diy solar

diy solar

Growatt spf Not Seeing PV In The Morning

Same issue with PV no start on 10/13. 10/12 was a rainy day with very little sun. The batteries never reached over 82% or ~54v. PV did not start on 10/13 until returning home from work and reseting the aio around 15:30.
1667476484388.png

xx
1667476550560.png

I would take a look at bus voltage at these points.
When my bus voltage got too high. Internal communication between boards went down.
Although it seemed to reset itself when voltage decreased, if I just left it alone. Otherwise, a manual reset fixed it emidiatly.

Doing some more reading in my manual I come across a section entitled - Handling measures for part of faults. (RTFM - Do'Oh!)

Under the section for "Battery over voltage protection", it states; "Measure if the battery voltage exceeds rated and turn off the PV array air switch (I assume this is the breaker or disconnect) and the Mains air switch."

So it does indeed it looks like the reset mode for battery being over voltage is a disconnect and reconnect.

Hmm, just turning off the pv didn't work. Disconnecting the batteries didn't work as long as grid was connected. Had to disconnect batteries and grid before it would reset and charge with pv.

All of the guessing and attempts to get around this issue ON THIS PARTICULAR SERIES OF SPF LOW FREQUENCY INVERTERS(SPF4000-12000T DVM/MPV) will not solve the problem. As I've previously stated in this thread, Growatt has made new firmware available that fixes the problem as well as a few other issues. Since I flashed the new firmware I have not had a single problem despite encountering the usual set of events, on multiple occasions, that would have caused it to not wake up the MPPT's on sunrise. Send an email to Growatt America detailing your model number and the problem you're having and they'll send you a link to a google drive with the firmware and instructions.

For those that choose to flash the new firmware I highly recommend that you have a good working knowledge of Windows, Windows Device Manager as well as a thorough understanding of COM ports and how to configure them. I'm guessing that the people that brick their inverters or other electronics while attempting a firmware flash lack the serial communications knowledge to fully understand what they're doing, and is the major cause of firmware flashing issues. In short, follow the directions exactly as they're presented and verify everything is set up correctly before clicking the Start button because if just one setting is incorrect, you risk bricking the board. If done correctly the flash takes less than 5 minutes.

All of the guessing and attempts to get around this issue ON THIS PARTICULAR SERIES OF SPF LOW FREQUENCY INVERTERS(SPF4000-12000T DVM/MPV) will not solve the problem. As I've previously stated in this thread, Growatt has made new firmware available that fixes the problem ...
So what is the fix? Saying new firmware fixes an issue does not state what the issue was (the programing of the inverter that led to not charging from PV) and the how it was resolved. As you yourself note flashing the firmware can lead to problems if the method of flashing is not perfect. Plus which other Voltronic inverters may have the same problem but not the Growatt firmware fix. So workarounds can help.

It would be nice if companies identified what the new firmware does to address a previous problem. Did they provide an auto reset for Battery over voltage fault? Or did they simply increase the trip voltage? Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited:
Hmm, just turning off the pv didn't work. Disconnecting the batteries didn't work as long as grid was connected. Had to disconnect batteries and grid before it would reset and charge with pv.
Next time try this instead of restarting the SPF-6000T inverter: On the inverter or remotely if applicable go to setting 14 ( Charger Source Priority ) and change it to either Only Solar (OSO) or Solar and Utility (SNU), exit out and wait for a minute or two to see if it now initiates the PV power input at which point you can return to your normal charge priority setting.

Next time try this instead of restarting the SPF-6000T inverter: On the inverter or remotely if applicable go to setting 14 ( Charger Source Priority ) and change it to either Only Solar (OSO) or Solar and Utility (SNU), exit out and wait for a minute or two to see if it now initiates the PV power input at which point you can return to your normal charge priority setting.
That setting has always been on solar only, but when it fails to see pv again, I'll give it a shot. What is this supposed to determine?

That setting has always been on solar only, but when it fails to see pv again, I'll give it a shot. What is this supposed to determine?
Nothing to determine however it might help you getting PV charging back when it happens without having to restart the inverter and/or disconnecting the DC input. PS it is not important what setting it is on, if it is on OSO then change it to SNU then wait and see if PV comes back online after that you can change it back to OSO.

Hello,
I'm having the same problem with a SPF 6000 (see screenshot). To fix it, i switch off the PV input using an external breaker, wait for ~10 minutes and switch it back on.
It happens about once a month. If I'm not here when it happens, it resumes normal operations by itself on the following day.

I am in Japan, and think i don't have the US version. I will follow-up on @shopman's advice and try the firmware route with Growatt.

Attachments

• C407F000-D295-49C4-A68B-248398E614A5.png
    C407F000-D295-49C4-A68B-248398E614A5.png
    221 KB · Views: 4
Failed to see pv again today. This is now happening more often. Why?

Firmware version 510.03
Secondary Firmware Verson 044.01

@BenFromSignatureSolar have something for this issue? The Growatt spf6000t was purchased from SigSolar.

