diy solar

diy solar

Help to decide between diesel heating and wood burner

Gueyog8a7

Not a solar question, but tangentially related as the highest priority reason to get my solar up and running is to have power for a heater, most which require electricity in some form for startup and background operation. Someone else posted a similar post here which apparently went unchallenged so I am just following the trend.

I am just about to get my electric sorted, all going well, when the remaining kit arrives.

I had been thinking of diesel for both cooker and heater. There are combihobs, which are not cheap at £1100+ from various companies. I figure that since my van is tiny (transit connect) this would keep space to a minimum while serving two important purposes.

Someone else mentioned in the linked thread though that they are using wood burning. I do like this idea for the sustainability aspect but I wonder if I would be able to store any capacity of fuel in my tiny van since the density is much less than diesel. Also I despise the smell of smoke. Is it inevitable that you will stink of smoke or have wood stoves come a long way since I used them in the 90s? I know there are cheap gas bottle stoves but would that be a smoke belcher as they seem quite simplistic. Nothing wrong with that except I cannot stand the smoke smell so that alone would turn me off. I am guessing that the well contained high tech ones with minimal expulsion in the living space would come at a high price tag. I saw some running upwards of £2k.

Another pro for the wood ones are they dont require electric to run but if you will stink and inhale smoke every day and that cannot be avoided that is a dealbreaker.

Just trying to figure pros and cons of each.

I'm a diesel heater whore so I'll pimp diesel heaters for a LOT of situations. Low cost, easy to maintain, diesel has high energy density, no smoke inside, runs on 12v system which makes it solar friendly, parts are readily available as well as books and video resources. The con's? Well, you have to know the tips for installation and know how to feed and maintain them, plus have a 12v system to power them and access to diesel which is more expensive than the tree limbs you get on the side of the road.

Sooo... yeah... diesel heaters forever!

trying to figure pros and cons of each
Wood burner in a small van has disadvantages, most of which you raised. A considerable disadvantage is being able to get insurance cover for a van conversion with a woodburner installed.
You have not mentioned LPG, propane, heating and cooking, or electric cooking with induction hob. These alternatives are attractive.

Diesel combination , apart from cost, have disadvantages, slow warm up time when cooking, heat when you don't need it in summer, reliability issues, expensive spare parts, instalation limitations , heat output at high level, ( you get cold feet) .
At £1800 for a unit, Wallis Duo, it seems expensive but perhaps not compared to alternatives .

In a small van , ( no LPG) my suggestion would be diesel heater, Chinese, Eberspacher, Planar, invest in more lithium and chargers, and have induction hob cooking.
If LPG is acceptable, Propex 2000 heater and gas hob.

Mike

You have not mentioned LPG, propane,
I can't even fathom a reason LPG (propane) wouldn't be the best solution for a van. I've been heating a 10 ft x 16 ft building 24/7 with a 40 lb tank for the past month (late Oct - Nov) in chilly Maine (US) and it just ran out. So, I'd think a similar tank would serve a van well, and you might be able to mount two of them (with automatic switchover between tanks) on the outside of the van, similar to an RV setup. Much less smoke and smell than either diesel or wood, and heat is basically instant for heating or cooking. Just be certain to also install a gas and CO2 detector, whatever you decide to do. Safety!

When using any fuel combustion-based heating it is a very good idea to have carbon monoxide alarms to monitor air.

Not sure how much I would trust cheap Chinese built diesel heaters for proper air-fuel mixture to minimize dangerous combustion byproducts.

If the air/fuel mixture is messed up on a diesel heater it will indeed produce a lot more CO and clog up with soot but that CO is exhausted outside and doesn't enter the living space unless you really screw up the installation. I've been using "5kw" Chinese diesel heaters for 4 or 5 years because they're cheap, efficient, simple, and work well. Diesel heat is the best I've found so far after using various types of propane heaters for many years. Lots of BTUs in a small space with diesel, and available self serve everywhere.

I can't even fathom a reason LPG (propane) wouldn't be the best solution for a van. I've been heating a 10 ft x 16 ft building 24/7 with a 40 lb tank for the past month (late Oct - Nov) in chilly Maine (US) and it just ran out. So, I'd think a similar tank would serve a van well, and you might be able to mount two of them (with automatic switchover between tanks) on the outside of the van, similar to an RV setup. Much less smoke and smell than either diesel or wood, and heat is basically instant for heating or cooking. Just be certain to also install a gas and CO2 detector, whatever you decide to do. Safety!

(Although I completely agree with you on LPG)

I was speaking to OP in another thread, his van is VERY small even for UK standard , he already has desiel on board in the vans tank, he says no space for a gas bottle

Back