diy solar

diy solar

Hail damage in Texas.

The video is misleading in trying to make people think their tax dollars has to pay for broken solar panels. The company that owns it pays for it. No taxpayer involvement.

When an oil refinery blows up, who plays for it? Same as above, the company that owns it, which is the gasoline company. But firefighters are needed when a refinery blows up. And then EPA cleanup and all. Who pays for that? The taxpayers.

So when do taxpayers pay? You guessed it.
On Long Island we had a utility called Long Island Lighting Company. The local
politicians put them out of business when they tried to open a nuke plant to provide clean affordable power, and they "took over" the business for the "peoples sake", to keep prices low.
They renamed it the Long Island Power Authority.
Now everyones prices have skyrocketed, they cant keep the power on in storms, and the taxpayers had to subsidized all the repairs after hurricane Sandy. There is no recourse, as its government owned and run.
Just a warning to make sure in your area you vote out anyone trying to take over your local utility.

Anyone see these covers like whats on this one? Looks like its intent is to evenly distribute light? Idk maybe help with angle? Interesting idea..

Mount them vertical 🤷‍♂️

That "x" post is ridiculous. Whoever owns it pays for it....
I'm sorry, but have you met our judicial/political system of late? Someone will cry that the storm caused catastrophic damage and that a state of emergency needs to be declared and federal funds allocated. Watch and see if that doesn't happen.

Last edited:
I've driven past the solar farms off of rt 36 for years. They put up all of the racks years and years ago and never put the panels on them.

It always seemed odd to me that they'd put in so much money but not actually make it functional. It seemed like there was some sort of scam going on since it made no sense to pay so much without trying to actually complete the project.

It's odd that the tweet suggests that these are the panels that were broken in a hail storm. Odder yet that there is no mention of this on any news site or any other place on the internet.

Who is this Corey Thompson person? What is his motivation for this fabrication?

I'm sorry, but have you met our judicial system of late? Someone will cry that the storm caused catastrophic damage and that a state of emergency needs to be declared and federal funds allocated. Watch and see if that doesn't happen.
Thats not how disaster relief works. This is no different than the local airport that happened to have a new Boeing airliner sitting outside with hail damage.

The government does offer low interest loans to help rebuild for private entities. The "free money" goes to local branches of government for cleanup.

If you are concerned about tax dollars going towards solar, everyone in America gets a 30% tax credit on installed solar... been going on for years... its a very very large number.

On Long Island we had a utility called Long Island Lighting Company. The local
politicians put them out of business when they tried to open a nuke plant to provide clean affordable power, and they "took over" the business for the "peoples sake", to keep prices low.
They renamed it the Long Island Power Authority.
Now everyones prices have skyrocketed, they cant keep the power on in storms, and the taxpayers had to subsidized all the repairs after hurricane Sandy. There is no recourse, as its government owned and run.
Just a warning to make sure in your area you vote out anyone trying to take over your local utility.
Nobody is taking over my local utility. lol

I've driven past the solar farms off of rt 36 for years. They put up all of the racks years and years ago and never put the panels on them.

It always seemed odd to me that they'd put in so much money but not actually make it functional. It seemed like there was some sort of scam going on since it made no sense to pay so much without trying to actually complete the project.

It's odd that the tweet suggests that these are the panels that were broken in a hail storm. Odder yet that there is no mention of this on any news site or any other place on the internet.

Who is this Corey Thompson person? What is his motivation for this fabrication?

It might be similar to the phone company.... the have to amortize off new fiber and conduit for 7 years..... the can't write off repairs or upgrades until it is no longer considered 'new'.... business tax codes.

I'm sure that someone will blame the solar panels for the weather.

A US town has rejected a proposal for a solar farm following public concerns.

Members of the public in Woodland, North Carolina, expressed their fear and mistrust at the proposal to allow Strata Solar Company to build a solar farm off Highway 258.

During the Woodland Town Council meeting, one local man, Bobby Mann, said solar farms would suck up all the energy from the sun and businesses would not go to Woodland, the Roanoke-Chowan News Herald reported.

"Jane Mann, a retired science teacher, said she was concerned the panels would prevent plants in the area from photosynthesizing, stopping them from growing.

Ms Mann said she had seen areas near solar panels where plants are brown and dead because they did not get enough sunlight."

Stuff that's in perpetual shade prob isn't going to grow much. Trust in the science....

I thought panels were more resilient? I'm about to start looking at panels and live around Texas / Oklahoma border so I want good panels that have decent hail resistance. Any brands or special certifications to look for on panels for this?

I wonder if their mount tension was different or something thermal went on as well, because simply hitting them with hail and even golf balls usually does nothing.

Santan Solar is licking their chops!

"Cracked front glass, does not affect power output or dielectric properties"
lol
I have some massively cracked ones in my array, working fine for like 6 months.
All the posts I've read say to remove them, but all my inverters say to keep them.

Wow - imagine the damage to cars, roofing, anything really.
Did any Forum Members get hit by this?, or was it isolated to a small local area where conditions were just right for this to happen?
Isolated hail storms there and some other places. Several tornadoes going on.
I & family were hit by the storm (in different states) but it was just rain for me, they had tornado.

In colorado denver area several years back we had hail like that, some malls etc had their entire roofing destroyed and closed down for year+
I was at a best buy watching it destroy all the cars in the dealerships
I guess it was 2017 it happened
our panels were fine there too, was worse in the mountains

I've seen news stories about large solar fields.
I didn't really pay attention to what was said.
But it looked like these large arrays attracted wild goats and sheep. They appeared to be eating all of the vegetation in the area.
I'm not the kind of person who spreads rumors. But I think this could be the end of the world. lol

The planet will be eaten by a star-goat and only Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B will survive.

"The Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B was a way of removing the basically useless citizens from the planet of Golgafrincham. A variety of stories were formed about the doom of the planet, such as blowing up, crashing into the sun or being eaten by a mutant star goat. The ship was filled with all the middlemen of Golgafrincham, such as the telephone sanitisers, account executives, hairdressers, tired TV producers, insurance salesmen, personnel officers, security guards, public relations executives, and management consultants."

Back