diy solar

diy solar

Help updating a motorhome solar system

OHIO_Tom

I have a motorhome that came with 5 - 100 watt GoPower solar panels on it, they are Go Power 100 watt flexible panels (https://gpelectric.com/products/solar-flex-100-watt-expansion/)
Cell Type Monocrystalline
Rated Power (Pm) 100 W
Maximum Power (Vmp) 17.5V
Maximum Power Current (Imp) 5.68A
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 21.0V
Short Circuit Current (Isc) 6.28A
Maximum System Voltage 600VDC

I want to expand the system. I am wanting to purchase (4) of these 190 watt panels by Richsolar to add to the ones above (https://www.amazon.com/Richsolar-Ef...d_r=1E1QSNP2AYVQ649YSKYT&psc=1&qid=1582349832)

Specifications
Maximum Power(Pmax): 190W
Maximum Power Voltage(Vmp): 20.4V
Maximum Power Current(Imp): 9.31A
Open Circuit Voltage(Voc): 24.3V
Short Circuit Current(Isc): 9.86A
Maximum System Voltage(Vmax): 1000V DC

I have a Epever 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller 4210AN+MT50+TS-R+RS485 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077HHYYHT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Specifications
12 / 24VDC automatically identifying system voltage
Rated charge current: 40A
Max Input Power: 12V @ 520W | 24V @ 1040W
Max PV open circuit voltage:100VDC (92V at 25℃ temperature)
Battery type selection: lead-acid (Gel, Sealed, Flooded) and Lithium

Can I use this existing Epever charge controller or do I need a larger one? I would like to stay with this brand since I also have their Bluetooth adapter that is compatible with their 60,80, and 100 amp controllers.

My plan is to build 4 -12vdc 280 ah LiFePO4 batteries , wire 2 - 12 vdc into 1-24, then the 2-24vdc in parallel for 560 ah.

These batteries will be wired to a new 3000 watt 24vdc Xantrex Freedom SW 24 Vdc inverter/charger (http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/inverter-chargers/freedom-sw-24v.aspx)

What would be the best way to configure the panels? Series or parallel?

Do I need to add another 100 watt panel if wireing in series ? ( 2-12vdc to 1-24vdc )

I know I am asking a lot, any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.

The first thing that jumps out is that you have 500 watts of panels and plan to add 760 watts.

That seems to exceed this by quite a bit:
>Max Input Power: 12V @ 520W | 24V @ 1040W

Do you have a bigger SCC in mind? Its specs, input constraints in particular, will be important in determining how to make your panels work.

How are your existing 5 panels wired? Maybe that would be a good thing to start with going forward.
The 2 different types of panels are not very well matched to combine in strings so this will be tricky.

Your battery and inverter choices look great.

The first thing that jumps out is that you have 500 watts of panels and plan to add 760 watts.

That seems to exceed this by quite a bit:
>Max Input Power: 12V @ 520W | 24V @ 1040W

Do you have a bigger SCC in mind? Its specs, input constraints in particular, will be important in determining how to make your panels work.

How are your existing 5 panels wired? Maybe that would be a good thing to start with going forward.
The 2 different types of panels are not very well matched to combine in strings so this will be tricky.

Your battery and inverter choices look great.
I thought the Watts would exceed the 40A controller, would this 60A controller handle the panels?
https://www.amazon.com/Controller-N...ja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==MPPT

Solar Charge Controller 60A EPEVER Tracer 6415AN
Based on common negative design and advanced MPPT control algorithm
MPPT Charge efficiency > 99%
Technical Data: Nominal system voltage:12/24/36/48VDC auto work
Rated charge current :60A
Battery input voltage range: 8-68V
Max. PV open circuit voltage:150V(at minimum operating environment temperature) 92V(at 25℃ environment temperature)
MPP voltage range:V(BAT)+2V~108V
Max. PV input power: 750W/12V battery, 1500W/24V battery , 2250W/36V battery, 3000W/48V battery system
Max Wire Size: #2 AWG(35mm2)
Recommended Wire Size: #6 AWG(16mm2)

There is also a 80A and a 100A controller available, I just don't want to go too large and waste money but will purchase whatever is needed to do it right the first time. The 100 watt panels are flexible, on my rubber roof, secured by screws and Dicor sealant. I really do not want to remove them unless absolutely necessary.

