diy solar

diy solar

Hello Everyone

• Thread starter Deleted member 102593
  • Start date
Welcome.

Shade on corner of top one will kill whole panel's production.
Roof may do better, although not at the particular season and time of this picture; looks like front wall is a good choice right now.

Got SCC or battery yet? Tell us your plans so we can advise something different if it doesn't look good.

Welcome !
Thank you :)

ello Zigs. I used to live in Kent (Chatham, Strood, Rainham, even Sheppey). Now I'm half the way around the world from there.

Hi Chilly, I've been to Sheppey. I live in Womenswold :)
Welcome.

Shade on corner of top one will kill whole panel's production.
Roof may do better, although not at the particular season and time of this picture; looks like front wall is a good choice right now.

Got SCC or battery yet? Tell us your plans so we can advise something different if it doesn't look good.

Thank you Hedges,

Will it? :eek:

I've got 4 leisure batteries in an insulated box with a 3000 w inverter and an 800 w inverter for small stuff like the lawnmower and chainsaw.

I have another 100 w panel which I'm planning on putting on the East side to catch the low sun at the moment (front faces South) :)

All cells are in series. If you shade 50% of one cell, entire panel's current will be limited to 50%.
Alternatively, if voltage is pulled low enough, can activate bypass diode and get full current but miss the output of a section. The 12V panel may have 2 sections, 2 bypass diodes, so that would be full current at nominal 6V, probably 9Vmp.

With several panels (of same current rating) connected in series, a bypass diode being activated due to shade on one panel can be a good thing.

I've got 4 leisure batteries in an insulated box with a 3000 w inverter and an 800 w inverter for small stuff like the lawnmower and chainsaw.

Leisure batteries, like auto/marine? Not true deep cycle so you can use them a bit, but best to avoid many deep discharges.

There are quality deep-cycle FLA, AGM, or Gel batteries good for 700 deep cycles or a few thousand shallow.

What do you have for a charge controller?
Some systems use PWM for "12V" panels and 12V battery.
Others use MPPT, which allows higher voltage PV string like 48V nominal, 72Vmp which could be 4 panels in series. All in series should be same current rating and same orientation.

I have another 100 w panel which I'm planning on putting on the East side to catch the low sun at the moment (front faces South) :)

I like multiple orientations in parallel, extends hours. It is OK to connect in parallel with panels (or strings of panels) of same voltage.

All cells are in series. If you shade 50% of one cell, entire panel's current will be limited to 50%.
Alternatively, if voltage is pulled low enough, can activate bypass diode and get full current but miss the output of a section. The 12V panel may have 2 sections, 2 bypass diodes, so that would be full current at nominal 6V, probably 9Vmp.

With several panels (of same current rating) connected in series, a bypass diode being activated due to shade on one panel can be a good thing.

Leisure batteries, like auto/marine? Not true deep cycle so you can use them a bit, but best to avoid many deep discharges.

There are quality deep-cycle FLA, AGM, or Gel batteries good for 700 deep cycles or a few thousand shallow.

What do you have for a charge controller?
Some systems use PWM for "12V" panels and 12V battery.
Others use MPPT, which allows higher voltage PV string like 48V nominal, 72Vmp which could be 4 panels in series. All in series should be same current rating and same orientation.

I like multiple orientations in parallel, extends hours. It is OK to connect in parallel with panels (or strings of panels) of same voltage.

Ta for that Hedges :)

I unplugged the top panel and tried a volt meter on it, it was foggy and I was getting 15 volts reading on it.

Yep, leisure batteries that had 110ah on the side, they cost £99 each so I'll look after them.

Took a pic of the charge controller today :)DSC02732.JPG

15V, what did the others show? Typically "12V" panels are 20Voc to 22Voc, 16Vmp to 19 Vmp.

Isc is a meaningful measurement of illumination. It may not reflect shading, because half the array could deliver 100% of Isc, the shaded half 50% Isc, and whole array at 0V shows 100% of Isc.

Vmp & Imp is what you'd like. That takes a tester or MPPT controller into a battery at low state of charge. I calculated Rload = Vmp/Imp, connected such a resistor, measured the current. That's how I identified some deteriorated modules in an array.

By the way, that is an "MPPT" brand PWM charge controller. So it might actually work somewhat with a 15 Voc panel. But that panel won't put out much current at 14V or so that the battery wants for charging.