Last edited:
So what is the fix? Saying new firmware fixes an issue does not state what the issue was (the programing of the inverter that led to not charging from PV) and the how it was resolved. As you yourself note flashing the firmware can lead to problems if the method of flashing is not perfect. Plus which other Voltronic inverters may have the same problem but not the Growatt firmware fix. So workarounds can help.

It would be nice if companies identified what the new firmware does to address a previous problem. Did they provide an auto reset for Battery over voltage fault? Or did they simply increase the trip voltage? Your guess is as good as mine.
Yes it would be nice if the firmware came with a readme.txt that said what changed, but it doesn't. What it did come with though is the solution to the problem. Haven't had an issue since upgrading so I'm not overly concerned with whatever changes were made.

In addition to fixing the occasional no PV on sunrise issue, it also fixed the erroneous data it was reporting through Solar Assistant in regard to changing the inverter settings remotely. For example, under the Battery Settings header I would see Back to Battery Voltage(and many of the other options) always at 20v. I could change the setting, click on Save and it would always revert back to 20v. After the firmware update everything now displays correctly and the inverter now accepts programing changes made through Solar Assistant. It's now the perfect cost effective system I had hoped it would be and it runs our home 24/7. Three more Sunpower panels to install this weekend and the bulk of the work is done.

Yes it would be nice if the firmware came with a readme.txt that said what changed, but it doesn't. What it did come with though is the solution to the problem. Haven't had an issue since upgrading so I'm not overly concerned with whatever changes were made.

In addition to fixing the occasional no PV on sunrise issue, it also fixed the erroneous data it was reporting through Solar Assistant in regard to changing the inverter settings remotely. For example, under the Battery Settings header I would see Back to Battery Voltage(and many of the other options) always at 20v. I could change the setting, click on Save and it would always revert back to 20v. After the firmware update everything now displays correctly and the inverter now accepts programing changes made through Solar Assistant. It's now the perfect cost effective system I had hoped it would be and it runs our home 24/7. Three more Sunpower panels to install this weekend and the bulk of the work is done.
It's been 10 weeks since your reflash, I was wondering if there had been any more incidences of no pv start. It was maybe 7 months before my first no pv start occurrence, which now appears to be happening more often. Not good with computers and not quite willing to risk bricking the aio just yet, but as time goes by, please keep us informed if the reflash continues to eliminate the issue. I may be forced to risk a reflash.

It's been 10 weeks since your reflash, I was wondering if there had been any more incidences of no pv start. It was maybe 7 months before my first no pv start occurrence, which now appears to be happening more often. Not good with computers and not quite willing to risk bricking the aio just yet, but as time goes by, please keep us informed if the reflash continues to eliminate the issue. I may be forced to risk a reflash.
Kornbread, I attempted to flash mine a few weeks ago and it fried my AIO. I even had signature solar go into my computer remotely and couldn't get it fixed. I had to replace my control board.

Kornbread, I attempted to flash mine a few weeks ago and it fried my AIO. I even had signature solar go into my computer remotely and couldn't get it fixed. I had to replace my control board.
This is what scares me. I am not good at computer.

This is what scares me. I am not good at computer.
And the other thing, I had to pay for a new one from Ian. I then had to file a claim with growatt to get a new board. I sent this back to Ian. But I lost out on about $40 of shipping charges which is not cool for a 3-4 month old unit.

Ah ok. I understand being apprehensive in regard to the firmware reflash if computers aren't your thing. It's really a simple process but unfortunately it's not very tolerant of mistakes. I'd still write to Growatt, get the link to the update and after reading the instructions and watching James's video, see if you're comfortable with giving it a shot. Just make sure both the inverter and your computer don't lose power while performing the flash. Incidentally, I did the reflash using my Surface Pro 7 running Windows 11.

My experience when it would fail to start the MPPT's seemed to be related to partly cloudy mornings. On days with full sun at sunrise there was never an issue, but if there were occasional clouds involved that would usually cause it to hiccup. We've had plenty of days like that, now that winter is approaching, and no failures so far. I'll update this thread as time goes on.

I am having a similar issue, the 6000T will charge at full power from the panels until the next day, when it will only see/use around 200w of solar.
I see various settings that might help and possible firmware updates. Can anyone provide a link to the latest firmware for the 6000T 150v pv input version PLEASE.

I am having a similar issue, the 6000T will charge at full power from the panels until the next day, when it will only see/use around 200w of solar.
I see various settings that might help and possible firmware updates. Can anyone provide a link to the latest firmware for the 6000T 150v pv input version PLEASE.
Write to usaservice@ginverter.com and explain the problem. They should respond with a google drive link to download the firmware if that will fix the problem. I haven't had any issues since flashing the new firmware in my 8000T. I'd gladly send you the firmware if I had it, but it's a different version for the 6000T.

I found this on the Growatt website. I'd still write to them first to be sure it's the right version and that it will actually fix the issue. Use this at your own risk:

Back