diy solar

diy solar

Help us design a rack-mounted system for the UK

one just now,its money side of things for now,just wanted to see if that fills up first along with usual loads from house then get another!

do you have only the one Fogstar battery ???

If so, it does not seem like enough.
All depends on one's own requirements and budget. You and me obviously have more (20kWh and 15kWh respectfully).

A single 5.1kWh is perfect for 'load balancing' out the clouds in the day and keep you going into the evening, especially if you cook with gas. As always it's a law of diminishing returns (ROI-wise).

And he can always add to the setup later in the year if demand and budget dictates.

Thanks SeaGal and Urge38,as said before all info appreciated and not going to rush.just didnt like exported energy but if battery fills i will definately get another as got the rack unit aswell!!

Thanks SeaGal and Urge38,as said before all info appreciated and not going to rush.just didnt like exported energy but if battery fills i will definately get another as got the rack unit aswell!!
Sounds a good plan. If you can get the rack nearer the Solis, all the better; if not, you will need to invest in thicker cables.

All depends on one's own requirements and budget. You and me obviously have more (20kWh and 15kWh respectfully).

A single 5.1kWh is perfect for 'load balancing' out the clouds in the day and keep you going into the evening, especially if you cook with gas. As always it's a law of diminishing returns (ROI-wise).

And he can always add to the setup later in the year if demand and budget dictates.

well !!!! ish !!!! may be !!!

I had ordered three 5KW batteries, but after reading the Manuel in more depth, schneider recommends a MINIMUM of 400amps, so I had to bite the bullet and buy another one.

my point being, I did not make the schneider, schneider did (obviously) they know the internal workings and its requirements.
who are we to argue hence me advising joe900 follows his manufacturers recommendations.

I was totally un aware there was a minimum requirement battery amp for my inverter, but luckily, I read said Manuel (not fully yet lol)

thanks for replys,where would be the best place to source 4m battery cables and what size is recomended to connect the fogstar battery as need longer cable to reach where battery going to be thanks.Uk suppliers preferably??
Here's another UK supplier:
Not sure what prices are like!

@Ben@Fogstar

Hi Ben

It might be helpful to add here, what system files you need to download your pbms software tool you have on your web page.
It won't open directly unless we know the programme it was written with ??

If you download the BMS-Inverter-Protoco-HY.zip file and extract the files you will have PbmsTools.exe and a PDF file showing you how to set your protocol. It runs in Win 10 fine for me.
Edit: just tried the zip and cant see the pdf file, seems to be missing now.

Last edited:
If you download the BMS-Inverter-Protoco-HY.zip file and extract the files you will have PbmsTools.exe and a PDF file showing you how to set your protocol. It runs in Win 10 fine for me.
Edit: just tried the zip and cant see the pdf file, seems to be missing now.

I simply downloaded it from Fogstars web page, under the download tools, but it wont open

your computer must already have the tool to open it (say pdf, adobe etc etc) mine pc asked to Seach for a tool to open it and cant find one.

hence my question, if Fogstar could mention the tool needed to talk/understand there download language/file/programme (you know what I mean lol

thanks for replys,where would be the best place to source 4m battery cables and what size is recomended to connect the fogstar battery as need longer cable to reach where battery going to be thanks.Uk suppliers preferably??
Just spotted... fogstar actually now sell 4m long d.c. cables...

I simply downloaded it from Fogstars web page, under the download tools, but it wont open

your computer must already have the tool to open it (say pdf, adobe etc etc) mine pc asked to Seach for a tool to open it and cant find one.

hence my question, if Fogstar could mention the tool needed to talk/understand there download language/file/programme (you know what I mean lol
Win 10 has its own unzipper, though I have winzip on my pc.
How do I unzip a file in Windows 10 for free?

Zip and unzip files
  1. Open File Explorer and find the zipped folder.
  2. To unzip the entire folder, right-click to select Extract All, and then follow the instructions.
  3. To unzip a single file or folder, double-click the zipped folder to open it. Then, drag or copy the item from the zipped folder to a new location.

Yes, you just need to extract the files from the folder, and then open PBMSTools.

Just ordered the 15kw rack… I haven’t bought the inverter yet. My installer has put a few Solis ones in. He was suggesting using pylontech, but it doesn’t look like there‘s much advantage over fogstar. Do the Solis inverters still require custom battery code or does it all work out of the box now?
(no solar, for time shifting energy)

Just released Solis update V3. All issues fixed now.

It's been a bit of a journey. Thanks to @Oldman2 and @SeaGal for their help.
Seems like a good time to get on the journey to 7.5p electricity 24 hours a day. Is the update to the inverter, or to the bms on the rack? Is it automatic or does the user install it?
thanks, excited and oozing forward to the end of the month…

Last edited:
The next batch will come with the new firmware pre-installed, but we're always improving different integrations. Updating the BMS firmware on the batteries is pretty simple though, so nothing to worry about.

I see there's a end of july date for new orders of the 15kwh rack, are the existing orders still anticipated for the end of June?
thanks

Hi me again,recently installed fogstar rack battery to silis 3.6 hybrid inverter,battery shows to be connected in app,CAN connected,woke this morning to battery down to 38% and solar going to grid not battery?? any help appreciated on settings.Also set battery to pylon in bms tool first then pylon on inverter!?

Back