EPEVER Mppt Solar Charge Controller 80a 12v/24v/36v/48v Auto Max 200V 6000W Inpot Power fit for Sealed/Gel/Flooded(Tracer 8420AN)

80A Controller Parameter
Rated charge current : 80A
Grounding: Common Negative
LCD backlight time: 60S(Default)
Terminal : 35mm2 (2AWG)
Net Weight: 6.1kg(13.42 lb)
Conversion efficiency: ≤98.7%
Wattage: 1000W-6000W, MAX input power: 1500W/12V, 3000W/24V, 4500W/36V, 6000W/48V
Battery Type: Sealed/Gel/Flooded/User
Max. PV open circuit voltage: 200V
Rated charge Power : 1000W/12V 2000W/24V 3000W/36V 4000W/48V
As for how these 100 watt panels are wired, I have no idea, I can call the dealer tommorow, they installed them.

Thanks for the reply ?

Last edited:
As for how these 100 watt panels are wired, I have no idea, I can call the dealer tommorow, they installed them.
Yea, especially since they sound well secured, it would likely be best to leave those intact if possible.

I am thinking if you cannot determine how the existing panels are wired by inspecting them, this project might be a stretch. You'll also need to be pretty handy with a electronic multi-meter.

Yea, especially since they sound well secured, it would likely be best to leave those intact if possible.

I am thinking if you cannot determine how the existing panels are wired by inspecting them, this project might be a stretch. You'll also need to be pretty handy with a electronic multi-meter.
I will call them in the morning and post my findings.
Thank you for your help.

I will call them in the morning and post my findings.
Thank you for your help.
I called the dealer that installed the existing 5-100watt panels and they are wired in parallel, and get this, the motorhome, a 2019 Thor Outlaw 37 GP ( class A ) came from the factory pre wired for solar using a 10a Go Power controller capable of handling 1 -160 watt panel and the dealer hooked up these 5-100 watt panels to it ?, I had replaced it with the EpEver 40a controller a month ago when I realized what they did BTW I know I will need to upgrade all the wireing to add the new panels. This is why I am trying to learn all I can about upgrading the system, before I go buy anything. Thanks for the help and education.

Consider adding the other SCC in parallel wit the one you have run the new panels to the new SCC and the old panels to the existing one you have. This would insure maximum efficiency from panels that are slightly different in volt and amp ratings. Connecting your existing panels with new ones in some sort of series parallel configuration will work but since they are of both different amp ratings and volt ratings will incur some energy loss

Consider adding the other SCC in parallel wit the one you have run the new panels to the new SCC and the old panels to the existing one you have. This would insure maximum efficiency from panels that are slightly different in volt and amp ratings. Connecting your existing panels with new ones in some sort of series parallel configuration will work but since they are of both different amp ratings and volt ratings will incur some energy loss
Very good idea, thank you so much. So much GOOD knowledge in this forum ?

The drawback I see to this is your bluetooth adapter probably only works with one device. Is it easily switchable between 2 SCC?
I don't know if the Bluetooth adapter will support 2 scc, I sent a message to the seller, awaiting their reply, if it does not they are only $27 I'll just get an additional one. Its mounted location makes it hard to switch between 2 scc.

I don't know if the Bluetooth adapter will support 2 scc, I sent a message to the seller, awaiting their reply, if it does not they are only $27 I'll just get an additional one. Its mounted location makes it hard to switch between 2 scc.
Seller said I would need to purchase another one.

Back