diy solar

diy solar

Help with error code 13

ShelbyWatson

I have the 24v all in one mppt and today I got a fault warning with error code 13.
When I looked it up, it stated
Solar charger stops due
to high PV voltage.. that means the voltage from the solar panels? How can this happen?

How many panels do you have in series? What is their Voc and Vmp? What are the winter low temperatures like in your area right now? What is the voltage limit of your controller? In the winter, your panel voltage will go up. For example, with a panel have a Voc of 37.0V at room temperature, it may have a Voc of 40+V at freezing. And, the colder it gets, the higher the voltage will go.

It's reasonable to think that the voltage spiked on a very cold morning to a level that exceeds your controller's limit, and it's shutting off to protect itself. You can go online and search for "solar string calculator" and find a site offering a plug-in spreadsheet. I use the one at "http://www.midnightsolar.com/". At their site, click on "PRODUCTS"; Charge controllers, Classic; and then "Classic Sizing Tool".

I have 6 100watt 24v panels hooked in series so the total v is 144.
Ok, well I know right now my voltage was not far under what it would handle and it's in the low 30s today.
So, if I break my panels into 2 sets of series hooked together i should be ok?

A "24V" panel isn't 24V, it is about 44V, so probably way over voltage, depending on your gizmo's specs.
What are its specs?

Yes, 3s2p connection is probably good. But, what is the max Voc spec of your all in one? What is it's spec for MPPT voltage range?

3S2P might be too high, particularly with 30°F weather (unless that's 30°C). I have 24V panels with a Voc of 47 or so. 3S + cold busted my Victron's 150V limit, so I lazied and replaced it with a 250/100.

2S may be the practical limit on a 24V nominal panel.

A "24V" panel isn't 24V, it is about 44V, so probably way over voltage, depending on your gizmo's specs.
What are its specs?

Yes, 3s2p connection is probably good. But, what is the max Voc spec of your all in one? What is it's spec for MPPT voltage range?
max pv input voc as 145

If your PV panel is 44Voc (I don't have your spec so guessing), 3 in series would be 132V. The max 145Voc input is 13V or 10% higher, not much margin.

I don't have the temperature coefficient of your panels, either. Often found on data sheet but not label.
I've seen -0.3% to -0.4% per degree C. If -0.4%/degree, then at 25 degrees below ambient (0 degrees F or freezing), voltage would increase 10%.

If it ever gets cold enough to freeze or have frost on the ground in your location, then 3 panels in series would be too high a voltage.
So only put two in series, 2s3p as Snoobler suggested.

Back