diy solar

diy solar

Hello everyone I am looking for advice!

miketig

Hi, my name is mike and I am looking into install my own solar system, the actual physical installation of the system is of no concern to me as that I am a builder who can build just about anything, I feel it would be wise to gather up as much advice about specifications of working solar systems from those who have already undergone installing a system. I will start off by saying that I am currently interested in a system that will be off grid style but with the option of still being able to use the grid if needed. I am thinking of a ground mounted with directional sun following capabilities, probably something that will be mounted a concrete Colum. Something to consider is the location for this mounting is about 200' away from my house. I also have a barn/workshop with a large south facing 10/12 pitch roof that I am considering adding solar too as second workshop solar system. but that's going to be latter. At the moment most of my electricity is consumed in my home and not the workshop, my highest consumption in the home usually happens in the summer months which so far at the highest is about 1200 KW per month. and at the lowest in winter at about 750kw which will probably change do to I am considering installing mini splits for heating. I would like to install something that is MORE than capable of handling all electrical consumption needs, One among many questions I have is does it make sense to have additional battery's added to a system and if so what is currently the better batteries out there? Another is what would be the benefits of installing a larger system as opposed to a smaller one? What are some of the different systems out there ? Being a retired builder I have a lot of time on my hands and I am the type of person to help out others so if there are any others out there in the south coast of Massachusetts and Rhode Island area who are considering a DIY solar system feel free to join in the conversation as that I am willing to help others with my building abilities for such projects, and those who already have undertaken such a project feel free to give some input!
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
One among many questions I have is does it make sense to have additional battery's added to a system and if so what is currently the better batteries out there? Another is what would be the benefits of installing a larger system as opposed to a smaller one?
Well I think the first steps would be looking in the FAQs and doing an energy audit and reading here on threads doing similar to your goals to achieve the vernacular to develop practical questions that are arrow-true versus water balloons.

You state you want to cover ALL your electrical needs with solar. First find out what the load habits and maximums are with an energy audit. Then defining the equipment necessary can be planned.

Well I think the first steps would be looking in the FAQs and doing an energy audit and reading here on threads doing similar to your goals to achieve the vernacular to develop practical questions that are arrow-true versus water balloons.

You state you want to cover ALL your electrical needs with solar. First find out what the load habits and maximums are with an energy audit. Then defining the equipment necessary can be planned.
I agree, I already have a yearly energy audit from the electric suplier, my thought of a comfotable evaluation of calculated suply demands is to aproch the figures in a maner as to take my highest points of energy consumtion and use thouse as the basis for figureing, then once I decide wich products to use, I feel if I take and size them to the lowwer point of there rateing to the highest point of my energy use it will be a safe place to be as far as any future energy reqiurements. A major problem even more so today is all the nonesense out there on all aspects of sales and performance of the products available. I think that what most people do not know is that a extreemly lage amount the products with few exceptions are made from the same maufacturers being sold as seperate lableing, thus a simerler product of a certain quality can be found for a reasonable amount by others in the sales end of the products. The solar trend epspecially today has turned out to be one of the bigest areas where a lot of peole are being taken advantage of and they dont even realise it. So as far as finding proper products to do the job I think forums like these are definatly a great way in assisting ones desections .

I run an 18kw PV with a 108kwh battery bank and dual 12,000w inverters to power my home. It produces 18,000kwh of PV of which I get 15,000w of useable power a year. The system is fantastic in the sense that I can truly make my own power with minimal ongoing maintenance.

A key design issue is off-grid (battery + with grid or generator assist), grid-tie (no-battery + sell excess to grid) or hybrid (in-between).

A key scale issue is that in my location I get ~25% of the PV in winter I get in the summer. Use PVWatts for your location to see what you're likely to get- https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php This allows me 8 months I could live comfortably 100% on solar but 3-4months of winter... is brutal. You either have to over produce in winter and waste power the rest of the year (or grid-tie sell to power company) OR have an assist plan (grid, generator, wind, hydro) for winter.

My best advice is to build a smaller but fully functional system - and get experience operating it. This will bring focus, answer questions, and you'll become clear over time as to what you want *exactly*.

Then expand until you reach your goals - e.g. start with 1 inverter but leave room for 2 or 3 or 4 you can parallel to increase available AC power. Start with 15 panels but leave room for 30, 45, 60, 100 panels. Start with 10kwh battery bank (if doing off grid or hybrid) but leave room to expand to 30kwh, 60kwh, 100kwh etc.

