries are at 100 % the Growatt inverters shut down = no power !
system :
28 x 400 w panels
2x growatt spf 5000
3x rosen 200a batteries in parallel

settings

USE /batteries
this way I can adjust input/output volttages .

I switch on the panels when batteries are under 50% then as soon as they reach 100%
it all shuts down .
I have tried all kinds of settings but nothing changes .Is this familiar to any of you guys ?

I have just been sent a firmware update but after reading these comments am uncertain whether I should up grade ?
Have you sorted this?
It could be your string voltage exceeding 450V and the MPPT shutting down.
Rewire your series string so that you do not exceed 450V max power volts, the ratings are usually on the nameplate of the panel.

I’m on use settings.added my Outback FM80 with 2700w of panels to help in these overcast days having now. Working perfectly . Monitoring with battery monitor to the Seplos bms x3 and direct usb cable to the inverter with PVkeeper v.2 to the inverter. Bought Solar assistant and just waiting on my Rasberry pi 4 to com in this week and monitor both from that. That’s where I Stop.

When you are on USE setting and using Lithium batteries, you are leaving some capacity unused. I had BMS issues between the Growatt SPF5000ES and BSL 5.1KWh batteries (which is sorted now). When I switched from USE to Li setting, the batteries will go from 100% to something between 77 and 80% at full charge.
Voltage monitoring alone does not seem to give an accurate SOC for Lithium batteries due to the nature of the voltage curve under charge/

Back