diy solar

diy solar

grunfos cu200

allo

hi, we have a grundfos cu200 someone who is no longer here set up with 3 big solarpanels set up feeding in to a box that says midnight and has a fuse switch thing on it then feeds in to the cu200. No electric comes out of the midnightbox when plugged in to other things. (does the solar power the cu200 screen?). The cu200 right plug, which i believe is supposed to go to some sensor instead was hooked up to a mini charge controller for solar to battery (which seems to not allow electric thru when hooked to other sources of power and batteries), and a little junction type thing, and a solarpanel behind it. so apparently the little panel is supposed to send electric to the cu200. the cu200 does not turn on. It seems neither left big solar nor right little solar are sending electric to it. however, when we get a battery sending electric thru a chargecontroller straight to either left, right, or both, still nothing. Does not turn on.

plants need water 2 days max.

what is the problem?

what should we do?

can we power the pump via battery with charge controller safely and bypass cu200?

thank you (yes im a noob)

worked until winter was over this year. a cord was found unplugged between little panel and junction. reattached but did not work
IMG_20240514_172711563_HDR.jpgIMG_20240514_172744358.jpgIMG_20240514_172755104.jpg

IMG_20240514_172706809_HDR.jpg

Do you have any test equipment such as a multi-meter? If you do and are comfortable doing voltage measurements you need to establish if you are getting power from your panels. If you can isolate it to a component or a connector you will have to something to work with. As it is now it is virtually impossible for a person remotely to troubleshoot the problem. I can not even get an idea of how it is supposed to work from your pictures.

You may need a service person familiar with installing Grundfos solar well pumps to visit your location.

Wow, tried finding an install manual, Grundfos has terrible literature.

here is their QUICK GUIDE

it appears that pump runs off the solar directly. So you need a PV source and probably the contacts made on the float switch?

Id start in the Midnite combiner box with a DC multimeter, you may have to wait for sun to hit those panels.

I don't see anything that would require a separate 12V battery / CC and a small panel by itself.

Last edited:
If you take a wider angle on your picture - i.e. step back or zoom less so all wires are visible it will help. If you are comfortable take the covers off or open up the items that are wired up and take another picture. The purpose is to see where and how the wires route and what they are connected to.

Then do your best to do a wiring diagram just by looking. Indicate which wire was loose as well. If any of the device screws are labeled put that on your diagram. Put a piece of blue painters tape on each wire with a number and put that in your diagram.

If there is any loose equipment that wasn't hooked up in the box just lay it to the side or get it out of the way. This includes the battery. Don't disconnect anything, just label and draw....

After that if you are comfortable with a meter taking readings we should be able to tell you where to check and for what.

can we power the pump via battery with charge controller safely and bypass cu200?
I assume you also have an SQF pump. Based on what you've shared it seems like someone really missed the boat on your system design and installation, might be time for a reassessment and subsequent do over of that set up.

But back to the current problem:

That pump can take 30-300 VDC or 90-240 VAC at 50/60 Hz.

You can wire the modules in series, if they aren't already, and feed them directly to the pump and be pumping water in about 10 minutes.

Do you have any sort of generator? Any suitcase style generator of ~1500 watts or more will run it just fine.

I assume you also have an SQF pump. Based on what you've shared it seems like someone really missed the boat on your system design and installation, might be time for a reassessment and subsequent do over of that set up.

You can wire the modules in series, if they aren't already, and feed them directly to the pump and be pumping water in about 10 minutes.

Do you have any sort of generator? Any suitcase style generator of ~1500 watts or more will run it just fine.
IMG_20240516_133119388.jpg
thankyou! the middle one is to the pump we believe. the white thing is a charge controller we have with a battery available, and this is the generator. can go to town and pick up whatever we need including i will get a multimeter. thank you so much! what do we do?

Attachments

• IMG_20240516_133902396_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240516_133902396_HDR.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240516_134047228.jpg
    IMG_20240516_134047228.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 3

just got it flowing. thank u so much!

Woohoo!
I was reading and watching the thread. If nothing worked out for you I would make a side trip on the way to my friend's place in Gifford.
Problem: I was not going there for at least 10 days and the plants would be cooked by then.

Back