Last edited:
I run an 18kw PV with a 108kwh battery bank and dual 12,000w inverters to power my home. It produces 18,000kwh of PV of which I get 15,000w of useable power a year. The system is fantastic in the sense that I can truly make my own power with minimal ongoing maintenance.

A key design issue is off-grid (battery + with grid or generator assist), grid-tie (no-battery + sell excess to grid) or hybrid (in-between).

A key scale issue is that in my location I get ~25% of the PV in winter I get in the summer. Use PVWatts for your location to see what you're likely to get- https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php This allows me 8 months I could live comfortably 100% on solar but 3-4months of winter... is brutal. You either have to over produce in winter and waste power the rest of the year (or grid-tie sell to power company) OR have an assist plan (grid, generator, wind, hydro) for winter.

My best advice is to build a smaller but fully functional system - and get experience operating it. This will bring focus, answer questions, and you'll become clear over time as to what you want *exactly*.

Then expand until you reach your goals - e.g. start with 1 inverter but leave room for 2 or 3 or 4 you can parallel to increase available AC power. Start with 15 panels but leave room for 30, 45, 60, 100 panels. Start with 10kwh battery bank (if doing off grid or hybrid) but leave room to expand to 30kwh, 60kwh, 100kwh etc.

Yes a very wise way to proceed, now on a system that you have currently what was your total expnse on it and was it DIY?

Yes a very wise way to proceed, now on a system that you have currently what was your total expnse on it and was it DIY?
The $ add up - my current return on investment @ 11c/kwh Oregon power = 23.3years. The batteries/off-grid setup are about 50% of the cost. So no it's not cost effective for me personally but..... power prices are sure to go up and my personal goals are 1) for the FUN of doing it! and 2) strong prepper motivations :)

Reactions: JLD
The real question in relation to your situation is: What could he build it for now, using the products available now?

The real question in relation to your situation is: What could he build it for now, using the products available now?
Off-grid orientation:
Let's say 12 used 375w panels ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/265775578295?hash=item3de1757cb7:g:AskAAOSw3Rxi2YQJ ) = $2100
Let's say an MPP all-in-one 6000w (https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/lvx6048/) = $1200 **You can expand up to 9 of them in parallel.
Let's say a couple of EG4 rack mount (https://eg4electronics.com/products/all-products/batteries/eg4-lifepower4-48v-100ah/) = $3000
Misc - panel mounting, wire, monitoring, x, y, z = $3000

This yields: 4.5kw PV, 6000w inverter, 10kwh battery bank. This might give 6,500kwh PV / 5,400kwh per year of consumable power for $9300. To many factors to estimate with any certainty!!! Another reason to start small (such as the checklist above) and then go from there. :)

Last edited:
The $ add up - my current return on investment @ 11c/kwh Oregon power = 23.3years. The batteries/off-grid setup are about 50% of the cost. So no it's not cost effective for me personally but..... power prices are sure to go up and my personal goals are 1) for the FUN of doing it! and 2) strong prepper motivations :)
Wow, at a 24 year return I didnt even do the math and relize thats extreemly exspensive. Regardless of what ever your reasoning you did a realy GOOD thing! especially envirornmentaly speaking! Myself I am an old frugal mizer, one way or the other I will find a way to do it cheeply, thank goodness for my abilties, its obtaining things that is going to be the challange!
Thanks Mike

Off-grid orientation:
Let's say 12 used 375w panels ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/265775578295?hash=item3de1757cb7:g:AskAAOSw3Rxi2YQJ ) = $2100
Let's say an MPP all-in-one 6000w (https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/lvx6048/) = $1200 **You can expand up to 9 of them in parallel.
Let's say a couple of EG4 rack mount (https://eg4electronics.com/products/all-products/batteries/eg4-lifepower4-48v-100ah/) = $3000
Misc - panel mounting, wire, monitoring, x, y, z = $3000

This yields: 4.5kw PV, 6000w inverter, 10kwh battery bank. This might give 6,500kwh PV / 5,400kwh per year of consumable power for $9300. To many factors to estimate with any certainty!!! Another reason to start small (such as the checklist above) and then go from there. :)

I find that where one gets there product from plays an important factor on expenses. Here in the US we tend to pay a lot more for things than they are worth. It is an ABSOLUTE fact that the majority of product available in this counrty comes from other countries creating too many middlemen thus making things too inflated. Going directly to the source is usually the better option as long as one can determine what is junk and what is not! I have had luck in the past with useing Alibaba and getting products at reasonable cost, these forums are a good opertunity for us to weed out what the uncertaity of quality, reliabilty, and exspens may be!