How many amps is the controller rated for? Might be OK for small system, or may not deliver enough current to properly charge FLA. You've got 440Ah at 12V, and charging at a decent 0.13C would be 57A. At 14V, that's 800W, figure 1000W (STC) or more panels needed.

I've no idea what you are talking about Hedges. I just joined the forum to talk about what I was up to and check out a few opinions as to wether or not to add a wind turbine.

I've obviously come to the wrong place so I'm out of here.

Bye bye everyone :)

I've no idea what you are talking about Hedges. I just joined the forum to talk about what I was up to and check out a few opinions as to wether or not to add a wind turbine.

I've obviously come to the wrong place so I'm out of here.

Bye bye everyone :)

Wind turbine? First time that comes up in this thread.

I noted that the panel voltage you measured indicated it would not be very effective charging your battery.
And limitations of that charge controller.
Also, that your PV system wasn't large enough to adequately charge your batteries (which would result in them degrading and failing.)

You didn't say, "Explain it to me like I'm five."

Wind turbine? First time that comes up in this thread.

I noted that the panel voltage you measured indicated it would not be very effective charging your battery.
And limitations of that charge controller.
Also, that your PV system wasn't large enough to adequately charge your batteries (which would result in them degrading and failing.)

You didn't say, "Explain it to me like I'm five."

I didn't ask you to explain anything to me let alone treat me like an idiot.

I was just introducing myself to a forum that I thought might be a friendly one.

I lived off grid for three years, using solar and a small wind turbine, I'm no stranger to using solar electrics.

Thank you for "trying to help" but you've put me right off the place. I'll go back to my other forum where I've happily been a moderator for 10 years.

Good luck with making any more friends...

I really don’t feel like I’m the person to address this kind of behavior but it should change.

@Will Prowse, we have complete idiots like myself joining the forum and posting somewhat correct projects that got us through while looking for validation.

And then ‘some’ wealthy educated asshole narcissist(s) bombards the new member with how to “do it properly/perfectly” that only comes off as insulting and rude and drives off people that otherwise would cause no harm.

Keep in mind nature/god or whatever did not equally distribute looks, brains, knowledge, understanding and wealth. So maybe if you have more of these start off with being kind. Even if the original post comes off as pretentious and/or cocky!

We should pull a father figure and pat our “son/daughter” on the back and say well done first. Then suggest cheaper better/faster/safer solutions while keeping in mind the individuals dignity.

I also realize that this is an online forum where you’re exposed to the general public and the crazies that are aloud to roam the web like the guy that baited @Hedges into criticizing their setup and then promoting another forum that he’s an “admin” of then expressing jealousy after his feelings were hurt. I get it.

The key to communication is communicate on their level not yours.

Communication is an angry and needy bitch please pay in full for satisfactory results.

Ziggy, believe it or not is our friend.

They asked me to delete their profile so I'm required to do so. Unfortunate but I can't control others.

And I would have pointed out the top panel won't generate anything as well. I don't see an issue. We are here to maximize our systems. I get criticized all day, it's not a bad thing.

We are here to build and optimize. Pointing out an efficiency fault is not a bad thing. I don't care what level someone is. If I was starting out, I would love for other members to show me what I'm not doing right. Would help me out immensely.

And then ‘some’ wealthy educated asshole narcissist(s) bombards the new member with how to “do it properly/perfectly”
Excuse me.... Did you not read Code of Conduct... rule 3.. "
  • Be civil. If multiple members complain about disruptive behavior of a member, they will be banned. Be respectful to others, and treat others how you would like to be treated."
I personally find your comments regarding our @Hedges quite disrespectful.

With all due respect, if you look at the level of detail and the time @Hedges spends helping others, for no financial gain to himself, it is clear that those adjectives you are using above are totally unjust :( .

As one of many, many examples, look at how he helped me with an issue just yesterday in this thread...

Excuse me.... Did you not read Code of Conduct... rule 3.. "
  • Be civil. If multiple members complain about disruptive behavior of a member, they will be banned. Be respectful to others, and treat others how you would like to be treated."
I personally find your comments regarding our @Hedges quite disrespectful.

With all due respect, if you look at the level of detail and the time @Hedges spends helping others, for no financial gain to himself, it is clear that those adjectives you are using above are totally unjust :( .

As one of many, many examples, look at how he helped me with an issue just yesterday in this thread...
Y’all are totally blind. Growscout out.

Back