@miketig
That works as long as you are doing it renegade/bandit style. You won't be able to play that game if you want to be legal in the eyes of the law, in most places in the US. :(

Unfortunatly what you are saying a lot of people belive is true, wich in fact it is Not, Dont live in fear of such nonsense, if you a good person with good intentions there is no one on this planet that can tell you what to do unless you allow it! If your fearing of such things you are going to allow such nonsense! The Great perpose of these forums is to get people to break out of the nonsense that controlls them, times are changeing, Be a GOOD person, change things for the better of all on this planet not limiting to only people but all the life including the planet itself ! SOLAR is a great start in this process just dont get caught up in the BS. No renegade/ bandit style needed, Just good intentions without the fear, If at some point you can comprehend the epowerment that I am speaking of, Go With It , and dont allow others to stop from doing whats right!!!

I find that where one gets there product from plays an important factor on expenses. Here in the US we tend to pay a lot more for things than they are worth. It is an ABSOLUTE fact that the majority of product available in this counrty comes from other countries creating too many middlemen thus making things too inflated. Going directly to the source is usually the better option as long as one can determine what is junk and what is not! I have had luck in the past with useing Alibaba and getting products at reasonable cost, these forums are a good opertunity for us to weed out what the uncertaity of quality, reliabilty, and exspens may be!
Call me crazy , but I take a certain amount of pleasure in buying gear from Americans, knowing I helped them in life, helping support my own kind, respecting that they need to make a living just as much as any of us do.
yea, I will pay a little extra to have an English speaking person from Texas or Nevada or Florida answer customer service when I need help with a product. It’s great to know a first name and feel good knowing they are there when you need them..it’s good when they remember you too.

I have no interest in buying a 4 dollar main disconnect or fuse to protect my whole system and then not even know who or where to call to discuss an issue that may arise…

Trying to squeeze the last dime of savings out of every product is one reason why we have wound up in the pickle we’re in .

Take care of your own so they can help take care of you.( as best as is possible) ..

With that said, good luck with your project, it sounds like a Great idea.

Call me crazy , but I take a certain amount of pleasure in buying gear from Americans, knowing I helped them in life, helping support my own kind, respecting that they need to make a living just as much as any of us do.
yea, I will pay a little extra to have an English speaking person from Texas or Nevada or Florida answer customer service when I need help with a product. It’s great to know a first name and feel good knowing they are there when you need them..it’s good when they remember you too.

I have no interest in buying a 4 dollar main disconnect or fuse to protect my whole system and then not even know who or where to call to discuss an issue that may arise…

Trying to squeeze the last dime of savings out of every product is one reason why we have wound up in the pickle we’re in .

Take care of your own so they can help take care of you.( as best as is possible) ..

With that said, good luck with your project, it sounds like a Great idea.
Acually Capitlizing off one another is a reson why where in the pickle where in! Among other reasons like seperating ourselfs from one another instead of uniting! So lets find some grounds we can unite on instead of focusing on the ones we cant. Do you know of good solar products out there you can recomend to those of us who may not have as much of a budget as others do? It would be a great thing if everyone is included in setting up a solar system especially those who do not have much coin.
Thanks Mike

Acually Capitlizing off one another is a reson why where in the pickle where in! Among other reasons like seperating ourselfs from one another instead of uniting! So lets find some grounds we can unite on instead of focusing on the ones we cant. Do you know of good solar products out there you can recomend to those of us who may not have as much of a budget as others do? It would be a great thing if everyone is included in setting up a solar system especially those who do not have much coin.
Thanks Mike
All opinions are valuable ,thanks for sharing yours… it says a lot ………..so anyway ,I will bow out here ….thanks……. you have a great day….

Capitlizing off one another is a reson why where in the pickle where in!
What?!

You do realize I hope that economists can demonstrate for 600 years how and why serfdom and slavery and all kinds of government treachery were overcome when economic and civil freedoms became more prevalent under a capitalist dichotomy, right?

If one has skills, marketable knowledge, or add value to a product, or purchase bulk and resell to the willing market I have a right and a moral responsibility to feed myself and family and secure my future profitably. But the more suppression of freedom the more corruption which ensures the masses are at best symbolically enslaved by those who didn’t, won’t, or cannot bribe or otherwise illegally leverage their prosperity. Capitalizing our investment in the market is how much of America eats everyday either by selling oneself to a business or taking the risks to engage in a business or productive trade.

Messing with production and supply and messing with the monetary system and covid etc combined with the general populace’s greed are why we’re in the pickle we’re in.

Back